Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Do you always build bikes with complete originality?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Do you always build bikes with complete originality?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-22, 11:42 AM
Parasites
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
most definitely, collectors love originality
Old 06-12-22, 02:46 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 253 Posts
I got into cycling by accident. Back in 2019 I found an abandoned bicycle in the graden of the place I was renting. It looked like it won't need much work (boy, was I wrong), so I decided to fix it up and use it. No idea what it was, had Ofmega cranks and Ofmega decals on the forks, Sachs-Huret Eco derailleurs and friction shifters. I have managed to fix it up eventually enough to be able to use it. And then started upgrading it. But it didn't feel that great, so I decided I need something better. Got a Motobecane Grand Sprint (1979 probably) frame and that opened a can of worms. I was planning to use the parts I had on the old bike, and suddenly found out nothing fits. Because it's a French bike with French standard headset and Swiss BB threading, it required specific parts from the era. However, other than that, I equipped it with Shimano 600 Ultegra Components. It also had to be repainted, because the original paint was in a sorry state. Now I have two bicycles. The one below is the Grand Sprint which got "sort of" era correct threatment. Sort of, because the components it has came from Motobecane C5 I got few months back (still work in progress). So back in the day no Grand Sprint would have these components. I was trying to get it to the state where it will have only French / Swiss / Belgian components. Just because, but again, not period correct. In the end (I still have a few things I need to do with it), it will have Suntour freewheel, KMC X8 chain, SR seatpost (unless I find Stronglight in correct diameter, no luck so far) and possibly the current pedals (again, SR, but with a French thread).
My other Motobecane is a Reynolds 531 frame with a mix of various components from mid-80's, drivetrain based on Shimano 600EX, wheels I've built on Rigida DP16 rims and Exage hubs... So a Frankenbike. The one I am working on now will get the Shimano 600 Ultegra components about a decade newer than the frame. Because that's what I have and I think they will look great on a red frame. So in short, I don't own anything that could have a value for any collectors anyway. I won't go beyond late 80's with the components (except wheels and consumables) but that's just because I'm not a fan of contemporary bicycles. Lugged steel FTW.