Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Europe bicycle route...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Europe bicycle route...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-23, 04:35 PM
John Martin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Europe bicycle route...

I'm of an advanced age and am planning a long ride (on a rental bike) this coming spring in Europe. The primary issue is -- when renting a bike there is the obligation to return the bike to the place where rented (therefore LOOP ROUTE). Other needs are: 1) 200 to 400 miles, 2) no mountains -- remember the advanced age, and 3) prefer a route with civilization -- as opposed to remote locations with no chance of lodging (since I'll not be camping). I've done several long-distance walking treks in Italy, England, and France but am not tied to those countries.

My research -- so far -- has turned up one loop, Le Tour de Bourgogne.

Many thanks for sharing your experiences. John
Likes For John Martin:
Old 12-23-23, 07:52 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
Mrs. Dan and I did a Burgundy tour on our tandem. Great time. We started and ended in Dijon. We rode about 400 miles in three weeks, staying in each town we visited for a day.

We did have to climb one steep hill going from Cluny to Couches, but we made it. One other option would be to ride the EuroVelo 6 route and taking the train back to your starting point.
Old 12-23-23, 09:25 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Try and look at the various eurovelo routes many seem very suitable to your requirements. Anther option is pick a very cycling friendly location in Europe such as Bedion in France or Girona in Spain and base yourself there and ride daily hub and spoke style.
Old 12-24-23, 06:46 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,230 Posts
C&V events in Europe 2024 - Bike Forums

Bike Forums - C&V events in Europe 2023

Not exactly what was asked, but here are some ideas. C&V things always draw an older crowd. The threads, and ones from earlier years, may also give you some cyclists in EU to private message for ideas.

Last edited by Wildwood; 12-25-23 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-24-23, 11:25 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Or do a point to point and get in a train with your bike and gear. Euro trains are very bike friendly, unlike AMTRAK.

If you are interested, these 2 seniors did a mult-week tour thru central and southern France. Avoided hills like the plague. It was a very good route. They hopped a train to and from the start and finish.

Old 12-24-23, 11:33 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Many bike touring outfitters offer bike rentals and routes, loop and one way. You can choose fully supported or just a bike, a map and hotel reservations.
The Decathlon sports stores offers rental, but pick up and drop off at same store.
Old 12-25-23, 12:59 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
Have you looked into taking your own bike with you? I travel with mine all the time. It's not too hard to do but the only drawback can be what to do with your bike case once you arrive. Sometimes I have been able to just leave it at the hotel I use when first arriving. Another option is to go with a bike box like what bikes come in to stores.
Old 12-25-23, 09:48 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
rather than limiting yourself to a loop, consider taking advantage of the great infrastructure for bikes on trains in Europe. Even high-speed trains often have bike racks. If a high speed connection isn't available, you would have to "settle" for an IC or EC, which are still quite fast in the grand scheme of things--i.e. returning to a starting point 400km away would take you half a day.

If you did one way with a train return, you could do a river route (these are about as flat as it gets, or even with a net elevation loss), like the Danube cycle way, or along the Rhine from point a to b and then take the train back. Or something like Eurovelo 6 from Switzerland/Germany into France can be done one-way with trains on the return, provided this is flat enough.

https://en.francevelotourisme.com/cy...-of-the-rivers

Last edited by Frkl; 12-25-23 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-25-23, 10:37 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by John Martin
I'm of an advanced age and am planning a long ride (on a rental bike) this coming spring in Europe. The primary issue is -- when renting a bike there is the obligation to return the bike to the place where rented (therefore LOOP ROUTE). Other needs are: 1) 200 to 400 miles, 2) no mountains -- remember the advanced age, and 3) prefer a route with civilization -- as opposed to remote locations with no chance of lodging (since I'll not be camping). I've done several long-distance walking treks in Italy, England, and France but am not tied to those countries.

My research -- so far -- has turned up one loop, Le Tour de Bourgogne.

Many thanks for sharing your experiences. John
The information point lacking here is the number of days you plan to spend doing this tour I.E. the number of miles you plan to do each day
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 12-28-23, 02:41 AM
1970bikes

Bikes: 81 Eddy Merckx, 77 Kessels Merckx, 78 De Rosa, 78 Gazelle, 1973 Hillman Track Bike

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 14 Posts
If you can still find it, Nicholas Crane's 'Cycling In Europe' maybe useful.

I used this book to plan my routes when I cycled through Europe. Admittedly, this was in the late 80's.