Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does Clothing Matter?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does Clothing Matter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-21, 02:58 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Here's a weird idea ..... if you want to ride your bike, ride your bike.

I am not a participant in a fashion, show, nor any kind of public opinion poll, nor in any way interested in the judgments of random people, or even with the judgments of self-selected "cycling aficionados" at a site like this.

If you are mostly concerned with how you look to people who honestly aren't even looking at you, I cannot help you. If you make your life decisions based on input from random strangers and bots on the internet, no one can help you.

If you like riding your bike ..... maybe try doing that?
Here's what I think is a reasonable question--"What clothing works for you while riding and why?" You will get a bunch of completely different answers, but at least we can assume the people answering it know that better than anyone else.

Here's an unreasonable question--"what kind of clothing will work best for me and why?" Again different answers, but now no reason to assume anyone knows what they're talking about.
Old 09-13-21, 03:08 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Here's what I think is a reasonable question--"What clothing works for you while riding and why?" You will get a bunch of completely different answers, but at least we can assume the people answering it know that better than anyone else.

Here's an unreasonable question--"what kind of clothing will work best for me and why?" Again different answers, but now no reason to assume anyone knows what they're talking about.
DEscriptive, rather than PREscriptive.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-13-21, 06:29 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
I used to feel weird wearing cycling clothes, but I finally look like a cyclist, so I don't mind now. It is much more comfortable than street clothes. The padded shorts are absolutely necessary and I like having pockets in the jersey.

What are you doing on Tricia’s bike? It has been reported to the authorities.

Old 09-13-21, 08:59 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Jerseys with front pockets are SO necessary for your mask and vax card to be handy.
I use a bandana instead of a mask, and it's always around my neck. The vax card is tucked under my stars n stripes headband. I still keep my cigs rolled up in my shirt sleeve unless I'm wearing a tank top, then they're in my tube socks. It can feel weird to have a pack of cigarettes just in one sock, so I split them up. I tow a trailer for the cat and anything else the two of us will need that day. So, no need for jersey pockets.

Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-14-21, 04:40 AM
cpcnw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The leg 'grippers' and elastane material of most shorts I have tried in the last few years [about 3 different manufacturers / price ranges] all make the worst of my varicosed veins bulge up and ache / throb.

I decided to swap to wearing padded cycling underwear with running shorts over the top and sometimes some 'baggies' MTB style shorts over the top.

Not only but also: I stopped wearing 'Jerseys' in favour of looser 'MTB style' shirts some time ago. A couple will flap slightly in the warm summer breeze but I kinda like that and they still have all the pockets etc

Now the serious roadies ignore me even more but the locals appear more friendly towards me!
Old 09-14-21, 06:37 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
What's a fake bike rider ??
Obviously, that's someone riding a fake bike!

For the "humor-impaired": yes, I'm being facetious. (smile)
Old 09-14-21, 06:53 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
What are you doing on Tricia’s bike? It has been reported to the authorities.
That's my actual name. I know. You thought I was Mia Hamm, right?
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 09-14-21, 09:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
That's my actual name. I know. You thought I was Mia Hamm, right?

Is it true her sisters are named Ima and Ura?