Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Visible Crack in Fork

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Visible Crack in Fork

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-21, 10:06 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_W
I would have thought that Step 1 should have been to take some photos of the crack that were IN FOCUS. Step 2 would have been to contact Trek. If Step 2 failed, maybe ask in an internet forum. Do all of this before deciding to sand away all the paint.
You't think, right? I can imagine seeing socks over shoes from this person.
Old 08-21-21, 10:28 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 1,687 Times in 1,085 Posts
It's great that you spotted this, and you even investigated it further. You know you are going to replace it. If nothing else because you put the MoJo on looking into and posting this thread. So now comes another decision and that is...

Do I replace it with another one just like it?
Replace it with Steel or Aluminum?

Either way its replacement is going to bring ya much relief...

Note: I don't have a Carbon bike, but its not because I don't want one... Ha
Old 08-22-21, 01:27 AM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
If this were my fork, I'd replace it.

Not because it's cracked... it isn't. The line is where the aluminum dropout fitting was glued into the carbon fork blade.

Not even because there's been structural damage to the carbon fiber tubing... there probably hasn't been. (Although I have no confidence in my ability to sand carbon fiber without damaging it.)

I'd replace it because, while I often have conversations with the voices in my head while riding, I wouldn't enjoy it if one of them occasionally whispered, "Hey... what about that fork? You know, if it broke right now, you'd totally die..." just as I'm braking into a hard downhill right-hander. (Yeah, yeah, I know. Sometimes they lie, and they're often wrong. But they don't always lie, and sometimes they're right.)

--Shannon
Yeah, but not everybody rides bikes like a Fittipaldi. I'd say, if you are not tempting the devil on your bike rides, I'd say it is OK. But if you test how fast you can go downhill and brake later and later into that familiar corner to test your limits, maybe it it not a good idea to ride it. Riding in a city in a heavy traffic also can be just as dangerous even at low speeds.

But if not taken to the limit, chances are very good that you will spot something is developing before it actually fails totally. I mean, we all need our lucky star, guardian angels, else nobody would survive to old age.