Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

‘71 uo-8

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-18, 10:58 AM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 196 Posts
‘71 uo-8

This is my current daily. Being hit with hard finances, and suffering a bum knee put me in the hard position of selling a couple of bikes a earlier this year. I really missed riding for a while. But the wallet, and the knee have both recovered well enough, that I began searching out a “new” bike.

I found this Peugeot on CL listed for $100 which is quite cheap for my area. I almost passed it over however due to a lack of experience with French bikes, and the color. The color just wasn’t doing it for me. Realizing though that I’d be hard pressed to find something else desirable in that price point, I checked it out anyway.

In person, the color struck me as both stunning, and attractive. Turns out the seller, a lady who had owned the bike most of her life, just didn’t catch the bike in good light when photographing it for the ad. She claimed, and as far as I can confirm from research, the bike is all original save for the older replaced tires. Even came with the frame pump which unfortunately doesn’t work anymore. I gave it a short test ride, and it checked out as only needing a small amount of minor work, but nothing immediate. It fit well for being a tad tall. She knocked 20 bucks off, and I took it home.

Riding it around town the past couple of weeks has been a joy. I heard these are comfortable frames, and now I have to agree. I’m in no rush with it, but I do plan on swapping the death stem out, giving it an alloy wheelset, and getting rid of the “ass hatchet” saddle. New cables are on the list too, but that’d be about it. I like this bike very much otherwise as is!

Last edited by deux jambes; 07-10-18 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Textual corrections
Old 07-10-18, 11:29 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Oh Man, I love the color! The stem looks like it may be over extended, though. Probably should check that before riding. And I'd lose that flimsy rack, unless you just need a place to put your windbreaker when you get too warm from riding.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 07-10-18, 11:30 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,596 Times in 3,782 Posts
Great color!
Old 07-10-18, 11:42 AM
jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by deux jambes

She claimed, and as far as I can confirm from research, the bike is all original save for the older replaced tires. Even came with the frame pump which unfortunately doesn’t work anymore.
Nice. I like the color, a not-too-common color it seems. The rear derailleur is a more modern replacement. If the frame pump is a Ventolux, they're quite valuable, working models fetching near $100. They can easily be restored, the most-often cause is a deteriorated plunger cup, which is made of leather. You can buy replacement cups. I made a new cup for mine out of scrap leather, and it works fine now. If you replace the stem, you can easily find someone here in the forum that would trade you for something you need.
Old 07-10-18, 12:13 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
The bike looks great. I don't remember ever seeing this color myself. It seems to be in great shape. You have the right idea. Ride it, enjoy it adn update cable, stem and rim as money and time become available. Oh, and handlebar tape.
Old 07-10-18, 12:23 PM
deux jambes

Thanks for the compliments on the color all! I’m with you. As mentioned, the ad photos didn’t represent it well, and actually served as an initial turn off. The photo above is my own, and is much truer, showing the vibrancy of tone. Up close, it has that translucent candy quality as well. I love it! And indeed it seems uncommon. There’s almost a Peugeot on every block in town it seems, but I can’t recall ever seeing one in this color.

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
The stem looks like it may be over extended... And I'd lose that flimsy rack
The stem is borderline. I need to drop some lube down it’s surface and give it a knock or two with a mallet as it’s refusing to budge by hand. In the mean time I’ve been very mindful about reading the road while riding. The rack, and matching kickstand have already been removed since taking the photo. I can’t justify a need for either one, and I’m always a fan of a cleaner profile.

Originally Posted by jj1091
The rear derailleur is a more modern replacement. If the frame pump is a Ventolux... They can easily be restored... If you replace the stem, you can easily find someone here in the forum that would trade you for something you need.
Thanks for pointing out the rear derailleur. Would the original have been Peugeot or Simplex branded? I would like to give a go at restoring the pump. It is a Ventolux! As for the stem, are you saying that folks are actually looking for these? I was under the impression that they’re common, but also undesirable due to safety concerns.

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I don't remember ever seeing this color myself... You have the right idea. Ride it, enjoy it adn update cable, stem and rim as money and time become available. Oh, and handlebar tape.
Yea the bar tape is as dirty as I’ve seen! I thought to rewrap on day one. However, to be frugal I‘m waiting until I swap the stem since I’ll be going with alloy bars at the same time. It’s a heavy bike, and I’d like to shed whatever weight I can while still keeping costs low as possible.

Last edited by deux jambes; 07-10-18 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-10-18, 12:33 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Nice find.
Old 07-10-18, 12:54 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 96 Posts
Thanks for pointing out the rear derailleur. Would the original have been Peugeot or Simplex branded?

It would have been a black Delrin plastic labeled Simplex.

I would like to give a go at restoring the pump. It is a Ventolux! As for the stem, are you saying that folks are actually looking for these? I was under the impression that they’re common, but also undesirable due to safety concerns.
The safety concern arises from the expansion slot cut into the stem. The slot was straight-cut, and the square edges at the end of the slot are stress risers. It can be fixed by drilling a fairly large round hole right at the end, which eliminates the stress risers.

In the alternative, you can get any modern quill stem and sand it down a bit so that it fits inside the steerer tube.
Old 07-10-18, 01:00 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,435 Posts
That doesn't look like the original saddle. It looks like a Brooks, better than the original. Also, the rack is not original, though it might have been installed at purchase time. Really nice find, terrific color, and it looks to be in excellent shape. The rear derailleur is slightly newer than the bike but still old.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-10-18, 03:00 PM
jj1091
Mike J

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for pointing out the rear derailleur. Would the original have been Peugeot or Simplex branded? I would like to give a go at restoring the pump. It is a Ventolux! As for the stem, are you saying that folks are actually looking for these? I was under the impression that they’re common, but also undesirable due to safety concerns.
The original would have been a Simplex Prestige, like this:
As for the stem, folks are always looking for these. Not saying they're overly valuable, just were used commonly enough that lots of bikes getting restored need one. I've used every brand of Peugeot-supplied stem from the 70's and only had one that was cracked or broken, and it was only because the corrosion in the steerer had welded the stem to the tube, and a previous owner broke it in half and left it in.

About the pump. It takes some finesse to make a replacement cup work, but you can look around and see what's done in videos. It took me a number of tries to get it right.
Old 07-10-18, 03:36 PM
Kdogbikes

Bikes: Gitane tdf,Schwinn 12.2,2 continentals,miyata310,univega supra soort,couple peugeots,ou8,ou10,a few mtb's and other bikes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 74 Posts

Nice bike in a sharp color! I put alloy wheels on mine even though I like steel rims. It does lighten the ride abit for sure. Here’s a pic just for the heck of it. Cheers, Kevin.
Old 07-10-18, 03:38 PM
deux jambes

Originally Posted by noglider
That doesn't look like the original saddle. It looks like a Brooks...”
I’m not so sure it’s a Brooks. A Brooks should have some form of tag in the rear correct? And possibly hangers for a bag. Someone observed that this saddle may have been trimmed at an angle to replicate a higher end saddle. Here it is though in case anyone can determine what make/model it might be.
Old 07-10-18, 04:09 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Various brands of inexpensive leather saddles were available in the '70s. Someone here may recognize that one.

About the pump---if the leather gasket in the plunger is still in place, try kneading it with mineral oil. Sometimes that all that's needed.
Old 07-10-18, 04:38 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
You'd be surprised how much interest a ratty old leather saddle generates, I was when I sold a couple on the Forum when I was in similar "hard finances" straights in the spring so don't bin it.

Since they made literally millions of UO-8s I don't want to use the word rare but that Purple is probably the least "common" color I have run across for UO-8s. Before you overhaul it be sure to read up on Sheldon Brown and Mytenspeeds about the unique opportunities of working on French steel 10/12 speeds, they are great riders. Have fun.
Old 07-10-18, 05:13 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
Arguably, the purple ones were the fastest... I know, I've done a lot of arguing.
Old 07-10-18, 05:49 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 96 Posts

I’m not so sure it’s a Brooks. A Brooks should have some form of tag in the rear correct? And possibly hangers for a bag. Someone observed that this saddle may have been trimmed at an angle to replicate a higher end saddle. Here it is though in case anyone can determine what make/model it might be.
calling Rudi Mayr! @rhm
Old 07-10-18, 06:00 PM
Honusms 

Bikes: More than my husband knows about

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 20 Posts
I’ve revived old leather pump cups with a little Lexol, then molded them over a pump tube end to set the shape overnight. Worked quite well. Love the purple!!!
Old 07-10-18, 06:17 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I don't think the saddle is a Brooks. The tension bolt looks flattened, whereas Brooks used a round bolt after 1950; and the two keyhole cutouts on the top are not a Brooks feature. They do look familiar, though.

My guess is this is a Soffatti Professional saddle, made in Spain, but I'll have to dig through my reference photos to be sure.

I see faint traces of a skirt stamp. Better photos of the side of the saddle might help.
Old 07-10-18, 06:23 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Close to my 1972 Purple one. Mine's a darker shade of purple.

The RD:

The saddle that came with mine, don't know if this was stock.

I switched over some alloy wheels off my old Fuji S12-2 and really improved the braking over the original steel wheels. But surprisingly the steel wheels were lighter.
Old 07-10-18, 06:26 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Someone around the forum also was 3D printing the plastic wingnuts.

Old 07-10-18, 10:50 PM
RandolphCarter
PeopleCode delaminator

Bikes: 1986 Trek 310 Elance, 1997 Schwinn HydraGlide, 1987 Trek Antelope 800, 2003 Haro F4, 198? Allsop Offroad Climber

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ryansu
before you overhaul it be sure to read up on sheldon brown and mytenspeeds about the unique opportunities of working on french steel 10/12 speeds
^^^ this^^^

You and others have already mentioned the stem I had a UO-8 with an Ava stem, and it snapped completely through on me. Thankfully I was in the driveway and not heading downhill. You really, really need to swap out that stem. One additional point to consider - it is very likely the clamp on a replacement stem is not compatible with your existing handlebars, and you would need to replace the bars and stem at the same time.

Trading out the wheels for a set with alloy rims will make a very noticeable improvement in riding pleasure, especially the improvement in braking. You could go with wheels from that era, or a totally new set - both options have positives and negatives.

If you want to scrounge up a set, many mid-70's Schwinns come with Normandy made "Schwinn Approved" high flange hubs laced to 27" alloy rims. Many Japanese bikes had wheels that were very derivative of these, with high flange Sanshin or Sunshine hubs laced to Araya or Ukai alloy 27" rims. There's millions of these sets around. Pluses - cheaper and will look 'correct' on the bike. Minuses - you might need to search for a while to find wheels where the hub, axle, spokes, and rim aren't basket cases.

If you want a new set, the Sun CR-18 rim is a great value and looks correct on 70's bikes. However, most wheelsets available built with this rim use modern low-flange hubs. Velomine has a set for $110. If you want something new that looks period-correct, Velo Orange has an absolutely gorgeous wheelset with high-flange hubs laced to really nice rims. They're more expensive at $380 for the set. Pluses - very little work to get up and running compared to hunting down old parts. Most likely they'll give you more miles before service is needed/spokes break/sidewalls wear through Also, new rims have a sidewall profile that does a better job of holding on the the tire bead than some older rims. Minuses - $$$, possibly looks out of place if low flange hubs are used.

Another option is to unlace your hubs from the steel rims and lace them up to alloy rims.

'You can keep using the headset and bottom bracket as long as they aren't damaged.

You mentioned you are getting new cables, you probably should also replace the brake pads and tires/tubes.

Looks great so far ad I love the purple color - never seen that shade before on a UO-8.
Old 07-11-18, 03:50 AM
jj1091
Mike J

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Someone around the forum also was 3D printing the plastic wingnuts.

I've got a spare one if you need it. They come from LoveCityCycles on ebay.
Old 07-11-18, 09:27 AM
altenwrencher

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What fun! I'd only add that the new rear derailleur with its longer cage probably means the chain has to be lengthened. This may or may not have been done. You'd see the need most dramatically on the big chainwheel to big rear cog combination. That might put quite a strain on things if the chain is too short.

Of course that is not a good combo to use, but shifting into it unintentionally should be made a survivable event.
Old 07-11-18, 09:33 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
... And I'd lose that flimsy rack, unless you just need a place to put your windbreaker when you get too warm from riding.
Them's fightin' words.

I have a Pletscher mousetrap rack on my UO-8, as well, and there is nothing flimsy about it, if properly installed. I usually hang my Rudy Project panniers on it and can easily carry 20-30 lbs of groceries.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-11-18, 10:49 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,435 Posts
The Pletscher rack wobbles under load, but it doesn't break, in my experience. But having said that, I prefer racks with more reinforcement, because I don't want it to wobble.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.