Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Why singlespeed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-04, 06:27 PM
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com

Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Efficiency and progress is ours once more...
Old 12-07-04, 06:51 PM
manboy
The King of Town

Bikes: Haro Backtrail 20" (MISSING), Fuji Berkeley fixie, Huffy cruisercommuterdeathmobile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

what the crap

maybe i should edit my previous post to say this:

well, i like to ride a one speed bikes because sometimes it breaks, but not always. and i haven't gotten the figures, but i'm pretty sure it will break less than a geared bike. it stands to reason because there are less parts. it's possible, though, that they could break as much or even more. however, one speed gives you a certain peace of mind. i think they require less maintenance, but again, i haven't done any controlled studies, and i should get some peers to evaluate my findings even if i do because there is probably some emotional bias going on. i'm just pretty sure my one speed bikes have tended to work better than my multiple speed bikes while requiring less maintenance, and i think that the fact that i have heard this anecdotally from fairly knowledgeable people quite of the time is enough to believe me that it is, in fact, true.

I have another one:

singlespeed bikes are cheap and i'm poor.
Old 12-07-04, 06:52 PM
ajkloss42
The 'net ruined cycling

Bikes: Steelman Eurocross, Peugeot U08 fixie, Specialized Expidition, Raleigh Sprite 27, Serotta CDA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harryhood
hey isotopesope,
i actually was referring to ajkloss42 on that one. sorry should have made it more clear. from your posts, i gather that you are a lover of all bikes.
Thanks. Did you read what I had to say from the beginning? I have no problem with fixed. I like fixed. Lately, I ride about 25% of my overall mileage fixed. My first century ever was on fixed. Fixed is fun. This is not about not liking one kind of bike or another to me. This is about people saying things about fixed that don't make sense. When someone says they don't get why people like fixed and/or single speed and they get back a bunch of nonsensical answers, I think that's unhelpful to the original poster and reflects badly on cyclists in general and singlespeeders in general. There are lots of good reasons listed in this thread and others about why singlespeed and fixed is good, but there are a lot of silly ones too. I don't think I've said anywhere I think fixed or singlespeed is inferior to multispeed, I've just tried to say they're more the same when different. For example, when someone implies that their fixie is quieter than any multispeed bike anywhere, I don't think it's unreasonable to call them out on that. It seems some people agree with me, and some people don't, but in general the discussion has been civil about it, until people started calling people names. If you don't like my ideas, can you try to attack them, and not me?
Old 12-07-04, 07:00 PM
46x17
dances with bicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll give you drop bars if you can show me a quieter geared bike than my fix.
Old 12-07-04, 07:01 PM
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com

Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
kill the poor
Old 12-07-04, 07:08 PM
46x17
dances with bicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
toni-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-hight!
Old 12-07-04, 08:14 PM
harryhood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ajkloss42
Thanks. Did you read what I had to say from the beginning? I have no problem with fixed. I like fixed. Lately, I ride about 25% of my overall mileage fixed. My first century ever was on fixed. Fixed is fun. This is not about not liking one kind of bike or another to me. This is about people saying things about fixed that don't make sense. When someone says they don't get why people like fixed and/or single speed and they get back a bunch of nonsensical answers, I think that's unhelpful to the original poster and reflects badly on cyclists in general and singlespeeders in general. There are lots of good reasons listed in this thread and others about why singlespeed and fixed is good, but there are a lot of silly ones too. I don't think I've said anywhere I think fixed or singlespeed is inferior to multispeed, I've just tried to say they're more the same when different. For example, when someone implies that their fixie is quieter than any multispeed bike anywhere, I don't think it's unreasonable to call them out on that. It seems some people agree with me, and some people don't, but in general the discussion has been civil about it, until people started calling people names. If you don't like my ideas, can you try to attack them, and not me?
ok.
i think you're being stubborn and close minded about a lot of the things that people have brought up here. one in particular that bugs me is the one about getting that Zen experience. why must you insist that it's such ********? just because you have not experienced it doesn't mean others haven't.

i don't recall anyone saying that their fixie is quieter than any geared bike. but i recall you saying that "My [fixed gear] bike is very quiet" is a ******** statement. what's your problem? why is that not a valid reason for someone to like their fixie?

i think addressing these "********" issues is futile in getting through to you. all you do is discredit them. so why even participate?
Old 12-07-04, 08:43 PM
skitbraviking
the way we get by

Bikes: Cinelli Supercorsa / Surly Karate Monkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shouldn't the question read: Why not fixed?
Old 12-07-04, 08:47 PM
Thylacine
Industry Maven

Bikes: Thylacines...only Thylacines.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I enjoy my singlespped because, like, it's a totally rebellious act against, you know, the whole fascist 'planned obscelescence' SLASH "You are nothing wihout a Carbon Titanium Wunderbike with 100 gears" mentality that like SO plagues our doomed consumerist culture right now. It's a total Zen-like experience when your bike is like SOOOOOO quiet riding through the ghettos at 3am with your Chrome bag slung over one shoulder and........wow.......it's just SOOOOOO cool!

If you don't ride fixed or singlespeed, then I'm sorry, but really, like, you're part of the problem and seriously need like an attitude adjustment. It's totally obvious that when you're totally ready to make the jump, you'll like, just KNOW it's the right time to do it and everything and it'll be totally sweet!
Old 12-07-04, 09:27 PM
adamkell
72 & Sunny

Bikes: '93 Yamaguchi Pursuit track bike, Alan Super Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thylacine
I enjoy my singlespped because, like, it's a totally rebellious act against, you know, the whole fascist 'planned obscelescence' SLASH "You are nothing wihout a Carbon Titanium Wunderbike with 100 gears" mentality that like SO plagues our doomed consumerist culture right now. It's a total Zen-like experience when your bike is like SOOOOOO quiet riding through the ghettos at 3am with your Chrome bag slung over one shoulder and........wow.......it's just SOOOOOO cool!

If you don't ride fixed or singlespeed, then I'm sorry, but really, like, you're part of the problem and seriously need like an attitude adjustment. It's totally obvious that when you're totally ready to make the jump, you'll like, just KNOW it's the right time to do it and everything and it'll be totally sweet!
...so thick you could cut it with knife
Old 12-07-04, 09:51 PM
ajkloss42
The 'net ruined cycling

Bikes: Steelman Eurocross, Peugeot U08 fixie, Specialized Expidition, Raleigh Sprite 27, Serotta CDA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harryhood
ok.
i think you're being stubborn and close minded about a lot of the things that people have brought up here. one in particular that bugs me is the one about getting that Zen experience. why must you insist that it's such ********?
Can we compromise on just stubborn? It's the implication that the Zen experience on fixed is better from the Zen experience on any other bike that bothers me. In a lot of ways, if you're riding it right, you shouldn't be able to tell the difference, at least if you are going forwards. It seems analogous to a hypothetical person saying "I don't understand why people ride tiagra when the Zen experience of dura-ace is so powerful." I guess what I'm asking is how does a fixed rider know that the Zen experience is because it's a fixie and not just because it's a bike? What's so different?

As for noise, that discussion was started from a list labeled "Here are the advantages:" and the item from the list was "my bike is very quiet". Being quiet is not an attribute that belongs exclusively to fixed and SS bikes so I don't thing should be a list of reasons that fixed/SS is better. Later, the same poster says, "'My bike is very quiet' Fact. Show me a geared or freewheeled bike that makes less noise than mine and I will give you a set of bullhorns." Doesn't this mean he thinks I couldn't find a bike quieter than his anywhere? It's a silly thing to say anyway, it's not like one of us is going to pay to have the equipment available to test this theory. You'd have to quantify the parameters like simulated bike speed and so on and agree on a testing methodology. It would be a pain costing far more than a set of bars.
Old 12-08-04, 12:29 AM
JavaMan

Bikes: 2013 KHS Flite 747

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have any of you guys "fixed" your car so it would only use one gear? That would be cool. Then you would never have to worry about shifting. Some of you might also consider removing the brakes so you could use the engine to slow down.
Tom
Old 12-08-04, 01:06 AM
ryan_c
troglodyte

Bikes: Crust Romanceur, VO Polyvalent, Surly Steamroller, others?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That happened to me, my shift linkage broke while I was driving a few miles away from my house. Had to get home (not on highways fortunately) with only third gear.
At least it was third and not fourth or first, I think third was the only gear I could start in and get up to a reasonable speed in without redlining.

Ever drive a car without power brakes? It's almost more effective to just use the engine.
Old 12-08-04, 03:14 AM
iceratt
contre nous de la tyranie

Bikes: Trek 830, Trek 520, Surly 1x1 fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I enjoy my singlespped because, like, it's a totally rebellious act against, you know, the whole fascist 'planned obscelescence' SLASH "You are nothing wihout a Carbon Titanium Wunderbike with 100 gears"!
You are making me feel bad about my planned purchase of a titanium fixie with custom engraved dropouts, and alligator saddle. What about MY Zen experience?
Old 12-08-04, 04:24 AM
trespasser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 12-08-04, 05:08 AM
SSSwede
Unfit, fat and forty

Bikes: 2 cheapo ghetto ones (hey Sweden is expensive...)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Me, I have two reasons
-It is a very good way of making an old poor geared bike into something really enjoyable
-It is a very good workout
Old 12-08-04, 09:25 AM
auroch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i once "drove" a van with my legs.
try starting, steering, & stopping a van with
just your legs! definite zen moment right
before i passed out.

ryan c: you're coming with me on all my road trips.

jeff
Old 12-08-04, 09:28 AM
habitus
consistent inconsistency

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
zen comes for you when you smash your frame and eat your saddle. sorry.

Originally Posted by iceratt
You are making me feel bad about my planned purchase of a titanium fixie with custom engraved dropouts, and alligator saddle. What about MY Zen experience?
Old 12-08-04, 10:31 AM
formulaben

Bikes: Felt F2C, Scott Spark 40, and Custom Fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually find fixed to be something of a cheater for things like seated cadence because you don't actually have to be applying any force against the pedals; they'll just pull you along and you'll say, "I was spinning at 140 RPM but really it was just the drive-train bringing your legs along for the ride. On a freewheel bike, if the cadence meter says 140, it's all you.
Cheater? Uh, unless you're going downhill or riding your 'Perpetual Motion' fixie, this is total nonsense. It doesn't matter if it is fixed or SS; 140 RPM is 140 RPM!

Last edited by formulaben; 12-08-04 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-08-04, 12:14 PM
ryan_c
troglodyte

Bikes: Crust Romanceur, VO Polyvalent, Surly Steamroller, others?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stickerguy
ryan c: you're coming with me on all my road trips.
count me in. where to first?
Old 12-08-04, 12:24 PM
46x17
dances with bicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
says, "'My bike is very quiet' Fact. Show me a geared or freewheeled bike that makes less noise than mine and I will give you a set of bullhorns." Doesn't this mean he thinks I couldn't find a bike quieter than his anywhere?
No. It means that you can't find a GEARED bike quieter than mine anywhere.
Old 12-08-04, 02:46 PM
ajkloss42
The 'net ruined cycling

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by formulaben
Cheater? Uh, unless you're going downhill or riding your 'Perpetual Motion' fixie, this is total nonsense. It doesn't matter if it is fixed or SS; 140 RPM is 140 RPM!
I'm talking about downhill.
Old 12-08-04, 03:09 PM
South Fulcrum
I Voted for the Green M&M

Bikes: Fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 12-08-04, 03:10 PM
SamHouston
Good Afternoon!

Bikes: Various by application

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm talking about downhill.
Holding a controlled cadence downhill on a fixie is good for muscle memory/development/spin experience. After all, it doesn't do a bit of good to overspin a gear on your roadbike, and it doesn't do you a bit of good safety wise to let a spin get away from you on a downhill fixed even if you are sporting a front brake.
Old 12-08-04, 03:10 PM
SamHouston
Good Afternoon!

Bikes: Various by application

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
das teh cutes lil kitteh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.