Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Thank god we aren't the full lycra kit wearing fools.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Thank god we aren't the full lycra kit wearing fools.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-23, 03:01 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
The head to toe lycra, carbon riding ones would probably beg to differ.
Speaking for my people, "nah, we're good."

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 11-06-23, 03:10 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Speaking for my people, "nah, we're good."
Ok, well Tx for that and as I iterated after the fact, this is my observation here in PDX.
Old 11-06-23, 03:23 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Merino and oldschool wool are two very different things on the bike, I have a bunch of nice merino and never leave home without it.

It can be amazing anytime, especially when really cold, when in between warm and cool and when raining with a rain jacket when its hard to manage cold, sweat and moisture.
Old 11-06-23, 03:38 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
I keep on hearing cyclists as a whole are arrogant. How so? Like baseball players?
Old 11-06-23, 04:27 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Merino and oldschool wool are two very different things on the bike, I have a bunch of nice merino and never leave home without it.

It can be amazing anytime, especially when really cold, when in between warm and cool and when raining with a rain jacket when its hard to manage cold, sweat and moisture.
I wish I could wear it. Love merino socks, but I've tried a couple of merino jerseys and ended up giving them away. Once I warm up, that itch factor is just too much.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 11-06-23, 04:38 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'm not in the mood for unfunny comics that "other" cyclists as if we're a subhuman class and fair game comparable to deer and other roadkill critters.

On my past two rides on very quite, lightly traveled roads, drivers went out of their way to pass within inches of my left side. Absolutely no reason for it. Other drivers had passed safely without that classic Texan passive/aggressive behavior.

On the second incident, the driver was pissed off because I barked "HEY!" and interrupted his smartphone reverie. He had stopped at an intersection at the top of a hill on my usual route. Didn't move for at least a minute as I was approaching. I had a hunch he'd start pulling forward just as I passed. Sure 'nuff, I could see his face buried in his phone. And sure 'nuff, he started inching forward just as I was crossing. I even veered into the opposite lane to avoid him. Young guy, looked like he nearly jumped out of his skin when he heard me.

You'd think that would be the end of it. But no.

That road has two lanes, both one way, with wide shoulders. Left hand entrance to the adjacent highway. I'm in the right shoulder. And he goes out of his way to veered into the shoulder and pass within inches of my left knee, before swerving right to the highway entrance.

I run video every ride now. Have done since 2017. The one time in years I didn't run video in 2018 was the day a driver ran a light and hit me. I'd forgotten to recharge the camera battery and decided to ride without it that day. Ended up costing me a fortune and years of legal delays, because the cop wrote it up as if I were 50% at fault for "failing to evade the oncoming vehicle." A completely bogus concept with no legal bearing. But after three years my attorney said the court of jurisdiction was so unsympathetic to cyclists and pedestrians that there was no point in asking for a trial. The settlement didn't even cover my medical expenses, let alone lost income, damage to the bike and permanent disability.

But even with video of these too-frequent incidents, cops won't do a damned thing unless they actually witness it. And even then they'll side with the offending drivers.

Yeah, Pearls Before Swine is approximately as hilarious as Nazi propaganda was. And I'll spare you the stories of my childhood memories of fellow congregation members in synagogue who had numbers tattooed on their forearms. I had to ask my mom what those numbers meant.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 11-06-23, 05:12 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Yeah, Pearls Before Swine is approximately as hilarious as Nazi propaganda was.
You must be a blast at parties.
Old 11-06-23, 05:28 PM
Maohaus

Bikes: Fuji, Colnago, Trek, Raleigh, Motobecane, Araya, Famolare, Elgin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 38 Posts
Canklecat, sorry for your misfortune, regardless of who was at fault. I have had four surgeries as a result of a cycling accident and my insurance refused to pay a cent because I was out of state. But, by the Grace of God, I was Blessed to have a full recovery.

Yes, there are plenty of bad drivers. But, as an avid cyclist who has been the proud member of many cycling clubs, there are legions of irresponsible cyclists out there. Many simply lack the proper understanding of good cycling etiquette and basic rules of the road. Many are just angry and mad at anyone in an automobile. (Road rage is not confined to just people behind the wheel). To make matters worse, there are far too many arrogant Lycra clad warriors who believe they can ride any way they wish on the road - simply because they are cyclists.

If cyclists would take the time to smile and interact with drivers and pedestrians in a respectful manner, perhaps attitudes would change. Meanwhile, it is healthy to laugh at ourselves!
Old 11-06-23, 05:41 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by Maohaus
Canklecat, sorry for your misfortune, regardless of who was at fault. I have had four surgeries as a result of a cycling accident and my insurance refused to pay a cent because I was out of state. But, by the Grace of God, I was Blessed to have a full recovery.

Yes, there are plenty of bad drivers. But, as an avid cyclist who has been the proud member of many cycling clubs, there are legions of irresponsible cyclists out there. Many simply lack the proper understanding of good cycling etiquette and basic rules of the road. Many are just angry and mad at anyone in an automobile. (Road rage is not confined to just people behind the wheel). To make matters worse, there are far too many arrogant Lycra clad warriors who believe they can ride any way they wish on the road - simply because they are cyclists.

If cyclists would take the time to smile and interact with drivers and pedestrians in a respectful manner, perhaps attitudes would change. Meanwhile, it is healthy to laugh at ourselves!
Again, there is that word arrogant. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

But to be clear, how are they riding on the road? And is it only those in lycra?
Old 11-06-23, 06:06 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,713 Times in 2,613 Posts
I’m missing the C&V angle here. Seems other fora would be more appropriate for what’s being discussed.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 11-06-23, 06:29 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
And is it only those in lycra?
Clearly you missed the MSDS fine print for lycra— wear with caution on roadways, triggering to drivers, may lead to deep resentment and/or murder.
Old 11-06-23, 06:43 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by bbbean
I wish I could wear it. Love merino socks, but I've tried a couple of merino jerseys and ended up giving them away. Once I warm up, that itch factor is just too much.
Well I wear a cotton teeshirt under/with the merino, maybe counterintuitive but the combo seems to work great for me and always just a teeshirt when its hot or warm enough to do so, always been that way.

I have a couple/few merino shirts that are no itch at all but still deploy the cotton as well.
Old 11-06-23, 07:21 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
I'm a drummer/vegan/cyclist. The jokes are endless. Some of them are even funny. I still like the "what's the difference between a drummer and a pizza..."
Old 11-06-23, 07:42 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Sedgemop
I'm a drummer/vegan/cyclist. The jokes are endless. Some of them are even funny. I still like the "what's the difference between a drummer and a pizza..."
I didn’t know the drummer pizza joke until I googled right now. That’s hilarious.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 11-06-23, 08:01 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 1,820 Times in 662 Posts
Originally Posted by purpurite
I was under the impression that comic strips were supposed to be funny. Or at least clever.
prince. Valiant. Had me in stitches this morning.
Old 11-06-23, 08:57 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz

A few years later, he was in a Healdsburg CA, Starbucks when this annoying cyclist in Lycra went click-clacking across the floor and "Jeff" was the name he gave loudly for the barista to write on the coffee cup.
"I'm going to make you famous," thought Stephan. "But I'm going to drop an "F" to make you lighter and more annoying."*

Anyway, here are some of the strips featuring Jef: https://www.gocomics.com/search/full...rlsbeforeswine
I wonder if he modified the actual history of the Jef the Cyclist character a bit??
It certainly appeared at the time when those first appeared that it was a reference to Jef Mallett, the creator of the Frazz comic strip. Frazz used to make a lot of references to cycling in the early days, and he still does to a lesser degree. Some were quite relatable...

and one of my absolute favorites...

It was in 2009 when Mallett responded to the "Jef the Cyclist" comics from Mr. Pastis...

and again in 2011... although this might not be aimed directly at Mr. Pastis...

but it culminated in 2012....

That's why I think the name "Jef" wasn't just a coincidence. I doubt that the character's actions are based on those of Mr. Mallett, though.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 11-06-23, 10:51 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
Love Pearls before Swine, best strip since Bill Watterson retired.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 11-07-23, 04:27 AM
Maohaus

Bikes: Fuji, Colnago, Trek, Raleigh, Motobecane, Araya, Famolare, Elgin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 38 Posts
iab, I find it very difficult to believe you don't understand what "arrogant" means. I suggest you look it up. You can do that online (not advised) or use something called a "dictionary". It is a book with a lot of words in it.

Iab, are you telling me that you have never ridden with Lycra-clad cyclists, with all of the finest equipment, riding carelessly, and/or, dangerously?

Iab, are you saying that you have never encountered a pack of Lycra-clad cyclists, with all of the finest equipment, while you are driving, who are riding in a manner that obstructs traffic, or in a manner that puts them and others on the road in danger?

iab, I know it may be hard for you, but you might try smiling. Maybe then, you will discover the humor in all of this, and maybe understand that the comics are meant to make us think, as well as laugh.
Likes For Maohaus:
Old 11-07-23, 07:49 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I'm not in the mood for unfunny comics that "other" cyclists as if we're a subhuman class and fair game comparable to deer and other roadkill critters.

On my past two rides on very quite, lightly traveled roads, drivers went out of their way to pass within inches of my left side. Absolutely no reason for it. Other drivers had passed safely without that classic Texan passive/aggressive behavior.

On the second incident, the driver was pissed off because I barked "HEY!" and interrupted his smartphone reverie. He had stopped at an intersection at the top of a hill on my usual route. Didn't move for at least a minute as I was approaching. I had a hunch he'd start pulling forward just as I passed. Sure 'nuff, I could see his face buried in his phone. And sure 'nuff, he started inching forward just as I was crossing. I even veered into the opposite lane to avoid him. Young guy, looked like he nearly jumped out of his skin when he heard me.

You'd think that would be the end of it. But no.

That road has two lanes, both one way, with wide shoulders. Left hand entrance to the adjacent highway. I'm in the right shoulder. And he goes out of his way to veered into the shoulder and pass within inches of my left knee, before swerving right to the highway entrance.

I run video every ride now. Have done since 2017. The one time in years I didn't run video in 2018 was the day a driver ran a light and hit me. I'd forgotten to recharge the camera battery and decided to ride without it that day. Ended up costing me a fortune and years of legal delays, because the cop wrote it up as if I were 50% at fault for "failing to evade the oncoming vehicle." A completely bogus concept with no legal bearing. But after three years my attorney said the court of jurisdiction was so unsympathetic to cyclists and pedestrians that there was no point in asking for a trial. The settlement didn't even cover my medical expenses, let alone lost income, damage to the bike and permanent disability.

But even with video of these too-frequent incidents, cops won't do a damned thing unless they actually witness it. And even then they'll side with the offending drivers.

Yeah, Pearls Before Swine is approximately as hilarious as Nazi propaganda was. And I'll spare you the stories of my childhood memories of fellow congregation members in synagogue who had numbers tattooed on their forearms. I had to ask my mom what those numbers meant.
These safety concerns are much more discussion worthy than clothing, kits, and comics.
We need bike paths in all cities to help prevent bike / car interactions.
I really try not to engage bad drivers and its difficult.
Im really sorry you have had such bad experiences and thanks for sharing, they help most of us be more aware for our own safety.
Likes For joesch:
Old 11-07-23, 08:02 AM
BMC_Kid 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
OK, my shorts tend to be, but I do like a good vintage wool jersey. And thank god we aren't like Jef*

Last Friday, I was walking through Powell's bookstore and there was a speech/signing going on. I don't want to say a reading because the book was a comic book by Stephan Pastis.

He had attempted to become a comic artist but after sending submissions to 12 different comic syndicates (now only 2) he was turned down by all. Mainly because his humor was dark and mentioned "death" way to often.

So, he went to law school. During boring court sessions he began doodling again, which no one complained because they thought he was taking legal notes.

Finally he decided to take one last stab and sent examples to United Syndicate, home of Peanuts which inspired him to begin with.

They said NO, but offered to try him out "on-line" on this new thing called the internet.

First week: 2000 visits
Second week: 2000 visits
third week: 150,000 visits. It was a hit.

A few years later, he was in a Healdsburg CA, Starbucks when this annoying cyclist in Lycra went click-clacking across the floor and "Jeff" was the name he gave loudly for the barista to write on the coffee cup.
"I'm going to make you famous," thought Stephan. "But I'm going to drop an "F" to make you lighter and more annoying."*

Anyway, here are some of the strips featuring Jef: https://www.gocomics.com/search/full...rlsbeforeswine
Meh, I read 6 of the strips and honestly didn't think much of them. I wish I could say I found them funny but not so much as a tee hee or haha.

Last edited by BMC_Kid; 11-07-23 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-07-23, 08:57 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Jokes based on prejudice don't have to be funny, which is lucky for that guy's comic strip.

I don't know why, but cyclists are the last group who can be ridiculed by the general public without fear of reproach, and cyclists in Lycra are the last group who can be ridiculed by other cyclists without fear of reproach.
A Southerner who has spent a lifetime tolerating the casual condescension and mockery doled out by our entertainment/infotainment industry towards people with accents like mine might disagree with you on that. Sweeping broad generalizations are like that. I don't look for nuance in a cartoon.

I'm not so sure the cartoonist in question is mocking ALL cyclists, but having been on club and event rides with overly entitled jerks - kinda like if university presidents took up cycling - I can understand the allure of people who make themselves easy targets. I remember our old cycling club's first president, who is a decent guy, talking about encounters with [a prominent cycling club in upstate SC] in the late 90s that would lead to him yelling, "Wave, damn you! Acknowledge other people's existence!" For myself, I have been surprised at how much more laid back my rides are when I adapted the good ol' boy trick of raising two fingers off the steering wheel when passing an oncoming vehicle into a lift of the left hand off the bar and a low, subtle but detectible wave.
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 11-07-23, 09:34 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Vehicular homicide. Hillarious.

Old 11-07-23, 09:37 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
God you guys are a bunch of sticks in the mud...
Likes For smd4:
Old 11-07-23, 10:12 AM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
God you guys are a bunch of sticks in the mud...
I have a sort of different mental picture, but ...
Old 11-07-23, 10:33 AM
cinelliguy 

Bikes: 57 ExpressWerke, 58 CinelliB, 62 CinelliB Altenberger, 70 Cinelli SC, 76 Masi, 77 Colin Laing, 78 Ritchey, 80 Jack Taylor, 82 Appel, 82 Davidson, 85 Ironman, 92? Andy Gilmour, 04 Peter Johnson, 91 Ed Litton, 11 Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 133 Posts
Ironic, actually unfortunate, we all love to ride bikes, sometimes with Wool, sometimes with Lycra, and sometimes in shorts and a T-Shirt, same sport but there is sometimes dislike and/or disrespect from within the ranks.

Nice...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.