Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

DIY (or purchased) Fully Enclosed Chaincase Recommendations

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-15, 08:10 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts

For the past year I've been riding fixed gear almost exclusively, especially for commuting. It's fun and the bike is very low maintenance. Except for yearly bearing overhaul the only thing I have to maintain is the chain. But riding ~200 miles per week the chain gets dirty very quickly, especially in Wisconsin's nasty winters, and I've already grown tired or cleaning and lubing it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a fully enclosed chaincase that would effectively make my bike maintenance free? It could be DIY or purchased, I'm fine with spending money on it. My concerns are:

- Weight
- Robustness, meaning I don't want it flopping around, rattling, or breaking.
- Rear wheel removal when I get a flat
- Effectiveness at sealing out the elements
Old 03-26-15, 09:55 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Any dealer in your area that sells Dutch-type utility bikes? These often have a fully enclosed chain and could be a prototype for a DIY project or might be available as an aftermarket part. A Google search for "Bicycle chain Enclosures" got a few hits and some ideas including this BF thread from 2007: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-me...enclosure.html
Old 03-26-15, 10:07 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Hebie chainglider .. its low friction Plastic , German commuter bike stuff , for Shimano and of course Rohloff IGH ..

Chainguard CHAINGLIDER 350 - Hebie. Since 1868 made in Bielefeld, Germany.

Downside of the material chosen for low friction And for light Weight, is that sub zero it may get Brittle ..
Old 03-26-15, 01:13 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Yellow Jersey (formerly of Madison, now in Arlington just outside of Madison) often has chain cases (scroll down):

Spares and Accessories for Roadster Bicycles at Yellow Jersey Westwood Rims is another keyword!
Old 03-26-15, 01:57 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Jake, are you using a front fender with a mudflap? Once I added a mudflap to my front fender that extends to about 1.5" from the ground, it made a huge difference in the amount of crap that got thrown into the drivetrain from the front wheel. I've thought about adding some kind of chainguard to my fixed-gear, but with the front fender being so effective, I may just go for a minimal one over the top run of chain.

People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-26-15, 02:54 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Yes, I do have full fenders and a long mudflap on the front. The front fender is very effective but what seems to happen in wet conditions is that some of the spray bounces off the rear fender and gets re-sprayed all over the chain area. This happens to a lesser extent on the front, the victim there is the fork and occasionally my shoes.

I'm also considering some sort of half-butted solution like a chain guard since everything I've read about full chaincases make them seem like a major hassle. I posted this thread hoping for an easy answer: "do this!" But I don't think there is one. I'm open to ideas since any step in the right direction will reduce my chain-cleaning frequency.
Old 03-26-15, 02:58 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Yellow Jersey (formerly of Madison, now in Arlington just outside of Madison) often has chain cases
Thanks John. Yellow Jersey is my favorite bike shop and one of the only ones I frequent anymore. I saw those on their site but the metal ones like that look like awful rattle-traps. One of the things I like so much about fixed gear is the smooth, rattle-free operation. I may ask Mr. Muzi about them anyway the next time I go up there.
Old 03-26-15, 03:05 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Yellow Jersey (formerly of Madison, now in Arlington just outside of Madison) often has chain cases (scroll down):

Spares and Accessories for Roadster Bicycles at Yellow Jersey Westwood Rims is another keyword!

top 2 those closed on the back side as well? or just keep your pants and dresses out from the outside..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-26-15 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-26-15, 03:27 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake
I'm also considering some sort of half-butted solution like a chain guard since everything I've read about full chaincases make them seem like a major hassle. ....
FYI

I had the same thought this weekend, and after some thought decided that DIY for the full enclosure would be too unweildy. I have a standard road double and 8-speed cassette, which is quite a bit to enclose.

So I settled on trying the simplest form, although half-assed as you mention. A cover for just the front half of the double ring. It actually worked really well, unobstrusive, good protection, until the flaw presented itself. One which I can't really fix on that particular design. An upshift, probably slight overshift, bumped the cover out just enough for the crank arm or my foot to catch the lip of the cover and peel it forward. Because of that possibility the cover can't stop at the DR cage - it has to extend around it and back. Even if you get everything with perfect tolerances, the chance of a cuff catching in that gap would be catastrophic. I guess that's why they're all designed that way. But that's a lot easier to implement with a single ring than a double or triple. I'm still mulling over whether it's worthwhile to even attempt.
Old 03-26-15, 04:35 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Originally Posted by wphamilton
FYI

I had the same thought this weekend, and after some thought decided that DIY for the full enclosure would be too unweildy. I have a standard road double and 8-speed cassette, which is quite a bit to enclose.

So I settled on trying the simplest form, although half-assed as you mention. A cover for just the front half of the double ring. It actually worked really well, unobstrusive, good protection, until the flaw presented itself. One which I can't really fix on that particular design. An upshift, probably slight overshift, bumped the cover out just enough for the crank arm or my foot to catch the lip of the cover and peel it forward. Because of that possibility the cover can't stop at the DR cage - it has to extend around it and back. Even if you get everything with perfect tolerances, the chance of a cuff catching in that gap would be catastrophic. I guess that's why they're all designed that way. But that's a lot easier to implement with a single ring than a double or triple. I'm still mulling over whether it's worthwhile to even attempt.
I would never attempt a chain case on a geared bike, but with my fixed gear I thought it might be worth a shot.
Old 03-26-15, 11:40 PM
md11mx

Bikes: Devinci Oslo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Why not? Fabrication is ART? WE CAN DO IT!!!!!
Cheers,
David in Alaska
Old 03-27-15, 03:01 PM
Batavus

Bikes: Wabi Lightning, fixed 13.6 pounds. Cera steel road bike Campy veloce 9s

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Of all the chaincases available, these are the absolute worst you can choose. A pain to set up and the slightest rub will be amplified by the metal resonance-box.

The Hebie chainglider would be my choice. Lightweight, smooth (though not completely silent) , cheap. It does require you use certain chainring and cog sizes, 42/38 and 16-19, I believe. and only with a 3/32 " chain. 1/8 " will not work.

With the chainglider you can't see the chain and the noise does not increase with a chain that has gone more slack, so if your not into regular maintenance ( like tensioning the chain), you're not going to notice this until the chain falls off.
Old 03-27-15, 04:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Go for DIY ... A Router Bit cutting into Wood can make a 2 piece Mold, So you can fabricate one out of Fiberglas and Epoxy.

BTW as to above I like 3/32" Full bushing Chains , better than the same width in a Derailleur Chain wear longer
and the taller side plates keep it from falling off.

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-27-15 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-28-15, 06:48 PM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
For a one-off, can you create a polystyrene mold? You won't achieve the pressure but it is not structural.
By mkIII or IV, you should have the correct shape.
You can buy modern plastic Dutch ones
Old 03-28-15, 07:30 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
For a one-off it seems like 3d printing would be the simplest solution. No messing with molds, just CAD it up and push make.
Old 03-28-15, 07:33 PM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
just CAD it up
is the hard part. When I am fabricating bits, I often don't have a full plan until I have prototyped in the workshop. CAD is illustrating what you have designed.
Old 05-23-18, 07:34 PM
Maddy Lighter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not? Fabrication is ART?
Old 08-12-22, 02:09 PM
Axeman88

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I know this is a very old thread, but I thought I'd share a couple of sources for full chainguards, in Europe where such things are much more ordinary:

- https://www.dutchbikebits.com/chainguards
- https://oldnewbikes.com/en/24-cubrecadenas