Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Lightest steel freewheel?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Lightest steel freewheel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-13, 01:28 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Campy12
I use only NOS parts on my drivetrain. I replace the freewheel and chain an usually rings all at once. I can get years out of the system as a whole. They wear but not that fast.
That sounds like a really wasteful way to go about it, but if you have the budget...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 09-03-13 at 01:43 PM. Reason: decided against the post-script
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 09-03-13, 03:03 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I have a modern Shimano freewheel on my McLean. It's a wear item, like tires and brake cables. As Dave points out, they're a heck of a lot better than older freewheels. And I do trust it, even though it's chintzier.
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
I have a 50 pound pail of 6 and 7 speed Dura-Ace freewheels and spare cogs. I also have an equivalent stash of Winner and Winner Pro hardware. So here is my unbiased advice.

The best freewheel right now for the combination of light weight and shifting quality is Shimano's TZ20 and TZ21 (6 and 7 speed respectively) Tourney freewheels. Why:
  • They cost less than $15 each.
  • They feature Shimano's superior Hyperglide cog profiles, which provide worlds better shifting than any of the old freewheels. Uniglide and Suntour freewheels were somewhat better than the old Italian cogs, which were hopeless.
  • They have a unique design in which the 2 largest (heaviest) cogs are heavily cut away and supported (pinned to) the smaller cogs. This accounts for their low weight.
  • They have a sensible 14-28 gear range. This elimates the useless 11 and 12 tooth cogs found in current cassettes, and includes lower gears for use with standard crankets. We're not getting younger.
At $15 each, yes, it is a "wear" item. But it is a cheap Chinese POS, which for the most part, cannot be serviced. The cogs cannot be removed for cleaning and the internals cannot be opened for cleaning and lube.

Gearing is very individual to the rider and the terrain they ride in. For instance the smallest cog on any of my bikes is a 32T and they all are equipped with triple cranksets. If I lived in south Florida, I'm certain I'd never use a cog over 26T (maybe even a 24T), and all would have double cranksets.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 09-03-13, 03:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
I'm cool with my Chinese POS. In fact, I like it. Service the bearings? You're the last soul on earth who still does that. I quit doing that in 1981. Change the cogs? I bet less than .01% of the people want to do that.

Since freehubs are so superior, I'll save my complaints for them.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-03-13, 04:23 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
I'm cool with my Chinese POS. In fact, I like it. Service the bearings? You're the last soul on earth who still does that. I quit doing that in 1981. Change the cogs? I bet less than .01% of the people want to do that.
I don't think those bearings ever wear, since there's never a load on them.
Old 09-03-13, 04:59 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by southpawboston
I don't think those bearings ever wear, since there's never a load on them.
But they go to hell real quick if you ride in the rain and let them sit. Half of my 30+ freewheels need a thorough flush-n-lube.
Old 09-03-13, 05:13 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

When freewheels have a problem with bearings, 99% or more of the time, flushing with lube does the trick. Repacking them with grease is way too involved for anyone but Pastor Bob. He enjoys it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 09-03-13, 05:16 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Originally Posted by miamijim
...they go to hell real quick if...
And that's something Pastor Bob never likes to see, if he can prevent it.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 09-03-13, 05:22 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
When freewheels have a problem with bearings, 99% or more of the time, flushing with lube does the trick. Repacking them with grease is way too involved for anyone but Pastor Bob. He enjoys it.
I always try to open up FWs to clean and re-pack them if I can (I think the only one I haven't manage to open is is Maillard Super Compact 7S FW that requires a special fine toothed lockring remover that I do not have). I guess I'm a bit anal and I don't want to miss the smallest bits of dirt hiding in the FWs. Anyway, it's fun to find out how each FW brand and model works as you'd be surprised that they are quite different from each other inside.....
Old 09-03-13, 05:24 PM
RubberLegs

Bikes: 87 Bridgestone 550 (Shocking Electric Metallic Pink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I do so HATE ( I know it isn't nice to HATE) that gritty noise of FINE Florida sand in the freewheel...It isn't rocket science, but it DOES take some time and patience...
Old 09-03-13, 05:29 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,126 Times in 555 Posts

Since freehubs are so superior, I'll save my complaints for them.
Sorry, Tom. I'm going to respectfully disagree. I've taken to servicing my old freewheels. A neighbor gave me a bag of about 7 or 8 nice used freewheels. Added to the ones I already had, I now have about a dozen spare freewheels, all of which will eventually get serviced. I used to simply flush then soak in solvent, followed by another soak in oil. Now, I won't hesitate to give them a full service before putting a FW into operation. I used to be afraid of those mysterious buggers, but it's not nearly as daunting as I thought it would be. Say what you will about modern HG freewheels being so much superior, Regina FWs are still my favorite. I have a some extra Regina cogs (wish I had more) and I do play around with the gearing. I used to change out cogs based on a race profile fairly regularly. If you have the extra cogs on hand, it only takes a few minutes. Some day I'd like to build up a custom wide-range Regina FW for use with my Chorus RD (32t capacity) if I can find all the necessary cogs. In addition, I sourced some NOS Dura Ace 7400 HG cogs and rebuilt the FW to my gearing preferences when I restored my Park Pre. The per cog prices for NOS cogs can be pretty steep, but I do keep my eyes out for "lot" listings of FW cogs for this purpose.
Old 09-03-13, 05:42 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 281 Posts
To each their own. I personally run a SunRace 6 speed FW on my '86 Masi. Shifts great, is shiny silver, and was like $12.
Old 09-04-13, 06:03 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Well waddya know. Thanks for letting me know, Chombi and gaucho777. I didn't know others enjoy overhauling freewheels.

Then again, why not? I fix laptops among the various things I do for a living. I just received a contact from a new client, asking me to teach him how to take apart laptops and put them back together. And why not? It's a similar thing. It's not terribly hard. The patience is the key. Keep track of all the tiny little parts.

Old 09-04-13, 08:12 AM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
To each their own. I personally run a SunRace 6 speed FW on my '86 Masi. Shifts great, is shiny silver, and was like $12.
I have a Sunrace 13-25 on one of the Treks and am pretty impressed with it so far.
Old 09-04-13, 08:43 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
A riding partner once had a freewheel cover plate back off during a ride on an isolated road. We sat in a cold pouring rain, picking as many bearings as we could find, out of the cracks in the asphalt. After what seemed like an eternity, we eventually reassembled it and managed to complete the ride. After that, overhauling a freewheel in the luxury of my workshop, with all the proper tools at my disposal, is a piece of cake (but I still avoid cake whenever possible).

On the customer side, I stopped servicing freewheels years ago. The price of replacement is far cheaper than servicing and in the process you can provide the customer with a Hyperglide compatible unit that will shift better. The only drawback is the more limited ratio selection. Still, that's not an issue for the vast majority of customers and even if it is a concern, they invariably opt for the less expensive solution when they learn the relative costs. I can't remember the last time that I serviced a freewheel for a customer. (98)
Old 09-04-13, 08:49 AM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The price of replacement is far cheaper than servicing and in the process you can provide the customer with a Hyperglide compatible unit that will shift better.
I replaced an old high-end Shimano 600 6-speed freewheel (the twist-tooth type) with a new $15 Sunrace with HG ramps, and the 6-speed SIS shifting improved dramatically. Smoother, quieter, quicker shifts. An example of technology trickling down and making a low-end item superior to what was once considered a high-end item.
Old 09-04-13, 09:42 AM
Campy12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
That sounds like a really wasteful way to go about it, but if you have the budget...
I'd say my beloved road bike is worth spending $250 every 4-5 years to keep a vintage bike vintage and functioning perfectly. Besides if you regularly service your parts and ride properly it can last way more than that.
Old 09-04-13, 09:46 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 281 Posts
It is funny that in 2013 we are in a golden age of cheap, high-performing freewheels.
Old 09-04-13, 10:15 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by Campy12
I'd say my beloved road bike is worth spending $250 every 4-5 years to keep a vintage bike vintage and functioning perfectly. Besides if you regularly service your parts and ride properly it can last way more than that.
I agree with most of that. My thrust was that those pricey freewheels and chainrings might last even longer if you replaced the chain (the cheapest part of the system) regularly or rotated through several, rather than allowing it to wear out the whole system and determine the replacement interval. Did I misread your protocol?
RUSA #7498
Old 09-04-13, 10:46 AM
Campy12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I agree with most of that. My thrust was that those pricey freewheels and chainrings might last even longer if you replaced the chain (the cheapest part of the system) regularly or rotated through several, rather than allowing it to wear out the whole system and determine the replacement interval. Did I misread your protocol?
This may be true if the chain wasn't the most expensive part. I use a Regina Superleggera nos $130 sun tour winner pro nos $50 and Campagnolo chain rings $20-50 the whole system including chain shifts and rides without issues for about 5 years. It's lightweight, performs great and weighs in low.
Old 09-04-13, 10:48 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

A $130 chain... okay, I'm out.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-04-13, 11:21 AM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
^ Same. Sedisport was/is a better chain anyhow The Regina SLs do look cool though.

Though as iab pointed out in a recent post, in these days of $900 modern cranksets, etc., $130 doesn't sound so bad.
Old 09-04-13, 11:53 AM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Everything is going up in value.
Just a couple of years ago, you can still get an NOS Regina America Superleggera (Hybrid Al/FE construction) FW for less than a hundred bucks. Now that many have given up finding a Campagnolo Aluminum FW for any kind of sane price, I think the weenie FW buyers are now moving over to the Hybrids, so the Reginas and Zeus Hybrid FWs are now getting out of reach price-wise for most C&Vers too....
Bad part is, it is hard to find good used ones as they usually have significant wear on their Al cogs....
Old 09-04-13, 08:34 PM
Campy12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually good point with the hybrids. Found a hybrid Zeus. 13-20t at 260grams. All stell except for the 20 and 18 cogs. Asking over $200 for it too. You can get a full alloy Zeus for less.
Old 09-04-13, 09:08 PM
spacemanz

Bikes: Frejus/Bertin/Cannondale

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pars
^ Same. Sedisport was/is a better chain anyhow The Regina SLs do look cool though.

Though as iab pointed out in a recent post, in these days of $900 modern cranksets, etc., $130 doesn't sound so bad.
I actually just salvaged an old Sedis chain recently, but haven't tried it on the bike yet. It's a little heavy, compared to today's stuff, but very smooth-feeling, after a good bath in chain-lube. Plus I have a SRAM master link, to make things easier.
Old 09-04-13, 09:39 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
It's intersting how this thread has evolved!

One way to make your freewheel last longer is to remove the cogs once a year and remove the grit and grime. At the same time completely bathe and service the drive train. Your bike will love you for such devotion!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.