Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

No Kittens were harmed-fixed and geared content w/pics

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-09, 09:16 PM
redxj
N+1

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I should be ashamed. I took a perfectly good fixed gear conversion and put gears back on it! I have owned this 86' Peloton for a number of years now and it has been a fixed gear for most of those. Well I decided since I only rode it last year once maybe it should have gears again. I still have the mostly original Suntour Superbe group, but admit I do like brifters. I disassembled a geared bike to make a fixed gear (more on that further down the post) so I had a Shimano 8 speed group to put on the Peloton. Parts detail: stock frame, fork, Tange headset, Thomson seatpost, Brooks Team Pro, Cinelli Oyster stem, Cinelli Ergo bars, Cinelli tape, Shimano 600 8 speed STI levers, the original from the bike Suntour Superbe front derailleur, Shimano 600 rear derailleur, SRAM Rival 09' 180mm compact crankset, SRAM 8 speed chain, Shimano 105 black front brake, Silver Nashbar rear brake, and some old school Look pedals to match the colors. The front wheel is temporary and left from the fixed build: Phil wood high flange to Velocity Deep V. The rear is an Ultegra hub to a black Mavic Open pro and both wheels wearing Conti GP4000 tires in red. I want to find a matching Ultegra/Black OP to match the rear eventually.

Now the pics:

Since the kitten count needed to be even I turned a geared bike into a fixed gear. This 83' Nishiki Seral was my commuter all of last year in a cross/commuter double STI setup using many of the parts above. Since SA announced the 3 speed S3X hub I wanted to build a bike around it and my Nishki was the perfect candidate. (I bought a Surly LHT to take care of geared commuting duties as well) Well, I got sick of waiting for the hub so I finally installed all the parts I have been saving and buying for the planned build. I borrowed a rear wheel from another bike to use on this until the S3X comes out. Parts detail on this is: 83' Nishiki Seral stock frame, fork, and headset, Profile threadless/threaded converter, Ritchey stem, Cinelli bars, Cinelli tape, Tektro aero brake levers, circa early 90's Shimano LX canti brakes, Thomson post, Chopped B17, Acorn large saddle bag, Midlands bag support, UN54 BB, Shimano Dura Ace 7401 crankset with 39t ring, SRAM chain, Planet bike fenders, Eggbeaters, Tubus Vega rack in the rear, Nitto M12 rack in the front, Planet Bike Blaze dynamo light, and two Kleen Kanteen bottles and cages for much needed hydration. Both wheels were handbuilt by yours truly. The front is a Shimano DH-3D71 hub laced to a Sun CR18 rim (S3X and another CR18 will eventually be the rear wheel). The rear is a double fixed Nashbar hub laced to a Matrix Iso (courtesy of forum member Old Fat Guy) running a 17t Surly cog. Both wheels are wearing Panaracer Pasela TG 700c X 32 tires. I have it geared really low for me so I might try to commute on it. Going to work won't be too bad as it is mostly downhill. The uphill ride might hurt a little.

Future plans include a French style handle bar bag/decaleur setup once I my bank account recovers or I sell some flippers. I also have another Blaze dynamo light to play with DIY dual dynamo lights.

Old 04-01-09, 09:36 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Wierd. My cat died this morning. I went out to dig a hole and found the grave from my previous cat empty.
I'm gonna push a dresser up against the cat door before I go to bed tonight.
Old 04-01-09, 09:44 PM
pass the peas
like we used to say

Bikes: 2009 Surly Cross Check, ca.2013 Worksman INB, 2018 Breezer Doppler Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My first thought for the Nishiki was "needs fenders". Then I saw the fenders. Very stealthy. Is the finish on the M12 bright polished like chrome, or more satin?
Old 04-01-09, 09:48 PM
muccapazza
brain damaged bovine

Location: back on the dental floss ranch, wielding zircon encrusted tweezers

Bikes: Schwinn wrecked ol' Probe 1x2, 84 Bianchi Limited,Cannondale F400,Raleigh 20 folder,78 Schwinn LeTour III Fixed Gear,Redline Conquest Pro,71-73 Gitane TdF,Gitane Grand Sport de Luxe,78 Raleigh Super Course,80 Schwinn World Sport

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
switch the seatposts or stems so they at least match. otherwise God's gonna give the kitty a hangnail.
Old 04-01-09, 10:03 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
I actually don't mind the stem on the Nishiki. The black seems to match the headtube and other accessories pretty nicely. I think it looks really really nice as is.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 04-02-09, 10:52 AM
redxj
N+1

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by muccapazza
switch the seatposts or stems so they at least match. otherwise God's gonna give the kitty a hangnail.
The seatposts are two different sizes so that won't work. I was going to use my Salsa stem in black on the Peloton, but was worried about the recall. I just double checked and my Salsa is not included in the recall so I probably will switch it out. As for the Ritchey black stem it is incredibly hard trying to find a reasonably priced 1 1/8" road stem with the length I needed with a 26.0mm clamp in silver. Trust me I tried hard to find a silver one before I ordered the Ritchey. I could find tons with an oversized clamp and a few with 26.0mm clamp if I wanted to spend $100+ on a stem which I don't. So I guess I am stuck with the carpet not matching the drapes on the Nishiki.

The Nitto M12 finish is a polished finish. It really looks nice in person. I just wish mine was the one with dual threaded bosses for lights and not the single.
Old 04-02-09, 12:06 PM
muccapazza
brain damaged bovine

Location: back on the dental floss ranch, wielding zircon encrusted tweezers

Bikes: Schwinn wrecked ol' Probe 1x2, 84 Bianchi Limited,Cannondale F400,Raleigh 20 folder,78 Schwinn LeTour III Fixed Gear,Redline Conquest Pro,71-73 Gitane TdF,Gitane Grand Sport de Luxe,78 Raleigh Super Course,80 Schwinn World Sport

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No worries, I'm usually a function > form kinda guy, but they are both so nice that it just struck as slightly out of balance to have black stem/ silver seatpost and vice versa. Also I was still in April fool mode. I like them both very much.
Old 04-02-09, 09:58 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

My Trek came with a black stem and silver seat post, must have been a 90's thing? Anyway...you could always remove the black finish with oven cleaner and polish it to a bright shine. I personally like it as it is, but it is an option.

While I was digging around for info about Nishiki's I saw some stuff about the Seral. It seems like they are really nice frames.
Old 04-03-09, 08:33 AM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I like the way they turned out. I wouldn't change the seat post - stem situation at all, nice balance on both bikes.
Old 04-03-09, 10:24 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Even the rise in the Ritchey stem seems to look really nice with the front rack there. It almost makes a Rando bar appearance.
Old 04-03-09, 02:06 PM
Caferacernoc

Bikes: Schwinn Traveler, Chimo Concourse, Next mountain bike, all crap!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sweet. Looks like I put the same stem on my '85 Peloton: