Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Schwinn Worldsport questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-24, 05:19 PM
Jerry12302

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Schwinn Worldsport questions

I just bought a vintage 18 speed 27" Schwinn Worldsport.

I would like to know if these parts are original...
Super maxy cranks
Suntour V derailleur

Also, what is different from the Supersport vs. Worldsport, vs. a basic Schwinn.

There is a decal that says Cro Moly 4130 double butted main tubes. What does that refer to?

I attached some pics. Any idea what year this is?

Thanks.
Likes For Jerry12302:
Old 01-23-24, 09:43 PM
H2Rick

Bikes: 1981 Schwinn (Panasonic) Le Tour Tourist 10 speed, 1972? Hiawatha 10 Speed, 1981 Schwinn (Giant) World Tourist w/Shimano FF System, 1984 Miyata 710 (work in progress), 1985 Miyata 90 (mint condition but too small for me),1971 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Jerry: If you look at the top of the headstock/steerer tube you'll see two letters followed by 5 or 6 numbers. This is the serial number of that frame. The 2 letters will tell you the month and year that frame was built
Some pics would help identifying your bike better. Because you have less than 10 posts you can't attach pics to a post or insert them directly into a post. Go to the gallery and create an album under your user name. High res pics in lieu of fuzzy phone pics are greatly appreciated. 10 megapxels or higher res is great. Then board members can help with the questions you have. BTW 4130 is a grade of steel that the frame tubing is made from. Double butted refers to the fact that the 3 main frame tubes have heavier wall thickness at each end where they are welded in to lugs and a lighter wall thickness in the middle of the tube.

OK....a little more research shows that the WorldSport was introduced in 1979 as an "Approved" model, probably made in Japan by Panasonic. So, the serial number is probably on the bottom
of the bottom bearing bracket, although it might be on one of the rear droputs, too.

Some more research shows that those mid-80s World Sports were all 12 speeds. So someone has probably changed the the front cogs up to a 3 ring to make it into an 18 speed. As well, that Sun Tour V rear der is ancient like from the early 70s so that's been changed out, too. It seems that the World Sports were all equipped with Shimano group ders.

Last edited by H2Rick; 01-30-24 at 01:02 PM. Reason: More info
Old 01-24-24, 10:57 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
In the late 80s, you didn’t give us a time frame, the WorldSport was one of Schwinns middle of the road bikes, made in the Greenville plant in Mississippi, whilst the Supersport was one of Schwinns higher end model made by Panasonic in Japan. Basic Schwinns were built by Giant in Taiwan, or the China bicycle Co in China, the Chicago factory was shutdown by then.
This is what I recall from just finishing the, No Hands book, covering the history of Schwinn. Of course being old, my recall isn’t what it used to be, but I’m sure the knowledgeable collective here will corroborate, or correct me on my facts.
Tim
Old 01-24-24, 02:51 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,495 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerry12302
I just bought a vintage 18 speed 27" Schwinn Worldsport.

I would like to know if these parts are original...
Super maxy cranks
Suntour V derailleur THese are probably original parts and I believe the V derailleur dates the bike to the early '80 maybe late '70s

Also, what is different from the Supersport vs. Worldsport, vs. a basic Schwinn. the simplest explination I can think of is, a 'basic' Schwinn is a bike you ride around the cul de sac for funa dn with the kids. A World sport is a bike you ride if your going for longer rides or maybe a weekend trip. The Supersport is the biek you would want if want to go on a day long ride but need to do it fast and be home by noon.

There is a decal that says Cro Moly 4130 double butted main tubes. What does that refer to? It means the seattube, downtube and the toprube are made of Chro Moly steel, a fairly common good quality material for bikes. The rest of the frame and fork are made of lesser grad Chro Moly or perhaps a Maganese steel.

I attached some pics. Any idea what year this is? I'm trying to find your pics. Can you tell us more about the bike?

Thanks.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-24-24, 02:54 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,780 Times in 638 Posts
Based on description the OP's Worldsport is likely a early 80's model built in Asia fairly low end basic sports, about the lowest model sold in bike shops at the time. That has been upgraded changed some these would have had a fairly cheap basic 10 or 12 speed friction drive train OEM. As far as Schwinns go the Wolrdsports were a slight step above the basic 60's and 70's and well below the Supersports which were upper mid to high end models just a step or two below the Paramounts depending on year. As for narrowing down the year and quality of the bike it would help to know if the wheels are steel or allow rimmed.
Old 01-29-24, 05:57 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Hello Jerry12302,

welcome to the forum and thank-you for posting the information about your bicycle.

Your album is here: https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/574072

Picture assist:

Your World sport appears to be a 1987 model. The frame was made by Giant of Taiwan.

From my data the World Sport model was first made in Chicago and then made by Giant starting in 1978. The World Sport model was never manufactured in Japan.
Old 01-29-24, 06:50 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,780 Times in 638 Posts
Pretty sure it's a 85 based on the fork crown pretty old school 84/85 or older and the red gold graphics started 83 ended 87. 85-86 makes sense could be a 87 as said with a year before frame or fork pretty common for a bike to be made a year or two before it was sold and have parts up to 4-5 older doesn't effect value at all still pretty much a $100-150 bike in good order.

Last edited by zukahn1; 01-29-24 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-02-24, 08:43 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
here is the 1987 catalogue:

https://bikecatalogs.org/SCHWINN/198...rt_Sprint.html

Here is the 1984 catalogue:
https://bikecatalogs.org/SCHWINN/198...rld_Sport.html

Last edited by Hummer; 02-02-24 at 09:00 PM. Reason: More info