Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

I Fired Zwift FTP Tests

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

I Fired Zwift FTP Tests

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-19, 08:57 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
why not use your powermeter with powermatch on zwift? The more likely issue is that the smart trainer and power meter readings do not match, which is not a zwift issue, its a trainer issue. I use my PM on zwift so my numbers stay consistent indoors/outdoors. My smart trainer reads about 10% low, yours seems to read high. The zwift FTP test simply uses a incline/slope mode during the 20 min testing portion of the test so its not that different in practice compared to the road.
So I have been playing with this the last couple of days, I calibrated the trainer and then put my bike with the power meter on the trainer. I have an older road bike dedicated to the trainer otherwise. I used my iPad to see the Kurt kinetic numbers compared to my power tap power meter off my head unit. They were actually really close. I was a bit surprised I don't know why. It was within I would say 5-10 watts. It did vary sometimes a bit more but I have a 3 second reading on my head unit and the Kurt app is real time so there was some lag but just at constant pace/cadence they were very close.

Then I compared the power meter on the bike to zwift power. I again had a higher power on Zwift than I did on the power meter. It wasn't as drastic at 50 watts like I had before but it was still 25-30 watts higher on zwift than on my bikes power meter. I really wish I could compare my trainer software to zwift numbers but it will not connect to more than one device so that is not an option.

Finally I did the short FTP test. (20 minutes). But I didn't go all out, I went for more of a consistent power as to compare. I did a cadence of 80 in the same gearing for the test. My bike power meter was 204 for that 20 minute session, zwift was 227. Zwift was again higher for at around 10%. I just don't think that zwift is super accurate. BUT if the main point of this is if you use zwift and always compare the zwift numbers its fine because you then it measurable, you just can't use zwift and a power meter and a strava algorithm to compare everything with and get solid numbers.
I still can't explain the higher reading from last year. I think maybe there was a trainer issue because there is just no way I am that high.

FWIW when I have done "races" on zwift my power is never any higher than any other time. I might push harder but I don't think I am making anymore power.
Old 03-29-19, 07:28 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
This is interesting, thanks for the info!

I'm not riding with power outside, so I'm not comparing real vs Zwift. (I plan to add power to the N+1 this summer).

IMHO - as long as Zwift's FTP and power is consistent, it's good. I would never take Zwift FTP into the real-world or visa versa... too many variable between an indoor/outdoors set up.

This is also why I've been using % changes and not the watts, I don't trust Zwift and my trainer (Kurt Kinetic) to be 100% accurate, but I do expect them to be consistent.
Old 03-29-19, 10:22 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
This is interesting, thanks for the info!

I'm not riding with power outside, so I'm not comparing real vs Zwift. (I plan to add power to the N+1 this summer).

IMHO - as long as Zwift's FTP and power is consistent, it's good. I would never take Zwift FTP into the real-world or visa versa... too many variable between an indoor/outdoors set up.

This is also why I've been using % changes and not the watts, I don't trust Zwift and my trainer (Kurt Kinetic) to be 100% accurate, but I do expect them to be consistent.
This is perfectly fine and after lots of training with power indoors/outdoors you calibrate your RPE pretty well so you can translate zwift watts to outdoor efforts with out powermeter. The main thing with using a powermeter for zwift is less spindowns and warmups of the fluid in the KK