Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hints and tricks thread

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Hints and tricks thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-23, 02:54 PM
Leebob69

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 3.0, Trek 700 MultiTrack,Specialized Alibi,Benotto ?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 51 Posts
I picked up a used bike a few weeks ago. The back V brake boot was cracked and looking tired. Dug out my box of assorted shrink fit tubing. Pulled the old boot. Cut a piece of tubing and slid it over the cracked portion of the boot. Then slide it back over the cable and used a lighter to shrink it up. One day I'll buy a heat gun but somehow I've survived without one.
Here are a couple pics

Sorry if this has been posted before. So many tips here. I've barely made a dent in reading them.
Old 11-20-23, 03:31 PM
MTBthePNW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whoa!

Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops
Another tip: if you find yourself cycling in some place in Africa, Indonesia etc. temporarily without access to good lubricants for your bike components, be it chain or bearings, you can use coconut oil. It will work fine for all the components that need lubing (usually it's the chain to cause these emergencies) and it's impervious to peroxidation. (in fact, coconut oil, virgin or refined, has the lowest peroxidation index of all organic non-mineral oils). In other words, it won't get rancid for a very long time.

It's less than ideal in very cold climates, but in the above example that's not a problem.
Wait a minute, so there's coconuts in Africa?! (Lol)
Old 11-20-23, 03:43 PM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MTBthePNW
Wait a minute, so there's coconuts in Africa?! (Lol)
Yes, plenty, all over the African continent. Albeit not a major producer, coconuts in Africa are ubiquitous.
Likes For wroomwroomoops:
Old 01-26-24, 03:12 PM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops
Yes, plenty, all over the African continent. Albeit not a major producer, coconuts in Africa are ubiquitous.
This reminds me of the scene in Waynes World with Alice Cooper’s history lesson….lol

Old 01-28-24, 05:48 PM
Slohan47
Still-Movin!

Bikes: '67Schwinn, 72 Schwinn, 81 schwinn

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Would this "Fix":... a little bit of lithium grease on the strategic places...be good with other vehicle sealing locations like door seals and such ?

Last edited by Slohan47; 01-28-24 at 05:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-04-24, 05:16 PM
DVerbeck

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noisy V-brakes

A tip I learned today...

Bike: 2023 Specialized Sirrus 1.0 with V-brakes

Problem: My front brake, when applied, has always been noisy. It would make a "shhhhhhh", hissing noise. I tried all of the suggestions for squeaky brakes to no avail. Then I found a technical diagram (sorry I’m a newb and apparently cannot send a link) on the Kool-Stop web site which shows a 90 deg angle between the brake pad and the rim. My angle was more like 110 deg.

Solution: To get the angle down to 90 deg, I would have to shorten the bushing that lies next to the pad. Fortunately, there is a quick fix: simply swap the two bushings. Now the thin bushing goes next to the pad and the thick bushing now goes up beneath the washer. I did this and my angle went down exactly to 90 deg. Now my brake is blissfully silent.
Old 02-16-24, 11:30 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
Any time you replace a part on anything, hold the old and new parts side by side to verify. What's the same? What's different? What happened to the old part?
Old 02-16-24, 12:09 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
STI's get lazy sometimes. If you are riding and are trying to shift up to the big gear in front but the lever doesn't want to fully pull the cable, you can reach down and just pull the cable to complete the shift.
Old 04-20-24, 06:46 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Not sure if I posted this before, but I used it this afternoon and it worked so well!

When fitting a new cable on a rear derailleur, first use your hands to push the RD and turn the crank to force the chain onto the 2nd smallest cog -- while the shifter thinks the cable is let out all the way for the smallest cog.

Pull the cable taut with pliers with one hand while tightening the pinch bolt with the other hand.

The pliers will not have been able to pull the cable fully taut, it will have about 1 gear of play.

Spin the cranks and the chain will drop into the small cog, and odds are the shifter will be shifting well across all gears (I didn't even need any barrel adjuster at all today, with a 9sp RD)
Old 04-21-24, 08:52 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Not sure if I posted this before, but I used it this afternoon and it worked so well!

When fitting a new cable on a rear derailleur, first use your hands to push the RD and turn the crank to force the chain onto the 2nd smallest cog -- while the shifter thinks the cable is let out all the way for the smallest cog.

Pull the cable taut with pliers with one hand while tightening the pinch bolt with the other hand.

The pliers will not have been able to pull the cable fully taut, it will have about 1 gear of play.

Spin the cranks and the chain will drop into the small cog, and odds are the shifter will be shifting well across all gears (I didn't even need any barrel adjuster at all today, with a 9sp RD)
With 10sp Dynasys/XT Shimano made it so that when on the smallest cog the cable was a lot looser than you'd normally have it. If you pulled it taut it was already too tight. It makes it really easy to get the tension right just by hand feel. You'd think it was too loose but then you'd shift once and it would go to the next cog, and with any luck at all it would shift perfectly through the 10.
Likes For zacster: