Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Columbia "Twosome" 5 Speed: questions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-09, 03:35 PM
Hubbard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I acquired this today from Dallas CL for $50! I was so excited...I've been looking for a two seater for a long time, but the price is never right. Until today.

Does anyone know anything about this two-seater? I would appreciate any information.

Hello, Greenville Ave. St. Patrick's Day Parade (it's green, if you can't tell)!

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg
Old 08-08-09, 04:55 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Don't know much about Columbia but that's the later version of the Skylark, which came out about 1977 and lasted through about 1980. The tandem itself looks very basic and entry level. The stays are crimped to hold the dropouts in place and it has one piece Ashtabula cranksets.
Old 08-08-09, 08:23 PM
jacksbike

Bikes: Trek 7.5 Hybrid, Trek 1.1 Road, Holdsworth touring,Raleigh International,Ritchey Commando,Italvega Speciallissimo,et.al.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
I used to sell those. Columbia made these in their factory in Westfield, Massachusetts, outisde of Springfield , Mass. I believe that this tandem is from the 1969 to 1975 era. As T-Mar has noted above, the frame dropouts are crimped , which was the manner in which Columbia manufactured frames. I do remember having some chainline alignment problems with these tandems, straight out of the box. This was due to the frame construction-alignment of the 2 bottom bracket shells, etc. Bikes were always rideable, but just had a bit of a funky shifting problem.
Old 08-08-09, 08:56 PM
Hubbard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate the response. I want to clean this tandem up and ride it, and I thank anyone that has any information.

If it wasn't so darned hot right now in Dallas, I would be farther along on this project.....
Old 08-09-09, 08:34 PM
Hubbard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So it's either 1980 or later or 1969 to 1975.......I agree that it's entry level, but it's in pretty decent shape, so I'm gonna clean her up. I just noticed the rear drum brake today.

There sure isn't a lot of information out there about this bike. If I had to guess, I would agree with the early 1980's date for this bike, just from the design of the logo and components.

Anyone else?
Old 08-10-09, 12:45 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 327 Posts
Columbia was the house brand of the Westfield Manufacturing Company, based in Westfield, Mass.. They were an old bicycle company, being among the first companies in the US to manufacture "safety bicycles" in number. They also attempted a number of different designs and approaches, including chainless shaft bicycles. When Schwinn began pioneering balloon tire machines in the 1930s in the mass market, Columbia soon followed. Columbia's balloon tire bicycles were competitive with Schwinn in terms of quality, though not national popularity. Columbia still represented good quality right up through the 1960s, as their fortunes went downhill. They continued to modernize alongside other US makers, but by the late 1960s their quality had slipped some.

This bike looks like a later Columbia bicycle-- probably 1960s-1970s era it looks. They're usually heavy, solid, and give workable service. By this time, in my view, they weren't what could be called "top quality" any more, though they did make a solid product that could make for a good riding bike.

I think you did well at that price, but it will probably take some work. Columbia serial numbers often appeared by the rear dropouts, though, I'm not sure if they moved them later on. My 49-50 balloon tire at least has a number by the rear dropout. Check oldroads.com for a serial chart.

That bike will be a lot of fun with a little clean up and adjustment.

Last edited by SirMike1983; 08-10-09 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-10-09, 02:15 PM
Hubbard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, SirMike! Heavy is a good description for this bike. It will be a fun project.
Old 08-10-09, 03:43 PM
custermustache

Bikes: 1968 Falcon San Remo 1973 Raleigh International, 1974 Schwinn Suburban, 1987 Schwinn High Sierra, 1992 Univega Ultraleggera, 2007 Dahon Vitesse DH7G

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I missed this by 5 minutes. Good grab.
Old 08-10-09, 05:08 PM
riva
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
I have one of those. Its a low-end tank but fun and a good grab at $50 imo. Here, two seaters go for at least a benjamin, even rusty low-enders. I would just spend the least possible to get it road worthy, but you could upgrade if you want. I replaced the bent front chrome 590mm wheel with ally MTB wheels on ours. Tektro canti's that came with it reach fine. May relace the drum to a 559mm rear alloy rim next. Also thinking about some of those ashtabula to english BB adapters because the rings are tweaked, (probably not worth doing if your rings are fine) then fitting dual FFS cranks just to see if it works..

A cheapie is the way to start on a tandem IMO, you don't want to spend loads of cash on a fancy tandem only to find that you never ride it.. and beginner tandem pilots probably shouldn't be going 30mph anyway.

Last edited by riva; 08-10-09 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-05-10, 11:04 AM
jasnjules

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha, I just bought this one's twin. Paid more than that but got sick of looking and want to get one going before the summer is over. The double sprocket has about 3/8 wobble which causes the chain to misalign. Anyone know where parts (sprockets) can be found for these? Also, did these come with chain guards?
Old 07-21-10, 01:00 PM
Obscene

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha I also picked up one of these earlier in the summer and have been perplexed ever since regarding the chain alignment.
Old 06-01-16, 04:56 PM
bobpaul

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hubbard
I acquired this today from Dallas CL for $50! I was so excited...I've been looking for a two seater for a long time, but the price is never right. Until today.

Does anyone know anything about this two-seater? I would appreciate any information.
I have this exact same bike; it's a 1981-1984 somewhere. The first 5-speed twosome was 1978, so it's definitely not before then.

If you look through the pictures over here, you'll note that prior 1979 the frame looked quite different. And 1979-1980 have a different design for the chain guards. 1985 is badged "Classic by Columbia", which mine is not. If yours is, then you have a 1985, otherwise you have a 1981-1984 like me.

The only numbers I can find on my bike are on the head tube. One side reads "808 70" and the otherside (presumably the serial number) is "5 052 0630". None of these numbers match with the Vintage Columbia bikes website. I'd really like to track mine down to the specific model year, but I don't think I ever will.
Old 06-01-16, 08:56 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I've got a Huffy Daisy. It's the cheapest, ugliest, heaviest tandem ever and till the Schwinn Twinn followed me home, it was also the bike that got the most use in our house. Great fun!
Old 06-02-16, 06:24 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
One of the first rehab's I did when I got back into bikes was a early 70's Twosome coaster brake model, it was all original right down to the Kelly Safari tires and had sat in a barn for almost 40yrs.

Glenn,

After,