Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Natchez Trace Parkway in May

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-22, 04:10 PM
Indytriumph

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1987 Schwinn Prologue, 2016 Felt Z5, 2022 Vaast A/1, 2023 STS ADVNTR PRO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 18 Posts

I have less than a week off from work coming up in May. I am thinking the Natchez Trace Parkway would be a nice and easy short tour. I plan on camping the whole way and hotel only if I have to. I just cant decide which direction to ride it, South to North or North to South. It doesn't look like it would make difference either way. I was wondering if any of you have done this route, which way did you go? I am leaning towards South to North for logistic reasons. Any advice? Also, is anyone else going by chance?

Tom
Old 03-30-22, 04:30 PM
kstephens

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
Been reading alot about this lately. I am just a couple hours from nashville. I am thinking I may do a northbound ride to increase the odds of a nice tailwind this time of year (but that is a gamble). That and i've ridden part of the north section before - it is pretty hilly. Seems like I remember reading there is a chunk in the middle that may be detoured away from trace and may need vehicle support - not 100% sure that is still going on. But being so close to nashville - it would be easier for my wife to come pick me up at the end, rather than to time out a finish 10 hours away.
Old 03-30-22, 05:30 PM
Tusk

Bikes: 1986 Scwinn Prelude 20?? Motobecane Ti 'Le Champion"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Road from North to South in Oct last year as part of a two man relay - https://www.raceacrossoregon.com/nt444.html. IIRC there was construction southbound at Tupelo, MS. We had to SAG around. National Park Service is pretty good with information, Check out here - https://www.nps.gov/natr/planyourvisit/conditions.htm.

The north end of the Trace is pretty hilly, the middle not so much, and then the last 50 or so miles gets a little tiresome. But that was at the end of 440 miles straight. The grades never get extreme though, so I would not hesitate to ride either direction. The Trace gets a lot of traffic in Jackson, MS but there is a parallel MUP to consider.

Great ride, nice road.
Old 03-30-22, 06:08 PM
Indytriumph

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1987 Schwinn Prologue, 2016 Felt Z5, 2022 Vaast A/1, 2023 STS ADVNTR PRO

I am from Indiana and having my wife pick me up at the North end makes more sense. If I rent a car and drive to the southern end. There is construction going on and the detour is bicycle friendly. No vehicle support needed. More info can be found here on natcheztracetravel.com/alerts.html

Tom
Likes For Indytriumph:
Old 03-31-22, 05:57 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Long ago in 1977 a group of us from school rode it north to south. Very memorable. At that time us kids had long hair, cut off jeans and no shirts. Made for some excitement with the locals! Gotta say the Southern Belles had a charm I had never experienced before. They stole my heart. Great ride, not hilly from what I recall. There was a campground that was at the top of a mile long hill climb, but that was the worst of it.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 03-31-22, 08:47 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I'd suggest riding south to north, you'll have a few days to enjoy the flatter section before you hit the Tennessee hills.

Wind is a gamble. This time of year, you'll usually have strong winds out of the south for a day or two before a front comes through. When the front hits, if it's strong, try to spend the night in a solid structure, so you don't have to worry about trees blowing down on top of your tent. The following day and a half, you have strong winds out of the north. Be prepared and flexible enough to stretch or extend a day's mileage if needed. Say you're planning on 65 miles a day. If you're riding north and get one of those wonderful tailwinds, shoot for a century that day, and find a motel or B&B to hunker down overnight. The next day you'll probably be facing a nasty headwind, and you'll be lucky to finish 40 miles.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 03-31-22, 10:07 AM
Indytriumph

Thank you pdlamb, that sounds like a solid plan!