Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Recent OEM Formula hubs on Kona bikes.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-24, 03:41 PM
JWK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, GT Grade alloy, Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

Does anyone know what the hubs are like on the recent Formula hubs that come stock on Kona bikes? I'm talking about the thru axle sets 12x142mm and 12x100mm, that come on bikes like the Sutra, Rove, Libre, etc.

I'm looking at a 2022 Sutra and cannot find anything about these hubs, even whether they are cup & cone or sealed bearings. Whether they are junk, mediocre, etc.

Anyone have any info? Thanks.
Old 03-10-24, 05:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Like all Formula hubs they are mediocre, usually if you see them they are fine enough but potentially other components might be near the same level. I don't recall if they are cup and cone or sealed bearing though and unfortunately don't have any bikes to check anymore but Formula is never a great hub but usually not total crap either. I wouldn't buy a bike or not buy a bike due to the hubs generally drivetrain, brakes, frame and fork yes but hubs usually not but generally if you get the right other components the hubs are decent enough.
Old 03-10-24, 06:34 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
+1

I consider Formula to be dressed up components intended for OEMs to present a "better" spec without spending to do so.

Not saying they're crap, since OEMs couldn't accept that on a mid level bike they expect folks to actually ride. But, I wouldn't buy them as a replacement or upgrade on a bike I own.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 03-10-24, 08:08 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Can't speak to those exact ones since formula makes a variety and companies don't seem to list the exact hub part numbers. The recent ones I've gotten on an 1800.00 cannondale were cup and cone and fairly chunky and heavy. They spin ok though they did need some slight adjustment fairly quickly compared to other hubs. They were boost hubs so thru axle and probably about the same level as what you're looking at.
Old 03-11-24, 05:07 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
I suspect that the bearings, regardless of the design, have a "seal" between the rolling elements and the wild outside.

Even low grade cup and cone bearings can last a long time, IF the rider takes more care to clean and lube them before their internal condition suffers from washed out and/or contaminated lube. But since most don't do this... Andy
Old 03-11-24, 05:21 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Don't overthink this. I gather you're shopping the bike vs. just the wheels. In that case, assume the wheels are roughly comparable to the frame and other components.

Consider that wheels generally get replaced/rebuilt a few times over the life of a bike that's well used. So, focus on the commonality of the dropouts, brake mounts and other critical points on the frame. Then, if all checks out, go ahead with the expectation that the hubs will outlast the wheel, and that you may upgrade if/when the need arises in a year or two (or more).

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.