Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bent steel pedal arm

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bent steel pedal arm

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-12, 12:59 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Bent steel pedal arm

My "James" cycle has a bent pedal arm and am asking what the best (safest) way of bending it back into place would be. Its slightly bent but enough to just make contact with the chaingaurd while pedaling. I checked the chaingaurd and its fine. I've seen the LBS use a long steel pipe to bend them back in place, is this "the norm?" or do you guys have a better way? Please let me know.
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 01-01-12, 01:12 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
I'm not sure what a pedal arm is. Are you talking about the crank arm?

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 01-01-12, 01:19 PM
oldroads
OldBikeGuide.com

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Yes, slipping a long pipe over it is a good first attempt.
Old 01-01-12, 01:24 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Originally Posted by Scooper
I'm not sure what a pedal arm is. Are you talking about the crank arm?
Yup, the crank arm.
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 01-01-12, 01:24 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ilikebikes
My "James" cycle has a bent pedal arm and am asking what the best (safest) way of bending it back into place would be. Its slightly bent but enough to just make contact with the chaingaurd while pedaling. I checked the chaingaurd and its fine. I've seen the LBS use a long steel pipe to bend them back in place, is this "the norm?" or do you guys have a better way? Please let me know.
I think that's fine to do, so long as it's steel. Alloy is another story, of course.

PS. I still want that bike... Not jealous, just envious.
Old 01-01-12, 02:13 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Originally Posted by photogravity
I think that's fine to do, so long as it's steel. Alloy is another story, of course.

PS. I still want that bike... Not jealous, just envious.
Old 01-01-12, 02:24 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,755 Times in 941 Posts
If you do intend to straighten the arm, might I suggest that you remove the crank from the bicycle, first. You would not want the excessive pressure finding a way into the frame set.

For what it is worth, I am working on a Peugeot with a seriously bent steel crank arm. I intend to try to replace it but, being a Peugeot five speed, I might have a tough time finding the perfect crank. If that is the case, I will straighten the arm out using the cold set method. If it looks good when done, I will be set...

You will notice that the crank arm was bent far enough in to actually damage the lovely original alloy Peugeot fender. How did it get bent so badly? Incredibly poor shipping technique...

So far, I have collected everything I need to restore the bike, except the correct crank arm. And that might not even be a problem. There just might be one hiding in The Old Shed.
Old 01-01-12, 04:26 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

@ Randyjawa, Sweet find! Hope things go well with that crank arm! OK, I remove the crank arm to cold set it, how/what do I anchor the arm to to keep it still and secure enough to bend it with the pipe?
Old 01-01-12, 04:46 PM
Anthropy
Knotty Guy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remove the crank arm and take it to someone with a hydraulic press. You can then have them bend it back right where it needs it. They can control the amount of force needed with the press. Of course, the arm needs to be steel.

Tom
Old 01-01-12, 04:57 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3598 Post(s)
Liked 3,423 Times in 1,947 Posts
OK, I remove the crank arm to cold set it, how/what do I anchor the arm to to keep it still and secure enough to bend it with the pipe?
Clamp it in a bench-mounted vise.
Old 01-01-12, 05:05 PM
Spookeay Bird
spookeaymarine.info

Location: Me, I'm in Central Alabama C.S.A. But my husband is under the bed. He's sure there is a black helicopter orbiting our house.

Bikes: Schwin,Ross,Cannondale.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The press is the best way. The pipe can work. But before you do. Wrap the heck out of it with electrical tape first to keep the pipe from marring the chrome. If you have a bench vise, that would work also. put it in the jaws with the arc of the bend compressed in the jaws and tighten it down till it mates flat with the jaws and leave it over night. just my 2 cents.
Old 01-01-12, 05:16 PM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I would heat it and bend in a hydraulic press.
Old 01-01-12, 05:21 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,057 Times in 1,256 Posts
I've had success propping the arm a half inch off the concrete floor and using a maul and a hardwood block. Those arms can be very soft and you can control the bend easily. Or a bench vise and a couple of shims...
Old 01-01-12, 05:28 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Originally Posted by Anthropy
Remove the crank arm and take it to someone with a hydraulic press. You can then have them bend it back right where it needs it. They can control the amount of force needed with the press. Of course, the arm needs to be steel.

Tom
Hydrolic press, yeah, I don't know anyone with a hydrolic press.
Old 01-01-12, 05:29 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 188 Times in 125 Posts
Vise and pipe works. I did one not too long ago. First measure how far it needs to be bent and do it a littie at a time. You don't want to go past the amount you need because metal fatigues quickly in its "plastic" zone.
Old 01-01-12, 05:40 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Originally Posted by clubman
I've had success propping the arm a half inch off the concrete floor and using a maul and a hardwood block. Those arms can be very soft and you can control the bend easily. Or a bench vise and a couple of shims...

Hmmmm, this sounds like a plan! I'm pretty good at whackin' stuff with a hammer! LOL! Think a hard rubber mallet might do the job? I've got one of those.
Old 01-01-12, 05:43 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

OK, I remove the crank arm to cold set it, how/what do I anchor the arm to to keep it still and secure enough to bend it with the pipe?
Use the vise and blocks, as clubman suggests. That is exactly what I intend to do and I know I will get the arm straight.
Old 01-01-12, 05:45 PM
randyjawa 

Do not use heat. Do not use impact. Use a vise, three hardwood or alloy blocks, and press the arm straight. That is what I intend to do and I have done it before, but only with steel. Do not use a bent alloy arm!
Old 07-12-14, 04:37 PM
autowood
Research and Development

Bikes: Gary Fischer Level Betty, Marin B-17, Giant Attraction, Scwhinn Beach cruiser, Trek 700, Currie 450w,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
I agree with this method. Used it more than once. Wood block and a BFH. If aluminum, you only have very few shots to get it right. Bang on it too much and it will work harden and break, or at least develop cracks which will eventually lead to catastrophic failure at the worst possible moment. Steel, you can beat on all day long.
Old 07-12-14, 08:55 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3598 Post(s)
Liked 3,423 Times in 1,947 Posts
Clamp it in a bench-mounted vise, preferably with the bench bolted securely to the floor. Slip a long steel pipe over the arm and apply Great Force to move it where it needs to be.
Old 07-12-14, 09:01 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

This thread is two years old, that bike id loooong gone.