Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

front disc ringing noise

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

front disc ringing noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-21, 12:56 PM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
front disc ringing noise

I just bought a 2021 Giant Talon 2 which has Tektro TKD143, hydraulic disc brakes. According to the previous owner it was barely ridden and I've only taken it out a couple times now. I didn't notice much noise while on the trail, but on the road in front of my house the disc makes a ringing noise when turning. Noise is kinda like a bike bell where it will just ting a few times. I checked the torque on the disc. Caliper seems aligned correctly and makes no noise spinning in the stand. Sometimes the disc will ring when I bounce the front tire. If I'm fast enough I can touch the disc and the noise will stop. QR is tighter than I would normally do it, but I'm not straining to close it either. Watching the alignment while it spins the rotor does not appear to be warped at all. Just because, I oiled between the spokes where they cross, but I'm real sure it's the disc making noise. Is this just cause the pads need to wear down a little, or is there an issue? No issue other than odd noise. This is my first bike with hydraulic disc brakes. hydraulic
Old 08-15-21, 02:52 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Could be the fork blades compressing unevenly when turning, causing the rotor to rub on the brake pad momentarily. This isn't uncommon, especially with QR wheels. Try riding the bike and leaning it to one side and then other while maintaining a straight line to see if you can replicate the noise. IMO, the occasional 'ting' when turning or leaning just sort of comes with the territory when using a suspension fork, QRs, and discs.
Likes For Rolla: