Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Upright position - Giant Revolt vs Cannondal Topstone vs...

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-20, 09:53 AM
jedijon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking at carbon fiber drop handlebar bikes for 5'9" to 5'10" rider height to replace a hybrid and a test drive with a ML sized Giant Revolt proved quite comfortable. Looking at published geo #s, that's a 23" stack and 15" reach. Most bikes of other brands seem to fall right in that range +/- a few 0.1" of an inch. Salsa, Trek, Fuji, etc.

The Cannondale Topstone sized L appears essentially the same overall size with appreciably higher stack. Stack of 24" and reach of 15.5".

Are these the right size(s) for the height of the rider? Is the Topstone actually taller or does it just have fewer spacers under the bars? Shop doesn't have that size Cannondale to try out, looking for some additional knowledge and experience.
Old 11-30-20, 10:11 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Stack height doesnt take into account spacers. Stack height is a number that doesnt change- its helpful because its constant. Its the difference between the ground to the middle of the top of the headset and the ground to the middle of the bottom bracket.
How that translates to your situation is that yes, the Topstone is effectively 'taller' at the front end.

Also, just like stack height is fixed, so is reach. That means the length of stem and handlebars are not taken into account. This is to allow for comparisons between frames.
Old 11-30-20, 10:17 AM
Cpn_Dunsel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
Topstone does run a bit 'larger' in standover measurements than other frames that are given the same size names. Their seat tubes tend to be longer.

With regard to sizing, height is not always the best metric for fitting. Leg measurements such as floor to knee, floor to ankle, and inseam can provide a more accurate way to determine frame size than just height. It is rare that two people of the same height share same leg measurements.

Two best sites for frame comparisons:
~ https://99spokes.com/
~ https://bikeinsights.com/
Old 11-30-20, 10:18 AM
jedijon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Truth!

The specific part of my original post that brings up "spacers" is simply about the possibility that since Stack and Reach are always FRAME specific, but I don't ride a bike by grabbing the frame (call me old fashioned but I put my hands on the bars), the Giant might have bars at the exact same position as the Cannondale. All it would take is a more lengthy steerer tube on the Giant [0.9" worth...]. From the MFR image it looked like there was greater # of spacers on the Giant indicating that might be the case. Also, Giant publishes the length of their stem [3.9"] while Cannondale does not--something which would affect the reach at the handlebar, from the frame that's currently only ~0.3" greater on the Cannondale.

There's also the Liv version - the Devote. It appears to be about 1" shorter and 1" taller. This is a size L vs. the Giant size ML--which appear to be the same thing for all intents and purposes. Will see if they have any intentions of carrying that around the shop. Alternatively, I could bring in a shorter / steeper stem when I go to facilitate the test drive. Now, again, Giant doesn't publish handlebar data...but I'll have the actual bike there and can double check those measurements then.

Any other higher riding position carbon frames out there? Want the missus to be happy on this as A) she doesn't want another hybrid for sure and B) she doesn't want a lower position like my bikes. The Giant Revolt has been - so far - the best compromise we've come across.

Last edited by jedijon; 11-30-20 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-03-20, 09:34 AM
RocThrower

Bikes: Space Horse Disc, Domane SL5 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
I have no idea what the availability is, but I remember seeing that the Merida Silex has pretty long head tubes/stack figures.
Merida Silex

Old 12-07-20, 04:26 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
high stack indeed, it is also high in reach
Old 12-15-20, 09:05 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Salsa Warbird has a pretty high stack, may be worth a look.
Old 12-16-20, 06:33 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
I'm 6' and ride a medium topstone carbon. I have the max amount of spacers under the stem, and swapped the 100mm stem for a 110mm. I believe it's important to have as much seat post exposed as possible for better compliance on rough surfaces, it's why I went with the medium vs large.

You mentioned carbon bikes and the topstone so I assumed you meant the carbon version of the topstone. I found a medium carbon topstone size to be in the "middle" of the aluminum topstone's medium and large sizes.

Any way if you're interested in an upright position I would not consider the topstone carbon, its geometry is towards the aggressive end of things, and it's bottom bracket drop is shallow compared to others. Something like the Salsa warbird might be better?