Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I Can’t Stop Buying Vintage Schwinn Road Bikes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

I Can’t Stop Buying Vintage Schwinn Road Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-23, 09:43 AM
justcynn

Bikes: Lots of Schwinns

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 114 Posts
I was on a break from my Schwinn addiction and then saw this thread and started scrolling this forum again (and then started scrolling Marketplace). This '87 Circuit was 4 hours away, in my size with some not great pictures, but it seemed nice. Far enough away I could ignoreit until I couldn't . I made a deal with the seller (paid the $140 ask no questions asked), scheduled a business trip in the area to justify the trip and now its in my collection along with many of its lineup mates from '87 which is the year my mom bought me my first road bike, a lowly Schwinn World. As an aspiring ride at the age of 13, I lusted after the higher end models in the '87 Catalogue. For '87 I now have this Circuit, Super Sport, Tempo and Prelude. along with too many others from other years. I have had the lower end models and moved them out to make room....

This Circuit is a great example with a near perfect original saddle, an upgraded (I think? ) Superbe Pro rear and front derailleur and a 13/30 range on the cassette, which is really close on the short cage, but seems to work and exactly what I would want to tackle the hills on my typcial rides. It has the original 42/53 Suntour front rings, (which may get swapped for a 39 or 40 /52 combo) The plan is to clean it, grease it, new tubes, tires and tape, vintage white bottle cages (the yellow ones are really nice paramounts, just not my color combo for this bike)_ Only question is white tape or bar red tape. I also have a set of Red Spenco padded grips I could use with Aero Hoods)

Can't wait to get it ready to ride.. Thanks GSTEIN for the inspiration, you have a great collection

Last edited by justcynn; 08-26-23 at 11:00 AM.
Likes For justcynn:
Old 08-26-23, 01:40 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts
That is a lovely collection of Schwinns. I sure hope this post isn't a preview of my own future as I just finished the restoration of a 1987 Tempo and have a 1987 Super Sport in the works.

For me, I don't necessarily think Schwinn road bikes were / are anything special, however, it's what I could afford as a kid and they were readily available in my area, hence the Schwinn brand means something to me where as most other brands don't.
Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 08-26-23, 03:26 PM
justcynn

Originally Posted by gstein
I already own a Premis but I am quite confident if I find one in my size with that paint scheme I’m taking it home. Something about that frame that says “Buy Me!”.
I agree - really like the purple premis color scheme. this one is in the St Louis area, sitting there saved in my Marketplace wants, hopefully someone buys it long before I travel through that area. I had the white one like yours, very nice bike. Just had a weak moment and listed a bunch of bikes to try to reduce the total, and that one went...

Marketplace - Schwinn Premis | Facebook
Old 08-26-23, 03:42 PM
justcynn

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
YES.

Also, guess who wants their long-sold '85 Peloton back?
Did someone say '85 Peloton?

The '87 Circuit that just found me is similar to the Peloton. This Peloton is a nice example and likely to hit the For Sale Section once I get around to reupping my membership and finding a box, or maybe it will just continue to hang in the rafters so I don't have the sellers regret like I do with the Premis GSTEIN is showing off in this thread...

Last edited by justcynn; 08-27-23 at 06:15 AM.
Likes For justcynn:
Old 08-26-23, 04:47 PM
EDP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
To quote Obiwan Kenobi- "An elegant weapon for a more civilized age".
Old 08-26-23, 10:33 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by justcynn
Did someone say '85 Peloton?

The '87 Circuit that just found me is similar to the Peloton. This Peloton is a nice example and likely to hit the For Sale Section once I get around to reupping my membership and finding a box, or maybe it will just continue to hang in the rafters so I don't have the sellers regret like I do with the Premis JSTEIN is showing off in this thread...
Man, you are NOT helping!! I've been going over geometry of my '89 OS Paramount and the '85 Peloton I had. Another '85 would have me not running it in original form. It would be full-tilt modernized, and I will soon have an available Dura-Ace 9070 (Di2) groupset with which to bestow upon a bike. My Paramount has worn 9000 before, and can again, only with even fancier stuff. That will likely be its path. The Circuit being the Peloton's SL/SP successor will be well-served with a sibling. I need to keep my fleet in check (as I reduce it because of life reasons), so, you know, keep both those gems!!
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 08-28-23, 11:13 AM
gstein

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 40 Posts

Can't wait to get it ready to ride.. Thanks GSTEIN for the inspiration, you have a great collection

Glad I could help renew your as Schwinn addiction! Beautiful Circuit bike you picked up.
Old 08-28-23, 11:17 AM
gstein

I agree - really like the purple premis color scheme. this one is in the St Louis area, sitting there saved in my Marketplace wants, hopefully someone buys it long before I travel through that area. I had the white one like yours, very nice bike. Just had a weak moment and listed a bunch of bikes to try to reduce the total, and that one went...

Marketplace - Schwinn Premis | Facebook
I was just in the St. Louis area. No surprise, I reached out to that gentleman to inquire about the purple Premis. He never got back to me which is probably a good thing as I need to pump the brakes a bit on the bike purchases.
Likes For gstein:
Old 08-28-23, 11:22 AM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 327 Posts
I love old Schwinns. I have several New Worlds, Travelers, and a Superior. My latest completed Schwinn project was this 1959 Schwinn Traveler.

Likes For SirMike1983:
Old 08-28-23, 01:39 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,412 Posts
Did you get a chance to take the Circuit out for any longer rides? Hows that larger size hangin' for you?

Really curious about the ride compared to your other babies

Old 08-28-23, 07:08 PM
justcynn

Couldn't wait to get the new to me Circuit on the trail and she didn't disappoint. Quick clean, new rim tape, tubes, 25MM Gatorskins, and Red Bar tape that was sitting in the bin.
The verdict is this bike absolutely RIPS. Fastest time of the year on my typical 20 mile route bettering my other bike(s) best by .5 MPH, she had more to give - just need to keep working on the motor.

Last edited by justcynn; 08-28-23 at 07:12 PM.
Likes For justcynn:
Old 08-28-23, 08:56 PM
gstein

Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Did you get a chance to take the Circuit out for any longer rides? Hows that larger size hangin' for you?

Really curious about the ride compared to your other babies
Made a few adjustments before taking the Circuit out for a 20 mile ride today. I raised the stem about 0.75 inches and also moved the seat forward about 0.5-0.75 inches. Those two adjustments made a fairly significant difference, as I felt I was in a more relaxed, comfortable position with very little pressure on my hands.

The Circuit may be 3-4 cms too large for me but it is definitely a keeper. So incredibly smooth, just an all around enjoyable ride. Compared to the Premis and Super Sport, it is a noticeably nicer ride (and I really like riding both of those other bikes). Bike also feels faster than the Premis and SS, which isn’t too much of a surprise.
Likes For gstein:
Old 08-28-23, 08:57 PM
gstein

Couldn't wait to get the new to me Circuit on the trail and she didn't disappoint. Quick clean, new rim tape, tubes, 25MM Gatorskins, and Red Bar tape that was sitting in the bin.
The verdict is this bike absolutely RIPS. Fastest time of the year on my typical 20 mile route bettering my other bike(s) best by .5 MPH, she had more to give - just need to keep working on the motor.
That’s awesome.
Old 08-29-23, 10:34 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bike also feels faster than the Premis and SS, which isn’t too much of a surprise.
Is the Circuit actually faster? "Feels faster" can be misleading without data to verify.
Old 08-29-23, 10:54 AM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
I believe I've heard of this malady.

Likes For streetsurfer:
Old 08-29-23, 02:16 PM
Yune_Garage 

Bikes: Lugged Steel Single Speed Beater

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 86 Posts
Dammit. I stumbled across this thread just after posting an '86 Schwinn Super Sport for sale locally that I rescued (waiting on brake hoods). I might change my mind now haha.
Has anybody noticed how insanely random it is that the OP has not only found all these Schwinns in his size, in his local area, but that they all happen to be the mid to upper level COLUMBUS models?
They were definitely not as common as the lower end models that everyone and their uncle bought back in the day. Amazing!

Likes For Yune_Garage:
Old 08-29-23, 06:50 PM
gstein

Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
Is the Circuit actually faster? "Feels faster" can be misleading without data to verify.
I know, not exactly scientific but I’m more of the Grant Peterson mindset (just ride) and less concerned how much faster a bike might be. If it feels faster, than it’s more fun to ride and all is good!!

As a follow-up on the Super Sport, I finally got around to rewrapping the bars with the original white…I think it looks way better than the old, thick padded black tape that was one there.

Old 10-23-23, 07:46 PM
gstein

Another Circuit In The House

Saw another Circuit in my area that was all original but needed some TLC. Couldn’t resist, had to buy it.

Cleaned up, next up new bar tape.
Now have the ‘87 and ‘89…only fitting that I keep my eye open for the missing ‘88.

Last edited by gstein; 11-02-23 at 07:03 AM.
Likes For gstein:
Old 10-23-23, 08:36 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
I know, not exactly scientific but I’m more of the Grant Peterson mindset (just ride) and less concerned how much faster a bike might be. If it feels faster, than it’s more fun to ride and all is good!!

As a follow-up on the Super Sport, I finally got around to rewrapping the bars with the original white…I think it looks way better than the old, thick padded black tape that was one there.

My wife has one of those, it’s her fast bike!
Tim

Likes For tkamd73:
Old 10-25-23, 11:54 AM
PoorInRichfield

To possibly add to the OP's disease, someone local to me just posted three Schwinn road bikes for sale in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin, area on Facebook Marketplace. Note this isn't my FB ad, I'm just passing along in case one of you with the Schwinn-buying disease needs a fix.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8837821303741/

Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 10-27-23, 07:57 AM
IdahoBrett 

Bikes: Aluminum and Steel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 140 Posts
This thread has caused me to take a second, or rather multiple looks at a local to me 1980 LeTour for sale. I’ve made contact with the seller. No turning back now.

It’s an original owner bike and he still has the receipt and owners manual. Why does that excite me? Don’t know, it just does. He removed decals and did a bar end shifter conversion (I think. Should be stem?). It’s my favorite color and likely big enough for me. I’m hoping to “look” at it today. Thanks to all for the….inspiration…I think.

Likes For IdahoBrett:
Old 11-01-23, 07:15 PM
gstein

Really like the frame color on that Schwinn. I have an older steel Bridgestone with a very similar paint job.

And mine also has a rear rack and bar end shifters as well!

Last edited by gstein; 11-01-23 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-07-23, 08:33 AM
gstein

Updated photo of completed ‘87 black Circuit and ‘87 & ‘89 Circuits together.

Likes For gstein:
Old 11-15-23, 03:43 PM
Corp

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow these sure look pretty sharp. Im a sucker for old road Schwinn's myself. Beautiful bikes friend.