Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Compatibility between FREE Bike Apps and Sensors?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-24, 07:57 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts

I use free riding apps that supposedly work with most popular speed, heart, cadence, power sensors. But lately, my XOSS sensors will suddenly go nutso in the middle of a ride. Batteries are good and not the problem. I'm on my 4th speed sensor in less than 3 months. I try other free apps and they start off fine, but within a week I get the same results. I go back to original free app and all is well for a week before it acts up again. I can't figure out whether it's the apps or I'm just having a string of bad luck with XOSS sensors. The 2 main apps that I continually go back to are 'SuperCycle' and 'Jepster' but this is not a plug for either. They're just free without ads. Anyone else experience this? Maybe with different sensors or apps?
Old 01-15-24, 07:58 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Wow, didn't expect such a vibrant response. But for future hunters of info on this topic, I'll add this: Before every other ride, I reset the sensors that I'm using and do a complete reboot of the app. This seems to be working, though it is an added inconvenience. I've also noticed that Jepster is much harder on the phone battery than Supercycle, plus Supercycle has a much better (in my opinion) user interface with many more options. Hope this helps someone in the future.
Old 01-16-24, 09:39 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Might be the way Bluetooth is implemented on your phone as far as the sensors reestablishing a connection when you are back in range and using the phone app.

My motoG7 was a pain trying to keep it's Bluetooth connection to my coffee cup. Sometimes it'd reestablish the connection and other times it wouldn't and I'd have to go do various things to get the connection. However since I got a Samsung phone, it's been no issue at all.
Likes For Iride01: