Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Studded tire advice

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Studded tire advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-23, 10:24 PM
oberon

Bikes: Novara Bonanza 06

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Studded tire advice

So I have two Schwalbe studded tires, they're both 700x40, but one is a "winter" and the other is a "marathon winter".

The only noticeable difference is the lack of studs on the outer spots on the "winter".

My question is: which would you mount on the front, and which on the rear?

My tendency was to mount the one with shoulder studs on the front because I could see those mattering in turns. But I could also see the rear sliding out due to the lack of shoulder studs.

Thoughts?

Thank you,
Tim Zimmerman
Old 09-28-23, 08:29 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
I'd put it on the front since loss of traction in the front much more dangerous than in the rear. In practice both tires probably perform very similarly. Even with studs I try not to lean much when riding on slippery surfaces.
Likes For gecho:
Old 09-28-23, 12:29 PM
TC1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by oberon
As with any other pair of tires, I would put the better tire on the front -- which in this case, is clearly the new one on the left. Many riders can manage a rear-wheel slide, but few can handle losing the front.
Likes For TC1:
Old 09-28-23, 12:36 PM
campfire

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 77 Posts
For a couple winters now I've run a Marathon Winter on the front of my ebike. The back runs an old MTB tire that I've threaded full of sheet metal screws. As you might expect, the soft screws quickly wore down while the carbide studs have no visible wear (yet). So I have a great tire in front and a decent tire in back. The front won't slip unless I'm being stupid. When I do slip the back, I can effectively correct for that by steering the front wheel. I don't have a good way to correct a front slide. So this combination is much better than if I switched the tires around.

For your situation, both your tires are good, and I wouldn't expect a huge difference between them. How hard do you lean into turns? I'm commuting on a class 3 (28MPH) ebike, and I'm cornering faster than most cyclists. But I don't think I'm engaging the side studs much. They are more of an insurance policy for if the bike starts to slide out from under me.

Last edited by campfire; 09-28-23 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-02-23, 07:05 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Google Schwalbe Marathon replacement studs and get the set that comes with an insertion tool. As others said, the tire in the better shape should go to the front.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 10-02-23, 12:35 PM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
I think the main advantage of the outer row of studs is for icy rut conditions and "climbing out," more so than for cornering. That's far more critical on the front. The rear will follow the front for the most part.
Likes For MNBikeCommuter:
Old 10-02-23, 12:59 PM
ljsense

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
It's better to have your rear tire lose traction before your front tire does.
Likes For ljsense:
Old 10-03-23, 12:42 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Google Schwalbe Marathon replacement studs and get the set that comes with an insertion tool. As others said, the tire in the better shape should go to the front.
yup, just add them to the tire that needs them
SCHWALBE 50 Tyre Spikes & Spike Replacement Tool
Old 10-09-23, 06:38 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by oberon
So I have two Schwalbe studded tires, they're both 700x40, but one is a "winter" and the other is a "marathon winter".

The only noticeable difference is the lack of studs on the outer spots on the "winter".

My tendency was to mount the one with shoulder studs on the front because I could see those mattering in turns. But I could also see the rear sliding out due to the lack of shoulder studs.

Thoughts?

Thank you,
Tim Zimmerman
So™, riding with the higher stud count in the front is the way to go. BTW, keep an eye on those particular Schwalbe Winter tires mounted for the rear. They can cause you flats.

Last edited by prairiepedaler; 10-09-23 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-09-23, 02:58 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
FWIW, I know several veteran winter riders who ride studs only in the front. As others here have noted, if the front wheel slides out on ice, you are going down, fast. If the rear wheel slides, you have a fair chance of recovering.
Old 10-09-23, 03:37 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
FWIW, I know several veteran winter riders who ride studs only in the front. As others here have noted, if the front wheel slides out on ice, you are going down, fast. If the rear wheel slides, you have a fair chance of recovering.
Sorry but I disagree...I've been winter riding and commuting for a long time and I always used both front and rear studded tires if there is any ice along my routes. Loosing control is unacceptable to me, especially if I am riding in traffic....Have you ever had the rear of the bike spin out of control on ice ???. I have and it's not as easy to recover as you think and this happened with a worn out studded tire in the rear. Never again, I refuse to take those type of chances. Another problem with running studded tire on the front is you won't be able to climb hills because the rear tire will spin out and slide, also riding down an ice covered hills with only one studded tire on the front and the rear of the bike will slide out and loose control. Riding through icy ruts will also be an issue with only one studded tire... Sorry I don't like half-assing and I don't like minimum standards. I like to be prepared.
Old 10-09-23, 03:51 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Sorry but I disagree...I've been winter riding and commuting for a long time and I always used both front and rear studded tires if there is any ice along my routes. Loosing control is unacceptable to me, especially if I am riding in traffic....Have you ever had the rear of the bike spin out of control on ice ???. I have and it's not as easy to recover as you think and this happened with a worn out studded tire in the rear. Never again, I refuse to take those type of chances. Another problem with running studded tire on the front is you won't be able to climb hills because the rear tire will spin out and slide, also riding down an ice covered hills with only one studded tire on the front and the rear of the bike will slide out and loose control. Riding through icy ruts will also be an issue with only one studded tire... Sorry I don't like half-assing and I don't like minimum standards. I like to be prepared.
This is @wolfchild's usual stridency, assuming that his experience applies to all and that others don't know a thing.

I've been riding on snow and ice for years. I've ridden with studded tires. Also without, using wider tires at low pressure. I've had skids of all kinds on ice, snow and ice, puddles and ice, you name it. I've gone down at times, stayed up far more times.

So when Mr. Know-It-All says "it's not as easy as you think", he's assuming that he's talking from experience and I'm not.

wolfchild - ride with the setup you want. I don't care. But one day maybe you will learn that your experience and others' are both valid.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 11-26-23, 09:43 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Some potentially useful/relevant information under "Commuting" HERE.
Old 12-01-23, 04:28 PM
Alan K

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Agreed!
I have been riding for decades in winter - snow, ice and varying amounts - anything less than good studded tires on both wheels in our conditions in winter is unsafe and frankly, sheer stupidity. On an uphill grade with packed snow or ice, one will have little to no traction without studded tires.
But even stupid practices do serve a useful function - clean up of gene pool! 😉
Old 12-02-23, 10:03 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
a fun pic, that I like, from last winter

I like this one too. very different situation, tho

it's just not time yet. also holding off on the car's winter tires too. but soon