Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Unexpected mechanical malfunction - feel free to share yours

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-24, 12:33 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts

My saddle began shifting around on me, out of the blue about four weeks back.
I tightened the bolt roughly a couple foot pounds of torque, which worked for a number of rides.
Then it suddenly did it again, midride, and - out of pure laziness - got me doing my same fixit.
The final time made me disassemble the Campagnolo CF Record clamp area.
My inspection showed tiny dust particles on the corrugated clamping interface.
Ran a wire brush throughout and even cleaned the Fizik's saddle rails for good measure.
Applied a small bit of grease on the bolt threads and reinstalled. Everything held firmly now!
Evidently, over the years, it resulted by moving/tilting my seat each time my brother borrowed my bike.
Never thought it possible!

After brushing the dust away...

Last edited by roadcrankr; 03-24-24 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-24-24, 05:56 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Saddles, posts, stems and bars should be checked annually and loosened then retightened periodically to prevent this (and worse results from neglect like frozen stems and posts). Andy
Old 03-24-24, 07:19 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Had a failure of a Di2 battery. Would charge ok, then lose charge overnight. Replaced the battery, it was 6 years old, same issue. Took to a LBS they said shifter (1x system) was bad. It would shift but showed an issue in the shop test software. I sourced a replacement XT Di2 shifter from Jenson for $90. I was still able to ride while I awaited the new shifter as I simply unplugged the shifter cable after use, saved the battery,
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 03-24-24, 07:40 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Just riding along minding my own business and I thought someone shot a 22 near me. The bead on this Pasela just went to hell. I called my wife, she picked me up and I took out another bike to finish my miles.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 03-25-24, 07:19 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I went on a ride the other week and was noticing the shifting was off with my Chorus 10 setup, which had always been perfect and reliable in the past. Then it occurred to me that I found a little piece on my trainer mat that I'd just set aside thinking it came off the trainer. It turns out it came off the dropout of the frame and provided a solid place where the wheel met the frame. Without it the derailleur was no longer in the proper place and made the shifting really sloppy. I tried super gluing it back on, and the next ride was good as once I'd clamped the wheel on again it was held by the QR. But when I put the bike back on the trainer the piece fell off again. I did the trainer ride with it off and it too had sloppy shifting. After a second ride though I used epoxy to glue it back on and it has held. The next trainer ride was perfect too. At no time did I try to adjust the cable tension because once I realized the piece was the problem I knew I'd only have to adjust it again. It wasn't unrideable but just sloppy and annoying.
Likes For zacster:
Old 03-25-24, 07:55 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Just riding along minding my own business and I thought someone shot a 22 near me. The bead on this Pasela just went to hell. I called my wife, she picked me up and I took out another bike to finish my miles.
I was riding the other day with an old friend on his vintage bike with rotten 27" tires, 60 psi. One blew out in the tread, about a 1" tear, also sounded like a shot. I showed him the dollar bill booting trick and that got us home with 30 psi. Even his spare tube looked rotten, probably 30 years old.
Old 03-25-24, 08:00 AM
andrewclaus

Riding with my wife yesterday, her front shifter cable housing failed dramatically--the cable pulled out of a 4" section of housing. The low limit screw on the FD was long enough to keep her in the middle chain ring, where she does 99% of her riding, so we finished the ride fine. We just happened to have a strong tailwind and she shifted into the big ring for the first time in years. Gonna replace all the cables and housings today.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 03-25-24, 09:42 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
Had a pawl in my wheel break a tab and turn it into a fixed gear. No fun when you are in the middle of rolling hills.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 03-25-24, 09:44 AM
ivangobike

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Riding with my wife yesterday, her front shifter cable housing failed dramatically--the cable pulled out of a 4" section of housing. The low limit screw on the FD was long enough to keep her in the middle chain ring, where she does 99% of her riding, so we finished the ride fine. We just happened to have a strong tailwind and she shifted into the big ring for the first time in years. Gonna replace all the cables and housings today.
I had the same thing happen to me on an '08 Adventure 4 while commuting through town, but it was to my rear gear line housing. Immediately headed to the LBS and had all the gear housing replaced, it being a 24speed set-up I was able to set it to ~6th for going uphill and then loosen the screw for 8th to go flat and downhill.

On the same bike I had 2 flats, once on basic thorns, after which I walked to the LBS that I was heading to and got Michelin tires. Year or so after that I hit a chunk of glass that tore a ~1cm hole in the rear Michelin tire, got another of the same tire as at that point it was mostly due to being worn down.

I also wiped out once on that bike by grazing the asphalt with a pedal in a sharp turn. Turned the bar 90° and flew over, with nothing but scratched wrists.

On my current bike, a converted Bazooka Navigator, I broke 7 spokes by dropping my 10speed chain over 1st gear while coming to a red light. All at once. Despite having built the wheel myself to match the front wheel, I decided to replace it instead of repair it. I've had a couple flats with my marathons on this bike, but I carry spare tubes and a spare tire, so I'm always able to recover rapidly.

Last edited by ivangobike; 03-25-24 at 02:40 PM.
Likes For ivangobike:
Old 03-25-24, 11:00 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Usually for me it is rider malfunction! Not tightening the stem or handlebar or brake levers or pillar enough after servicing and before a ride.

There was a malfunction of a 7200 FD while on a ride where it would not shift into the large ring. I don't remember the details as it was too long ago. I think it had to do with the little fiber part that the limit screws go through. Some how I fixed it and I haven't had a problem with it since, especially with it being in a box as a result of converting to Campagnolo drive train.

Flats don't count in my book, except when a valve fails.

Then there are car driver malfunctions resulting in bodily harm to me.
Old 03-25-24, 11:01 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Saddles, posts, stems and bars should be checked annually and loosened then retightened periodically to prevent this (and worse results from neglect like frozen stems and posts). Andy
Definitely. I enjoy performing bike maintenance, down to hubs, headsets, chains, bottom bracketts, etc.
Never dreamed of any sort of issue arising on the saddle rail clamps. Bizarre problem for me! lol
Old 03-25-24, 11:04 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
I was riding the other day with an old friend on his vintage bike with rotten 27" tires, 60 psi. One blew out in the tread, about a 1" tear, also sounded like a shot. I showed him the dollar bill booting trick and that got us home with 30 psi. Even his spare tube looked rotten, probably 30 years old.
Hopefully he returned your dollar bill! I "loaned" a friend a ten-spot, once, and pestered him to pay me back!
Old 03-25-24, 01:22 PM
andrewclaus

Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Hopefully he returned your dollar bill! I "loaned" a friend a ten-spot, once, and pestered him to pay me back!
LIke any good friend, I used his dollar bill!

I told him if he can bring both serial numbers into a bank, they'll replace the bill. Or at least they did that twenty years ago. That was the last time I used a bill boot, and I only had a 20 with me.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 03-25-24, 05:45 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Just last week I somehow had the right clipless pedal come off the spindle when the left hand threaded nut loosened. I have no idea how that could have happened. The pedal was spinning freely and the left hand nut shouldn’t have come loose. Luckily I was near home and it was an easy fix.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-25-24, 09:11 PM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
One time as a teen I busted a low flange campy record hub going off a curb....
Not my proudest moment

I remember that one time I used an air compressor and blew out the sidewall and tube.

More recently I put on some ancient tires on my dirt jump bike. On the 2nd day I noticed the tire had a good slit on the sidewall. Decided to head home. Only a mile or so away I heard a "phwack, phwack" sound and it was a lovely tube hitting the front fork. sigh.
Likes For slow rollin:
Old 03-25-24, 11:12 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Cassette Lock Ring Fail

I ride an 11-speed Prestacycle cassette which comes with a lock ring that does not have a crush spacer. About a year ago, during a long and fast (for me) descent, my crank locked up and I could neither pedal nor backpedal. I thought I was going to crash, but luckily the rear wheel could still spin relative to the freehub, and I managed to unclip and stop. Turns out the lock ring had worked itself loose and got wedged against a bolt securing the RD hanger to frame, locking up the freehub against that bolt. Replaced that lock ring with a Shimano Ultegra one and problem has never come back.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 03-25-24, 11:36 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
At mile 45 of a 70 mile gravel race last year, hitting one of the descents with some speed, my rear wheel suddenly locks up while trying to pedal. I come to a stop, to find that the rear derailleur hanger bolt had backed out and wedged itself between the cassette lock ring and the spacer. I admit that it was the 1 bolt that I didn't do a pre-race check on.

Anyway, I tighten that back up and make it about 1/2 mile before my shifting goes to crap. My first thought is that the hanger is bent...but it's not, come to find out that the cassette lockring must have been loosened by the hanger bolt and then backed completely off in the ensuing half mile. Since a lock ring tool isn't something I'm going to carry in my seat bag, I "fixed" it with a slotted screwdriver and the application of a rock. It worked and I continued on to the finish.
Likes For Sierra_rider: