Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Favorite mini pump.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-24, 08:08 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Back when the best regarded pumps were Zefal and Silca, I tried them both many times. The Zefal won handily. @79pmooney is right about handling abuse. Plastic is not as durable as aluminum.

And folks, it's Zefal with an 'f' not a 'ph'. Z-E-F-A-L

Silca may be an admirable company, but it doesn't raise the Impero pump in my eyes. I'm comparing pumps, not companies.
I think some users value Italian brands more the French.

When I bought my road bike that has a Campy drive train, I decided that some vintage Reg brand water bottle cages that were made in Italy decades ago were the right cages for it. It just occured to me, I have a Zefal on that bike, but a Silca pump in storage. I might need to swap pumps.
Old 03-25-24, 11:14 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
noglider Posted: Silca may be an admirable company, but it doesn't raise the Impero pump in my eyes. I'm comparing pumps, not companies.
I am comparing metal over plastic and not a name. I believe the current pumps by Silca are higher quality and will hold up better than most of the current offerings.

​​​​​​​Tourist in MSN Posted: I think some users value Italian brands more the French.

When I bought my road bike that has a Campy drive train, I decided that some vintage Reg brand water bottle cages that were made in Italy decades ago were the right cages for it. It just occured to me, I have a Zefal on that bike, but a Silca pump in storage. I might need to swap pumps.
I am more of the, does it work and not leave me stranded connoisseur. French, Italian or Chinese I don't care. The Stompump that I am purchasing next week is made in California. It has evidently ben the subject of jokes on its appearance. It is made of high quality aluminum and has a filter to keep out dirt.
Old 03-26-24, 12:55 PM
LuisUp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
I once counted when using my small Mini Morph pump: over 200 strokes to get to maybe 60-70 psi on a 25mm tire. Small pumps are convenient, but really slow.
(I would just pump up to a soft, but rideable pressure, not the usual full pressure. Now I use CO2.)
Great advice, I'll have to try it
Old 03-26-24, 12:57 PM
LuisUp

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
79pmooney: By 2013, SILCA was the oldest company in the bicycle industry to have been continually owned by the same family. In August of 2013, Claudio Sacchi, grandson of Felice, sold the company to Joshua Poertner an American. I had one of those old Silca pumps and put the Campi pump head on it. I believe the pump body was plastic. I later replaced it with a Zephal. The company sold in name only. The current pumps are of American design and are higher quality than the old Zephal pumps. Silca does sell replacement parts for the older floor pumps and makes a few models of their own along with some cutting edge racing bicycle tools and accessories.
Informative, thanks for the information
Old 03-26-24, 09:39 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Silca Tattico pump takes 300 strokes to get to 85, and anything past 85 took a huge strength effort, whereas the Lezyne Road Drive large took 200 strokes to get to 100 with less effort. The Lezyne Road Drive large weighs 120 grams whereas the Silca Tattico weighs 165.

But there is a newer pump that escaped my radar, that one is made by Topeak called the Roadie 2stage, I saw a video of a guy who pumped the Roadie 2stage to 100 psi never had more than 2 fingers on the pump to show how easy it was to pump, but it took about 350 strokes, This pump has me so intrigued I'm going to have to order it! This video is for the smaller mini version, the longer version won't take near as many strokes, but you can see how easy it is to use, he's just using 2 fingers when he switches to high pressure mode:

Last edited by rekmeyata; 03-26-24 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-26-24, 09:54 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Topeak confused me a bit, they make a Roadie 2 stage, and a Roadie TT, and thought the TT had the 2 stage design, it does not evidently, only the 2stage one does, the 2stage one is the easy one to use at high pressure
Old 03-26-24, 10:43 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
I found a flaw with my pump. It has a hose which I screw onto the valve stem. Nowadays, some brand new tubes have valve cores which are not screwed in tightly. I was commuting to work and got a flat, changed the tube, and every time I removed the hose, the valve core came out. I guess I'll check all my tubes before I put them in my tool bag, but I'm not happy about this. I ended up getting back on my route by flagging down a cyclist and using his pump, the kind you just push on and pull off.
Last season, or maybe two seasons ago, my riding partner unscrewed his valve core like that. It was cold, getting dark, and we a ways from the finish of a 400k brevet. Fortunately I had a valve tool and my Road Morph with clamp on head.

I have enough to do while prepping for rides; I don't need to add checking valve core tightness to my checklist.

Every time I see one of these threads I think maybe there's an upgrade from my ancient Road Morph. Other than adding a gauge with a G, I'm not seeing it. Must-haves to me are a hose, clamp-on head, and base that allows pumping against the ground. Frame mount means it's always there; again I don't need another checklist item.

I did a rainy 600k around the Olympic Peninsula a few years ago, and afterwards found the pump was full of water. By rainy I mean pretty much 600km of rain. What a slog. Since then I've kept a piece of tape over the head.
Old 03-27-24, 04:56 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
I use a Topeak Road Morph pump. I got this to replace my previous Topeak mini pump, which served me well for a dozen years until I wore it out. The Road Morph has a gauge, a hose which can be extended, and a tab which can be used to hold the pump in place with your foot. You can unscrew and reverse the collar on the pump head to switch between presta and Schrader. I have found this pump to be good enough to do the job of a floor pump, it works on road and MTB tires, and can easily pump over 120 psi.
Old 03-27-24, 10:12 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
I have enough to do while prepping for rides; I don't need to add checking valve core tightness to my checklist.
My perspective also, but most of my riding is commuting, and the rest is day rides, no brevets. I tossed the valve tool in my tool bag, and I may never use it.

I'll keep this pump, but I won't buy another screw-on pump for presta valves, and I'll recommend against them.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-27-24, 10:21 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Threaded chucks have pros and cons, just like press-on chucks. Generally I prefer threaded chucks on mini pumps because they're more compact and put less stress on latex tubes.

I have had a valve core come loose on me once, causing a slow leak that baffled me until I figured out the problem. So now I'm in the habit of checking valve cores often. And I usually carry a valve core wrench, replacement valve core and extension hollow tube (although I have only one set of high profile aero rims and don't really need the valve extensions).

The only problem I've had with latex tubes over the past several years is the valve is attached to a latex patch that is glued to the main body of the tube. The force of press-on chuck in a partially inflated latex tube tends to cause the valve to separate from the tube over time. That's always been the failure point for my Vittoria (and Vittoria-made SIlca) latex tubes. A threaded chuck puts less pressure on that spot with a partially inflated tube.

My floor pump (Nashbar Earl Grey, good and cheap when it was available) has a press-on/clamp-on chuck. When I need to inflate an under-inflated latex tube I'll deflate the tube completely to reduce some of that pressure on the vulnerable glued patch holding the valve in place.

And I need to partially disassemble the floor pump chuck once in awhile to clean it out, otherwise it won't clamp securely on valves. Especially the Vittoria and Silca latex tubes with valves that have smooth aluminum tubes, no threads or knurling to give the clamp-on chuck something to grab securely. The slightest bit of oil, even from my hands, or water can cause the clamp-on chuck to pop loose during inflating, or to leak almost as fast as I can pump. Usually a quick wipe of the valve and chuck cleans it up well enough, but occasionally I need to unscrew the collar that holds the rubber O-rings in place, and clean the O-rings with isopropyl alcohol.
Old 03-27-24, 11:10 PM
Rick

.cranklecat Posted: Threaded chucks have pros and cons, just like press-on chucks. Generally I prefer threaded chucks on mini pumps because they're more compact and put less stress on latex tubes.

I have had a valve core come loose on me once, causing a slow leak that baffled me until I figured out the problem. So now I'm in the habit of checking valve cores often.
Not long ago I was baffled temperrairelly by a loose presta valve core. I also found that it doesn't take much to separate the presta valves from the tube on those new very thin tubes. I solved this on my floor pump with the Silca Hiro chuck. Jaco makes a presta chuck that you push over the valve and push the top in to release it.
I want to adapt this to a mini pump.

Last edited by Rick; 03-27-24 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-28-24, 07:58 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Jaco makes a presta chuck that you push over the valve and push the top in to release it. I want to adapt this to a mini pump.
I tried this and similar chucks for the hand and floor pumps, and they were useless. Presumably, they are meant exclusively for hoses constantly under pressure, i.e., fed by a compressor.
Old 03-28-24, 08:46 AM
Rick

2 i Posted: I tried this and similar chucks for the hand and floor pumps, and they were useless. Presumably, they are meant exclusively for hoses constantly under pressure, i.e., fed by a compressor.
There is open and closed flow air chucks. The lightning air chucks for bicycles made by Jaco are open flow. Jaco describes there open flow chucks and says you need an additional control device to keep the compressor from constantly sending air through it. They also state that you can have an inline air gauge with openflow. I believe it will work. If not I can send it back.
Old 03-28-24, 10:00 AM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by canklecat
Threaded chucks have pros and cons, just like press-on chucks. Generally I prefer threaded chucks on mini pumps because they're more compact and put less stress on latex tubes.

The only problem I've had with latex tubes over the past several years is the valve is attached to a latex patch that is glued to the main body of the tube. The force of press-on chuck in a partially inflated latex tube tends to cause the valve to separate from the tube over time.
When the latex valve failed were you applying pressure on the tire under the valve stem to push it up so you could press on the chuck?

This is interesting to know, because a lot of pumps are press on chucks, and this is the first I've heard of this issue with latex tubes.

Thanks
Old 03-28-24, 01:44 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
For a decade and a half or so I carried* the two-stage Swedish Quicker Pro, praised by Compass Bikes and Velo Orange back in the day. I'm not sure if it's available anymore; a 'net search indicated 'no'.

*Shrug. I maybe pumped two on-the-road flats with this. I don't get a lot of flats. I dunno. Seemed okay, but I didn't name a child after it or anything.
Old 03-28-24, 01:53 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Surprised to find 4 pages on manual pumps. It seemed like all the cool kids used CO2 for a good bit but are now migrating to those little electric pumps.
Old 03-28-24, 02:27 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Surprised to find 4 pages on manual pumps. It seemed like all the cool kids used CO2 for a good bit but are now migrating to those little electric pumps.
So am I going to be lending my HPX out to folk with dead batteries now?
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-28-24, 05:03 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I'm a real big fan of the Lyzene, because my frame has mounts for it. If it wears out and they go under, I'm in trouble, might have to find an old zefal
Old 03-28-24, 08:53 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
The cool kids consider phone a friend to be an acceptable outcome.
Old 03-29-24, 09:06 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
I am comparing metal over plastic and not a name. I believe the current pumps by Silca are higher quality and will hold up better than most of the current offerings.
The current Silca Tattico is certainly built to last and am pretty sure it will outlive me! It gets so little use with tubeless tyres (none basically) I sometimes wonder if it’s overkill to be honest.

I do also have a cheap, tiny micro pump from Chain Reaction. It’s hard work to use and feels a bit flimsy (which is why I bought the Tattico), but it fits much better in a jersey pocket. I carry the Tattico on a bottle mount. It’s fine but quite a piece to just carry around for the ride!
Old 03-29-24, 10:30 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by tcs
My brother in law gave me a CO2 kit. I haven't used it. I don't trust it. I'll empty the cartridge prematurely or something. And CO2 leaks after a day. What if I need two or three cartridges? My pump is more reliable.

I learned a good tip for using CO2 though. If the cartridge isn't enough to fill your tire and you want to use it with a pump, better to do the pumping first and letting the cartridge top you up. If you use the cartridge first, topping up with the pump takes more force since the pressure is higher.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Likes For noglider:
Old 03-29-24, 11:52 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
My brother in law gave me a CO2 kit. I haven't used it. I don't trust it. I'll empty the cartridge prematurely or something. And CO2 leaks after a day. What if I need two or three cartridges? My pump is more reliable.

I learned a good tip for using CO2 though. If the cartridge isn't enough to fill your tire and you want to use it with a pump, better to do the pumping first and letting the cartridge top you up. If you use the cartridge first, topping up with the pump takes more force since the pressure is higher.
I have never used a CO2 cartridge, only a pump. But I have witnessed several friends use up their one and only CO2 cartridge and suddenly were out of luck without as much air as they wanted. Or in one case, had to wait for the spouse to pick them up at some road intersection when their spare tube started to leak too.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 03-29-24, 12:05 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Yeah carrying only a cartridge seems silly. If you want it to save you the pumping trouble, that's fine.

Old 03-29-24, 09:36 PM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by downtube42
The cool kids consider phone a friend to be an acceptable outcome.
They don't phone their friends, they phone their mommies.
Old 03-29-24, 09:38 PM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I have never used a CO2 cartridge, only a pump. But I have witnessed several friends use up their one and only CO2 cartridge and suddenly were out of luck without as much air as they wanted. Or in one case, had to wait for the spouse to pick them up at some road intersection when their spare tube started to leak too.
Yup, they had to phone their mommies to come get their little boys.

I could understand using CO2, put not having a back up plan is just plain stupid considering they make hybrid pumps that do both!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.