Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage 74 Raleigh Professional black/silver

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-16, 02:12 PM
Zen10NiN
Banned.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Hello folks. I am new to this site. Just recently got into vintage road bicycles. I've been on a journey and it's been nothing short of amazing. I started off buying a Schwinn varsity on Craigslist. Converted to a fixie and sold her for s small profit. I did this until I had enough money to buy the frame of my dream bike. A Raleigh professional in mink blue. I found one on eBay and convinced myself it was the one. I lost. I lost the bid and was heartbroken. Then out of no where I found one! But it was silver and black. I had never seen one that color before. After being assured it wasn't a fake or something I purchased it. After some research I found out they only made these for 1 year in black/silver! 74! I only have the frame and fork. I want to piece it back together using original parts. If there are any in the know out there I'd sure could use some help. Like what kind of bottom bracket did they use? Handlebars? Paint color? Thank you. It's in the mail right now so I'll post pics as soon as it arrives!
Old 09-20-16, 02:26 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
All you are looking to know: *for now

https://www.bulgier.net/pics/bike/Cat...3TechSpecs.jpg

Old 09-20-16, 02:53 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
Here is one in the wild...

74 Raleigh Pro Mk IV ride by L Travers, on Flickr

Be aware that things like the wheels, bar and stem often got changed before delivery. But pretty much if you use Campag Nuovo Record for components, you will be "correct".

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 09-20-16, 03:03 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
It won't be correct but I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over using Nitto bar and stem for this build.

OP: you should start a build thread for this with pics of the bike and outline your plans. You'll get lots of feedback and we like looking at pics of bikes as they are built up.
Old 09-20-16, 03:08 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1830 Post(s)
Liked 3,383 Times in 1,584 Posts
As noted, use the best parts of that era, and you are pretty much on the right track. Don't forget to mount some nice tubulars too!

As Lynn notes, some tweaks were made at the shops, and some folks would make a few changes themselves (such as Lynn's pedals). Don't be afraid to use clinchers if you aren't interested in the special skills needed to care for tubulars.

So.. how about some photos?? I'm always intrigued by how some frames manage to survive the decades with minimal wear and tear. Of course, sometimes you want to buy a frame with some miles on it, just so you don't feel too bad about the inevitable nicks and scratches that will happen while riding it yourself.

Congrats on the new addition to the stable, and keep us informed on the progress!

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-20-16, 03:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,480 Times in 1,439 Posts
Have you decided whether to equip it as originally or to just make it the best riding bike you can? If it were my bike -- and it isn't! -- I would do the latter. A lot of us here on C&V love old bikes and the way they were made, but a lot of us also like to take old frames and equip them with new components or a mix of new and old. There is a thread called retro roadies where we do this. Take a look and see what you think.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-20-16, 05:55 PM
Zen10NiN
Banned.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I'm getting excited!

Okay I'm going to post a pic of the pro I just bought and a pic of how I want it to look when I'm finished. I want to restore it to complete original. I have a few questions; what is the best way to go about touching up the paint? Especially the silver. Is there a paint brand or technique that works best? Also I read the 74s had a 170mm crank. What kind of campagnolo bottom bracket did it have? I'm having a great deal of trouble loacating replace my handlebars. These g.b. Maes?
Old 09-20-16, 05:57 PM
Zen10NiN
Banned.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Zen10NiN
Okay I'm going to post a pic of the pro I just bought and a pic of how I want it to look when I'm finished. I want to restore it to complete original. I have a few questions; what is the best way to go about touching up the paint? Especially the silver. Is there a paint brand or technique that works best? Also I read the 74s had a 170mm crank. What kind of campagnolo bottom bracket did it have? I'm having a great deal of trouble loacating replace my handlebars. These g.b. Maes?
Can you guys see the pics???
Old 09-20-16, 06:06 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Not seeing pictures.
Old 09-20-16, 06:11 PM
Zen10NiN
Banned.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
https://https://i262.photobucket.com/a...os/s-l1600.jpg
Old 09-20-16, 06:12 PM
Zen10NiN
Banned.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
https://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii115/codypatton_photos/catalog.jpg
Old 09-20-16, 06:12 PM
Zen10NiN
Banned.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Christ what's an easy way to upload pics here
Old 09-20-16, 06:40 PM
Wulf

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
A reputable shop would equip the bike to fit the rider. 170 mm cranks are good for avg height people but if you have a 25 inch or larger frame, it might have come with 175s. This goes for all the equipment such as stem and bar sizes toe-clip length. A Brooks Professional would look pretty nice up there but a leather covered Unicanitor would not be out of place. The pro only came with tubulars as did all top end racing bikes. Some people had a second set of wheels built as clinchers. Clement made a 700x28 clincher at the time.
Old 09-20-16, 06:43 PM
Slash5

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Old 09-20-16, 06:45 PM
Zen10NiN
Banned.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Slash5

Thanks what do you guys think???
Old 09-20-16, 07:17 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,383 Times in 7,211 Posts
...I admire your enthusiasm, but in all honesty, unless you have a complete donor bike or similar collection of components, you can make yourself crazy trying to make one of these "all original", and spend a great deal of money in the process.

Some places you can both save money and improve on the original are in the bar, bottom bracket, and brakes. If you have to have it all original, it will probably take you a while to get it all together. I would urge you to reconsider on the all original tubular wheels and tyres.

My own philosophical approach to something that comes to me as a bare frame is make a few compromises in order to get it rolling, and then see if anything bothers me enough to spend the money to change it out. They are nice riding bikes if fitted well to the rider. Probably about as good as anything contemporary in my experience with stuff.
Old 09-20-16, 07:22 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I admire your enthusiasm, but in all honesty, unless you have a complete donor bike or similar collection of components, you can make yourself crazy trying to make one of these "all original", and spend a great deal of money in the process.

Some places you can both save money and improve on the original are in the bar, bottom bracket, and brakes. If you have to have it all original, it will probably take you a while to get it all together. I would urge you to reconsider on the all original tubular wheels and tyres.

My own philosophical approach to something that comes to me as a bare frame is make a few compromises in order to get it rolling, and then see if anything bothers me enough to spend the money to change it out. They are nice riding bikes if fitted well to the rider. Probably about as good as anything contemporary in my experience with stuff.
+ 1. I agree. Without a donor bike or a box full of parts, the cost to make this 100% original can easily spiral out of control.
Old 09-20-16, 07:31 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,039 Times in 406 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
+1 I obtained my 76 Mk IV just 3 years ago and though it has a nice selection of original Campy bits on it, there were also some very good period correct alternatives, probably fitted at point of sale or early on: very good Sugino crankset/BB, very good Suntour sealed bearing hubs and Araya A20 rims. I decided to do a complete overhaul and get it back on the road. Now about 2500 miles down the road and I've just loved every mile. Great bike, fine ride, looks great, I could not be happier. I'm glad I've been living those miles these past 3 years instead of shopping all the time for the "correct" bits to replace the very good stuff while the Pro waits in the shop for its freedom. Consider your goals......
Old 09-20-16, 07:57 PM
Zen10NiN
Banned.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Yes I think maybe I'll wait to catch one that's more intact with original parts to do a complete restore. I would however like to restore the frame. Keep the original paint it has and fix the chips. Maybe order a few original stickers. What's a good paint or process
Old 09-20-16, 08:17 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I think this really depends on you and what you want. From your posts, my guess is that compromise isn't going to satisfy your itch, so I'd go slow, savor the build and buy the "right" campy bits as they became available. Depending on your area, it's CL and vintage community, they can be easier to find than you'd think.

I'd probably hew pretty close to the parts spec if I wanted to really get Rosebud.

I have some bikes that are sort of throw togethers...and others that are pretty "correct". They don't ride any better, but they are more fun in other ways. Well, they ride better than most other period correct parts, but others here will fiercely debate that point.
Old 09-20-16, 08:56 PM
Vintage Raleigh

Bikes: 1974 Copper Raleigh International, 1975 Olive Green Raleigh Grand Prix, 1974 Raleigh Europa Custom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
+ 1. I agree. Without a donor bike or a box full of parts, the cost to make this 100% original can easily spiral out of control.
Every bike I own. The International was an expensive folly and still not quite fettled (rear guard need damping to alleviate rattles / rear brakes need toe in).

Current project so far flagged for replacement -
Leather bar tape / Velox plugs
Panaracer PT's
Tubes
Alloy rims / SS Spokes
Cables / Bearings / Cable Clips
Brake Shoes / Housings / Hoods
FD / Shifters
Stem
Pedal Caps

Etc...
Old 09-20-16, 09:05 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 526 Posts
Nice frame, I think you need to decide first what you are going to do to the frame. Are you going to keep it as is with that nice patina or refresh it or complete new repaint. Then you can decide what you are going to put on it. If you are going to keep the patina then you probably want to get nice used parts. If you are going to refresh the frame, touch up the bad parts, maybe paint match scratches and scrapes; then newer used parts would look nice. If you are going for a full refresh with new paint, then you are looking at NOS or better looking used parts.
Old 09-21-16, 09:22 AM
Zen10NiN
Banned.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Well I'm really on the fence about what I want to do. The thing is I have a daily rider already. I have 2 little boys and I had the idea of getting an old frame to restore to original condition with them. Not a get back on the road as soon as possible project. I want to keep the paint as is on the bike and repaint the blemishes. I don't want to erase something original. A question I have is about value. You see these original professionals intact going for 1k-1500k on eBay. If I were to restore it to all original parts, all campy even brooks saddle would it be worth that if I were to sell it?
Old 09-21-16, 09:46 AM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Zen10NiN
Well I'm really on the fence about what I want to do. The thing is I have a daily rider already. I have 2 little boys and I had the idea of getting an old frame to restore to original condition with them. Not a get back on the road as soon as possible project. I want to keep the paint as is on the bike and repaint the blemishes. I don't want to erase something original. A question I have is about value. You see these original professionals intact going for 1k-1500k on eBay. If I were to restore it to all original parts, all campy even brooks saddle would it be worth that if I were to sell it?
If you have your heart set on a blue/silver one, hold out until one becomes available. They come up for sale frequently enough, especially since you are in no hurry.

If you restore one to all original condition and then sell it, you will most likely lose money. It can be done but you'll need to get a great deal on the frame (or have non-original parts on it that are desirable) and then patiently find original parts at good prices.
Old 09-21-16, 09:50 AM
Zen10NiN
Banned.

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kactus
If you have your heart set on a blue/silver one, hold out until one becomes available. They come up for sale frequently enough, especially since you are in no hurry.

If you restore one to all original condition and then sell it, you will most likely lose money. It can be done but you'll need to get a great deal on the frame (or have non-original parts on it that are desirable) and then patiently find original parts at good prices.
Yeah if I think I will restore the frame the best I can and deck it out with some more up to date gear. I've been reading about those phill wood bottom bracket conversions. I want to have one all original but I'd rather restore one that came with the original parts. Thanks kactus

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.