Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Communications Equipment - What do you use?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-09, 01:50 PM
Bheleu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I posted this in the general discussion area, and was told I should ask those who tandem ride. Do any of you use radio headsets to talk to each other? If so what are they and what is available that I might not be aware of. I looked at some throat mics, and thought about using some walkie talkie style radios with either Vox or Push to talk.
Old 08-28-09, 02:32 PM
MB1
DisMember

Bikes: Waterford RS22 Gearie, Waterford RS22 Fixte, Rivendell Rambouillet, Trek Madone5.5, Santana Beyond, GT Zaskar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vocal cords and ears.
Old 08-28-09, 02:38 PM
WebsterBikeMan

Bikes: Nishiki Continental, Bilenky custom travel tinker, home built winter bike based on Nashbar cross frrame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
See this thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=547497
Old 08-28-09, 05:50 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Don't use any device.
Have seen folks using a device called TandemTalk.
Old 08-29-09, 01:24 AM
rdaviesb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MB1
Vocal cords and ears.
Ditto. No need to make this complicated.
Old 08-29-09, 08:54 AM
DanRH 

Bikes: Da Vinci Joint Venture 700 Tandem, Volagi Liscio Carbon Single, IF Steel Crown Jewel Single, Lemond Fillmore Fixie, Ritchey Breakaway steel single, Bontrager hardtail MTB Single

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I googled Tandem talk also and found you can no longer get them. Now, it's tandemCom. I'd like to know some opinions as well. I checked the other thread and didn't get much from it except that many don't care for them. BUT, I see a lot of people using them so....
Old 08-29-09, 04:20 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Dan,
I would definitely recommend the interphone. The audio quality is great and there is no wind noise. You do have to buy two behind-the-ear audio headsets and hack them up and the electronics velcro'ed to the helmet looks a bit geek, but for us it is so much easier to communicate. My high frequency hearing isn't great and it's much worse on the left so I was constantly turning my head to hear my stoker.

Alternate - find a male or female stoker with a really deep voice.
Old 08-30-09, 01:16 PM
Onegun
Oldie. Boy, howdy!

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rdtompki
I would definitely recommend the interphone. The audio quality is great and there is no wind noise. You do have to buy two behind-the-ear audio headsets and hack them up and the electronics velcro'ed to the helmet looks a bit geek ....
Actually, I think we look a bit like Borg! "We are Borg. Resistance is futile!" (Guess you have to be a Star Trek fan!)

Anyway Dan, here's a review I wrote on most of available units on the market, plus a "how to" on making your own neckbands for the Interphone system, (with pics).

https://billnmaggi.tandemrides.com/20...nt_interphone/

Hope it helps.
BICYCLE - [[I]bahy-si-kuhl] - Noun :> A medical device used to correct the common geriatric condition of OFS, (Old, Fat & Slow), in a manner that does not induce brain-decaying boredom like walking or running.

2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike
Old 08-31-09, 04:56 PM
John R
so cal com

Bikes: Trek hybrid commuter, Specialized Tarmac, Cannondale Cad 6, Shwinn Homegrown MB, Specialized FSR MB Cannondale Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just turn your head and scream, "pedal harder Woman!!!
Old 08-31-09, 05:16 PM
rdtompki

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
-1. Not going there. Bad captain!
Old 08-31-09, 06:12 PM
Onegun
Oldie. Boy, howdy!

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John R
Just turn your head and scream, "pedal harder Woman!!!
Let us know how that works out for you.
BICYCLE - [[I]bahy-si-kuhl] - Noun :> A medical device used to correct the common geriatric condition of OFS, (Old, Fat & Slow), in a manner that does not induce brain-decaying boredom like walking or running.

2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike
Old 09-26-09, 08:54 PM
Skipper

Bikes: Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bump.

Tinymite and I rode the Door County Century a couple of weeks ago. We rode the metric century. We used our new BlueAnt Interphone headsets for the first time. We really liked them.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ght=interphone
Old 09-26-09, 09:16 PM
rdtompki

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
+1 on the Interphone. We're getting at least 6 hours of "on time" with ours. Yes, it's Borg-like, but we find that it increases togetherness quotient. Only downside - between rechargable taillight batteries, two GPS and the Interphone I've got way too much electronics to think about when getting ready.
Old 10-01-09, 12:28 AM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I suggested to my stoker that I should maybe spring for some communications device, as quite often we're in traffic, and I'll say something, and she'll shout back, "I can't hear you!" But she thinks it's all a waste of money, and would create more unforeseen problems than the one hearing problem it would solve.

However, there is one application of wireless units I think would be useful, and that is when you're at a large rest stop on an organized ride. The two of you can then wander about and then let the other know that you want to get going without having to go searching for them.

At any rate, if you do purchase a communication system, I think the first requirement is that it needs to be wireless. Who needs to be tethered together on the bike?

Luis
Old 10-01-09, 07:29 AM
rdtompki

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The Interphone with its long range (>450 ft) also works well on singles. My wife prefers that I ride in front 'cause whe tends to work harder. I lost my mirror a few days ago and complained yesterday that I wouldn't know how far back she is; bingo, problem solved by Interphone. She said (and I'm paraphrasing) "If I don't like what you are doing you'll be the first to know".

Rest Stops: yeah, 450 ft. covers a lot of ground including Portapotty detours. Sometimes more than you want to know.
Old 10-01-09, 07:56 AM
Onegun
Oldie. Boy, howdy!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rdtompki
The Interphone with its long range (>450 ft) also works well on singles .... 450 ft. covers a lot of ground
We use ours on our singles, too. Makes for a much safer ride on road or trail. No need to ride side-by-side to hold a conversation.

We tend to draft each other anyway, but for those that don't, if your riding partner falls too far back, you start to hear a bit of static. Clues you in. (For some reason the slower rider always hates to ask the leader to ease off the pace!)

Also a big help when I'm watching the bike and the convenience store is out of fruit punch Gatorade! Instead of having to run back and forth, Maggi just reads me a list of what they do have from right in front of the display case! Handy!

Old 10-01-09, 08:31 AM
Stray8

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Old 10-01-09, 05:59 PM
rdtompki

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
+1. Ideal stoker equipment properly manufactured of CF and titanium, of course.
Old 10-04-09, 03:58 PM
Tackdriver56
Recumbent Tandem Captain

Bikes: RANS Screamer and Stratus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On our Screamer tandem, we have no trouble communicating with each other, unaided.
So we don't really need electronics on our tandem.

I used to ride single bikes with an older gentleman who has some hearing problems. That was a royal pain, because I had to repeat *everything*. We stopped riding together.

Often in group rides, when the group splits, we will use cell phones to reconnect. I ride with a bluetooth earpiece, and find it both effective and comfortable. I usually have a voice recognition tag for someone else in the group, and can dial using the earpiece, just by speaking the person's name.

Some manufacturers now make BT earpieces which will connect to each other like a walkie talkie, but BT Class 1 is the most powerful, and is only good for about 100 yds, unobstructed.

I have a pair of older Motorola FRS handhelds, good for about 2 miles, and recently got one throat mic setup for. Various throat mics and ear inserts are available for paintball players. This will work between bikes in rural areas with crappy cell coverage.