Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Liège - Bastogne - Liège Official Thread

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Liège - Bastogne - Liège Official Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-10, 09:39 PM
dprayvd
makn'a phonecall to doggy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last edited by dprayvd; 03-17-17 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-25-10, 10:18 PM
FastFreddy
Vino 4-ever

Bikes: road, mtn, and several commuter bikes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like how Vino seems to not be aware of (or not care about) PR. Here's Vino in a post-race interview after being pressed about doping (as quoted in this VeloNews article):

...I don’t want to talk about it anymore. We are here to talk about my victory.
Yes Vino, that's why we're all here.
Mattie Ross: I am the person for it. Mama was never any good at sums and she could hardly spell “CAT”.
--from the movie True Grit (2010)
Old 04-25-10, 11:09 PM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to like Vino's attacking style, but never really cared for him personally. But after this post race quote, I'm starting to dig the guy...

"It is magnificent. It is a revenge. I dreamed of this," he said.
"I have returned stronger than before and I've shown everybody that 'Vino' is back."

Astana is going to be interesting to watch in the TdF. AC trying to dominate on the climbs, Vino launching wild ass attacks stage after stage....
Old 04-25-10, 11:37 PM
rufvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The podium a few days back had Vino, Scarponi, Ricco, Basso....great!
Old 04-26-10, 12:13 AM
dahoss2002

Bikes: 70's Motobecane, 89 Centurion Ironman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just hope he is clean. He did his time so maybe he is sincere. Sure would hate to see Astana get disqualified again. Contador and Levi missed the 08 TDF because of Astana's 07 TDF scandal. Hopefully he wants to be remembered for his riding skills!!
Old 04-26-10, 02:36 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by OrionKhan
I used to like Vino's attacking style, but never really cared for him personally. But after this post race quote, I'm starting to dig the guy...

"It is magnificent. It is a revenge. I dreamed of this," he said.
"I have returned stronger than before and I've shown everybody that 'Vino' is back."

Astana is going to be interesting to watch in the TdF. AC trying to dominate on the climbs, Vino launching wild ass attacks stage after stage....

you just know vino will blow up spectacularly on a big, important climb. it's just as likely that he will go out the day before and/or after on some
80 km solo escapade on a mountain stage and win. he is the ultimate wildcard. as such, i think he is extremely valuable to contador as an
relentless attacker instead of a faithful domestique/lieutenant. let the other teams do the chasing. do any of us really see vino grinding up
climbs ahead of contador setting the pace in the alps & pyrenees instead of doing his crazy like a fox attacks? either way, he has definitely
served notice (more so than basso) that he is again a force to be reckoned with instead of discounted. just like danilo di luca, you either love or
hate him but it's never boring when he's involved.

Last edited by diphthong; 04-26-10 at 02:40 AM.
Old 04-26-10, 05:54 AM
damonfu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
[/I][/U][/B]

you just know vino will blow up spectacularly on a big, important climb. it's just as likely that he will go out the day before and/or after on some
80 km solo escapade on a mountain stage and win. he is the ultimate wildcard. as such, i think he is extremely valuable to contador as an
relentless attacker instead of a faithful domestique/lieutenant. let the other teams do the chasing. do any of us really see vino grinding up
climbs ahead of contador setting the pace in the alps & pyrenees instead of doing his crazy like a fox attacks? either way, he has definitely
served notice (more so than basso) that he is again a force to be reckoned with instead of discounted. just like danilo di luca, you either love or
hate him but it's never boring when he's involved.
Vino is not permitted to participate in the TdF this year, so says the event organizer. So your visions of massive attacks and propelling Contador to victory won't be realized.

"Son, there ain't no draft no more."
"There was one?"
Old 04-26-10, 06:34 AM
nvrlnd7

Bikes: Tommaso Aggraziato,Schwinn Varsity TT Custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont know about wild attacks,all eyes were on contador on the climbs,so he faked a break away,and while they were busy watching him vino took off with little or no notice. Looks like a damn good plan to me.

"With the Tour de France just a few months away the Italian is well aware that he needs to send an experienced and strong Astana team. Lance Armstrong's new RadioShack team gutted Astana's lineup for the 2009 Tour, with only Contador remaining with the Kazakh squad. Martinelli isn't concerned, and believes there are several riders on the team capable of helping Contador to his third Tour de France victory: �[Josep] Jufre , [Alexandre] Vinokourov, and [Paolo] Tiralongo were all absent at Paris-Nice. They will have their say [at the Tour de France].�
Taken from "Martinelli: Astana's Tour de France team will be strong
by Neil Browne at 6:49 PM EST "
Old 04-26-10, 06:49 AM
CrimsonKarter21
Mitcholo

Bikes: 2010 Mitcholo w/ Sram Force/Red

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dprayvd
What would you have rather preferred?
I would haverather seen Ricco win yesterday.

There was a list somewhere that showed the winners of the previous 15 editions of LBL and all but 3 of them were banned, popped or involved in serious doping allegations.
Old 04-26-10, 08:17 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by damonfu
Vino is not permitted to participate in the TdF this year, so says the event organizer. So your visions of massive attacks and propelling Contador to victory won't be realized.

"There was one?"
bummer...but you reap what you sow. wonder if they will let valverde start if his status stands as it currently does when the tdf starts.
Old 04-26-10, 04:42 PM
FastFreddy
Vino 4-ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vino issued a written statement today chastising the press for giving him a hard time at his hour of glory -- read it here.

I imagine going with a written statement was a case of cooler heads on the team prevailing. It would have been so much more fun to have Vino at a press conference with a Q&A.
Mattie Ross: I am the person for it. Mama was never any good at sums and she could hardly spell “CAT”.
Old 04-26-10, 10:53 PM
rouleour

Bikes: '99 ONCE Giant, '08 ORCA Orbea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nvrlnd7
HA HA ! i love it, Astana was supposed to suck this year because "the shack" took all the good riders remember! I'm glad they won again today,thats 3 overalls + 3rd place and a TT stage for bert,and 1 overall and 1 leige for vino. so much for a team that cant get alberto to the podium/wont be able to get results this year.

I wonder about these strange stomach viruses that LA keeps getting,as he drops out of the races.Mabey it's the anti anxiety pills upsetting his stomach, or ulcers from "punching the seats in the buses and screaming about winning"(thats from LA's war)
or maybe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
images..jpg (3.5 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by rouleour; 04-26-10 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-26-10, 11:42 PM
nvrlnd7

Bikes: Tommaso Aggraziato,Schwinn Varsity TT Custom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah drinking while racing,who knew ! anyway all sighns point to vino being in the TDF,just check the astana website,he's on the tour squad.
Old 04-27-10, 01:46 PM
Mhendricks

Bikes: 2006 Orbea Volata, 84 Trek 760, 83 Trek 720,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FastFreddy
Vino issued a written statement today chastising the press for giving him a hard time at his hour of glory -- read it here.

I imagine going with a written statement was a case of cooler heads on the team prevailing. It would have been so much more fun to have Vino at a press conference with a Q&A.
Whether the statement was written by Vino or by a representative of the team, I'm glad he won. We accepted David Millar back after his suspension who I feel is a "Class Act" individual. I hope this win shuts the mouths of all those people who think a guy can't come back "Clean" and still win major events.
Old 04-27-10, 07:11 PM
Rudel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"There was one?"
"Vinokourov Welcome At Le Tour
In a relatively surprising development after Vino's win at Liege yesterday, Tour de France head honcho, Christian Prudhomme said that Vinokourov will be allowed to return to the Tour de France in 2010.

"[In cycling] It is just like it is in real life: Vinokourov has made a mistake, was punished, served his ban and has returned."

The vital element followed: "The name of Vinokourov causes no problems."

All looks set for a Vinokourov return to the Tour de France. Vino has said that he will devote all of his efforts to helping Contador attain a third Tour de France victory. Before that though, he'll be racing the Giro d'Italia and will take the start with ambitions of overall glory."

From https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fu...=Latest%20News
Old 04-27-10, 11:52 PM
FastFreddy
Vino 4-ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rudel
"Vinokourov Welcome At Le Tour
In a relatively surprising development after Vino's win at Liege yesterday, Tour de France head honcho, Christian Prudhomme said that Vinokourov will be allowed to return to the Tour de France in 2010.

"[In cycling] It is just like it is in real life: Vinokourov has made a mistake, was punished, served his ban and has returned."

The vital element followed: "The name of Vinokourov causes no problems."

All looks set for a Vinokourov return to the Tour de France. Vino has said that he will devote all of his efforts to helping Contador attain a third Tour de France victory. Before that though, he'll be racing the Giro d'Italia and will take the start with ambitions of overall glory."

From https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fu...=Latest%20News
That's great news. Vino's unpredictable behavior makes him so much fun to watch. The tour will be more exciting with him.

Has anyone noticed how his comments about the tour have shifted in the last couple of months? Before it was something like : I'll help Contador win. Now it's: I'll win with Contador.
Old 04-28-10, 03:37 AM
gear

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FastFreddy

Has anyone noticed how his comments about the tour have shifted in the last couple of months? Before it was something like : I'll help Contador win. Now it's: I'll win with Contador.
I believe the scenario goes like this: Vino states he will support Contador in the TDF and concentrate on winning the Giro, he breaks his collar bone and does not do as good as planned in the Giro. Then he and the team manager decide to win all the podium spots rather than concentrating on supporting Contador in the TDF. Contador is painted as not being a team player but wins the TDF despite his own team.
Old 04-28-10, 07:06 AM
Romans8:28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gear
I believe the scenario goes like this: Vino states he will support Contador in the TDF and concentrate on winning the Giro, he breaks his collar bone and does not do as good as planned in the Giro. Then he and the team manager decide to win all the podium spots rather than concentrating on supporting Contador in the TDF. Contador is painted as not being a team player but wins the TDF despite his own team.
Interesting perspective, but you have missed a few key elements…

Don’t forget that Vino has already been critical of Contador this season. It did not get much press, but after Alberto’s disappointing allergy induced performance on the Criterium International finishing climb Vino was quoted as saying “Alberto is a raw talent and a potentially great rider, but has much to learn. I mean come on… who forgets to take his antihistamines during such a critical period?”. I contend that remark is the beginning signs of a fissure in team Astana!

Much of what happens next will depend on Vino’s performance, particularly just prior to the TDF and more importantly in the opening time trail. If Vino can post a respectable finish, within striking distance of Contador time don’t be surprised if all of a sudden the Astana team manager announces that “we will have to wait until the mountain stages to settle things within the team”. Of course this will come as quite a shock for Alberto who had been assured for over a year that it was “his team”.

Next comes the “cobbles” in stage 3, where Vino will cut an underhanded deal to be on the “right wheel” when the critical attack is launched. Vino will put time into Contador as Alberto struggles along on the cobbles, in fact Vino will be driving the lead group as it devours the cobbled roadway. From that point forward it will be a race within a race to see which Astana rider can don the Maillot Jaune first, knowing full well that the with Vino in yellow the Astana team leader can now order Contador not to attack the yellow jersey despite the road ahead turning up.

Of course Contador will have no part of this and take matters into his own hands. He will take advantage of the first mountain top finish to get back the time that Vino gained over the cobbles and remind the rest of Team Astana as to his rightful position. No doubt Vino’s Kazakh brothers on Team Astana will openly criticize Alberto’s “reckless moves” and paint him as not being a loyal teammate. The press will eat it up, and the Vs commentating bunch will be beside themselves over what they deem Alberto’s never-ending series of tactical mistakes.

In the end, just like last year… the strongest rider will prevail “despite his own team” as you have stated. Unfortunately for Contador he will be relegated to babysitting Vino up the Col du Tourmalet in Stage 17 instead of being able to enjoy another decisive stage victory.

Post race Vino will prove to be a sore loser and purposefully skip Alberto's victory party.
Old 04-28-10, 07:40 AM
$ick3nin.vend3t
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gear
Then he and the team manager decide to win all the podium spots rather than concentrating on supporting Contador in the TDF. Contador is painted as not being a team player but wins the TDF despite his own team.
Proving success doesn't stem around having a great team, its the individual.
Old 04-28-10, 11:34 AM
Cat4Lifer
Velo Club La Grange

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nvrlnd7
HA HA ! i love it, Astana was supposed to suck this year because "the shack" took all the good riders remember! I'm glad they won again today,thats 3 overalls + 3rd place and a TT stage for bert,and 1 overall and 1 leige for vino. so much for a team that cant get alberto to the podium/wont be able to get results this year.
Old 04-28-10, 12:51 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by Romans8:28

Don’t forget that Vino has already been critical of Contador this season. It did not get much press, but after Alberto’s disappointing allergy induced performance on the Criterium International finishing climb Vino was quoted as saying “Alberto is a raw talent and a potentially great rider, but has much to learn. I mean come on… who forgets to take his antihistamines during such a critical period?”. I contend that remark is the beginning signs of a fissure in team Astana!

Much of what happens next will depend on Vino’s performance, particularly just prior to the TDF and more importantly in the opening time trail. If Vino can post a respectable finish, within striking distance of Contador time don’t be surprised if all of a sudden the Astana team manager announces that “we will have to wait until the mountain stages to settle things within the team”. Of course this will come as quite a shock for Alberto who had been assured for over a year that it was “his team”.

Next comes the “cobbles” in stage 3, where Vino will cut an underhanded deal to be on the “right wheel” when the critical attack is launched. Vino will put time into Contador as Alberto struggles along on the cobbles, in fact Vino will be driving the lead group as it devours the cobbled roadway. From that point forward it will be a race within a race to see which Astana rider can don the Maillot Jaune first, knowing full well that the with Vino in yellow the Astana team leader can now order Contador not to attack the yellow jersey despite the road ahead turning up.

Of course Contador will have no part of this and take matters into his own hands. He will take advantage of the first mountain top finish to get back the time that Vino gained over the cobbles and remind the rest of Team Astana as to his rightful position. No doubt Vino’s Kazakh brothers on Team Astana will openly criticize Alberto’s “reckless moves” and paint him as not being a loyal teammate. The press will eat it up, and the Vs commentating bunch will be beside themselves over what they deem Alberto’s never-ending series of tactical mistakes.

In the end, just like last year… the strongest rider will prevail “despite his own team” as you have stated. Unfortunately for Contador he will be relegated to babysitting Vino up the Col du Tourmalet in Stage 17 instead of being able to enjoy another decisive stage victory.

Post race Vino will prove to be a sore loser and purposefully skip Alberto's victory party.

I don't say this often, but...

Touche !
Old 04-28-10, 12:51 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts

I don't say this often, but...

Touche !
Old 04-28-10, 02:38 PM
gear

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Entertainment Tonight is reporting that Vino is dating one of the Olsen twins.
Old 04-28-10, 03:42 PM
FastFreddy
Vino 4-ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[emphasis added]

Thanks for posting the Vino quote, Romans. I've suspected that there has been tension between Vino and Contador. I love it when Vino goes off like that.

I'm sure that Contador is going to do whatever he can to avoid losing time on the cobbles -- to Vino or to any other contender.

And don't forget that the prime directive of Astana is to Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan -- so Vino on the podium is more desirable from the team's perspective.

Last edited by FastFreddy; 04-28-10 at 03:43 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 04-28-10, 04:26 PM
ZXiMan
Raptor Custom Bicycles

Bikes: Raptor Bicycles... Fully custom carbon bikes... just the way you want them!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aloysius
Five years ago they never would have let Vinokourov off the front like that. When they start letting you go...
You're kidding right? Vino is known for attacking, gets away and often stays away... (doping or not)

2010 Raptor Series 7

Raptor Bicycles of Texas
Fully custom carbon bikes
940-442-3344

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.