Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Low profile helmets

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Low profile helmets

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-11, 09:14 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Low profile helmets

Does anyone know of a low-profile helmet? My helmet looks like a giant mushroom on my head...would like to find something that doesn't look like the Great Gazoo. I'm also not a big fan of the swooshy, duck-tail things on the back. I really like the Limar Ultralight helmets Team Type 1 was wearing in the ToCali...but those are a bit out of my price range. They looked a lot less bulky and more close-fitting than other helmets. Any suggestions?
Old 05-22-11, 09:24 PM
BotByte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you hit the road at 30 mph, I think that ugly thing on your head might save your life.

IMO, If you're not going to see it, avoid mirrors as long as possible and save your life.

I've tried out different helmets, from some that look smaller to huge ones, they don't make a difference and still make your head look lopsided and odd.

Just deal with it and stay alive.
Old 05-22-11, 09:26 PM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BotByte
If you hit the road at 30 mph, I think that ugly thing on your head might save your life.
what? you do know all helmets have to pass the same testing protocols. a low profile helmet is just as save.
Old 05-22-11, 09:35 PM
pgjackson

I used to ride a motorcycle and some DOT approved helmets were simply huge on your head and some were a lot less bulky. There is a huge market for low-profile, DOT approved motorcycle helmets.
Old 05-22-11, 09:40 PM
BotByte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a difference between bicycles and motorcycles

I ride motorcycles too, and I got the best helmet I could find to protect my brain.

A motorcycle helmet protects as the shell and soft foam stops the outside to come into your brain. It works like a pseudo-skull, protects the thing inside and can be used again

A bicycle helmet stops by crushing hard foam and the outside layer of plastic helps by skidding across without gripping the road. Works like a disposable skull, only to be used for one bad situation and only one hit.
Old 05-22-11, 09:44 PM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I ride motorcycles too, and I got the best helmet I could find to protect my brain.

A motorcycle helmet protects as the shell and soft foam stops the outside to come into your brain. It works like a pseudo-skull, protects the thing inside and can be used again

A bicycle helmet stops by crushing hard foam and the outside layer of plastic helps by skidding across without gripping the road. Works like a disposable skull, only to be used for one bad situation and only one hit.
thank you for the lesson, but your still wrong when saying your current helmet is safer than a low profile helmet.
Old 05-22-11, 09:50 PM
danvuquoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Completely incorrect, sorry -- your motorcycle helmet is not meant to be used again if the foam inside is crushed. They use the exact same foam for both your motorcycle helmet and your bicycle helmet. They both use polycarbonate foam. The additional padding you have inside of your motorcycle helmet is merely for comfort you have the same thing in your helmet just less of it, this padding is not for protection. Beyond the padding is a layer of the foam used to protect from impacts. Both helmets came from the same technology and even the same company -- Bell.

Last edited by danvuquoc; 05-22-11 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-22-11, 09:51 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
Does anyone know of a low-profile helmet? My helmet looks like a giant mushroom on my head...would like to find something that doesn't look like the Great Gazoo. I'm also not a big fan of the swooshy, duck-tail things on the back. I really like the Limar Ultralight helmets Team Type 1 was wearing in the ToCali...but those are a bit out of my price range. They looked a lot less bulky and more close-fitting than other helmets. Any suggestions?
What are you wearing now and define your price range.
Old 05-22-11, 09:58 PM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
What are you wearing now and define your price range.
I am currently wearing a $19 Bell...I think it's actually a MTB helmet that has the visor removed. Price range I'm looking at is around $50.
Old 05-22-11, 10:01 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
I was going to recommend the Specialized Propero helmet, but it's about $60.
Old 05-22-11, 10:26 PM
echotraveler

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OP Id say you just need to get over your perseption. I didnt like helmets at all! My wife told me, "if you wanna ride, GOOD, but your daughter needs you alive!! Wear a helmet!!". So i did, not liking it. Once you ride enough you forget about any preconsived notions. Once this happens youll be able to pick a helmet that "looks nice".

Not that i care much about it, but most times not using industry standards singles you out badly, be practical within your budget. Theres options
Old 05-22-11, 10:34 PM
Nerull

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am currently wearing a $19 Bell...I think it's actually a MTB helmet that has the visor removed. Price range I'm looking at is around $50.
Almost any other helmet is going to be lower profile than the cheapo Bells. Even the Giro and Bell helmets in the $40 price range are much better at not making you look like a mushroom and the adjustable fit strap systems are much, much better at keeping the helmet on your head than the barely adjustable ones in the cheapest line of Bell helmets. Given this, I'd say that a better helmet is likely to be safer, not less so, simply because it's more likely to stay put.
Old 05-22-11, 11:05 PM
pgjackson

Originally Posted by echotraveler
OP Id say you just need to get over your perseption. I didnt like helmets at all! My wife told me, "if you wanna ride, GOOD, but your daughter needs you alive!! Wear a helmet!!". So i did, not liking it. Once you ride enough you forget about any preconsived notions. Once this happens youll be able to pick a helmet that "looks nice".

Not that i care much about it, but most times not using industry standards singles you out badly, be practical within your budget. Theres options
All I'm looking for is a helmet that isn't so bulky. I'm not looking for a "beanie" helmet (which I did wear for a while on the motorcycle...until I realized that it was pretty dumb to do so). But even with motorcycles, there are helmets that are much less bulky yet still meet industry DOT standards. The Limar Ultralight helmet would be perfect...but it's about $150. So I know there are low-profile helmets out there that meet whatever bicycle standards there are (if there are any).

Last edited by pgjackson; 05-22-11 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-23-11, 01:13 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Why not get an aero helmet?
Old 05-23-11, 03:16 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I use a "Catlike" helmet which is not very bulky.
Old 05-23-11, 04:26 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
All else being equal, a bulkier helmet is going to be more effective at absorbing impacts simply because the thickness of the helmet is all the room there is to provide a slower deceleration than your skull hitting the ground.

However, the worst brain injuries cyclists generally suffer are from the brain rotating inside the skull, something the bulk of a helmet actually makes it easier to cause.

That's why I don't wear one, aside from reserving the right to judge my own risks for myself. Also, mandatory helmet laws encourage the bogus idea that cycling is dangerous, discouraging cycle use and making cycling less safe for everyone because one of the best ways to make it safer is to get more people on bikes.
https://www.camdencyclists.org.uk/inf...um/hillman1991
Old 05-23-11, 04:46 AM
rmr1923

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All I'm looking for is a helmet that isn't so bulky. I'm not looking for a "beanie" helmet (which I did wear for a while on the motorcycle...until I realized that it was pretty dumb to do so). But even with motorcycles, there are helmets that are much less bulky yet still meet industry DOT standards. The Limar Ultralight helmet would be perfect...but it's about $150. So I know there are low-profile helmets out there that meet whatever bicycle standards there are (if there are any).
if you're willing to extend your price range a bit, check some of these out (there are even some for under $50 btw):

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/SubCate..._202331_202364
Old 05-23-11, 04:56 AM
TheBand
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 05-23-11, 06:21 AM
ladyraestewart

Bikes: Trek Lexi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsutkeepspining
what? you do know all helmets have to pass the same testing protocols. a low profile helmet is just as save.
I read that in a couple of places when I was doing some research -- the $20 helmet protects the same as he $100 helmet it's just a matter of style. Anyway, regardless of what anyone else believes, I firmly believe my $20 helmet saved my head and possibly life when I was hit.
Old 05-23-11, 06:33 AM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jsutkeepspining
The fact that they all have to pass the same minimum standards does not necessarily mean they all protect the same. That's like saying that everyone who meets the minimum standards to graduate high school is equally qualified to continue studies at Harvard.
Old 05-23-11, 06:33 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
The more expensive the helmet, the lighter and more ventilated it will be and still pass safety regulations. The regulations just specify a minimum; a full face downhill helmet will offer better protection than an ultralight road helmet but who the heck is going to wear one on their road bike.

I had an old Bell helmet and once I tried on a Giro Atmos, I could no longer wear that Bell helmet. The cost of that Atmos has been amortized to almost nothing per ride so it really wasn't expensive.
Old 05-23-11, 07:45 AM
echotraveler

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK *SLAP* Just buy the damn $150 helmet!! Stop it! Fathers day is near tell your family! Make up anexcuse and just do it!! Use the bell until you have enough. You wont be jappy until you get that limar! feeling good makes your average speed go up! Better than new wheels, coNfidence!
Old 05-23-11, 08:23 AM
Val23708

Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ladyraestewart
the $20 helmet protects the same as he $100 helmet it's just a matter of style.
and comfort. more expensive helmets have the same protection but less weight and more ventilation.
Old 05-23-11, 09:11 AM
BiggSlic
Slow but determined

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I had a $100 Bell Array that saved my life yesterday when my head and shoulder hit the pavement doing 51 mph. My noggin is a little sore at the point of impact but I am amazed at how well this helmet performed. I'll be buying another one just like it tomorrow once I feel like getting out.
Old 05-23-11, 09:12 AM
M_FactorX19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echotraveler
OK *SLAP* Just buy the damn $150 helmet!! Stop it! Fathers day is near tell your family! Make up anexcuse and just do it!! Use the bell until you have enough. You wont be jappy until you get that limar! feeling good makes your average speed go up! Better than new wheels, coNfidence!
this! the only down side is once you buy a nice helmet you will not want to go back. i have an Atmos and really like it.

keep an eye out on bonktown they have decent helmets for a good price every once in a while.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.