Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tube/Tire Changing Issues

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-24, 10:46 AM
gpolly1

Bikes: '12 Specialized Hardrock, '89 Schwinn Cruiser Supreme

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm embarrassed to say this, but I'm having problems changing my 700x38c tubes and tires on my 29'' rims. The tires are folding tires, but for some reason, both tires and tubes seem too big. The tires bead keeps coming out of the rims and the tubes want to bunch up in the tire. I'm just wondering if I'm missing a trick to getting them on. It doesn't seem to have been a problem for me before. Maybe it's more difficult changing a folding tire?
Old 02-20-24, 11:33 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
After you get the first side if the tire on the rim and have the tube installed with it's valve stem in the hole of the rim, then inflate the tube just barely enough to almost round it out. Then it might keep the tire from being too floppy and hold it's first bead somewhat centered all around on the rim. But at some point while getting the second sides bead on the rim, you might need to let all the air out.

I've had similar issues even with 23 and 25 mm wide folding tires that are brand new. They just seem like they aren't going to fit properly. But they do, and after they get inflated to their normal operating pressure and are ridden for a time, they seem to take their proper form for the next time you have to remove them to change the tube.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-20-24, 12:16 PM
gpolly1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the support, it makes sense. I'll try it next time.
Old 02-20-24, 12:57 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
My son had exactly this problem last week. He’s pretty handy and it was driving him mad :-) A 20 minute stuttering facetime call ensued and yeah it was all about centering the tyre, which seemed almost too big for the rim, by inflating the tube just enough.
Likes For choddo:
Old 02-20-24, 01:00 PM
gpolly1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, now I don't feel so bad. I guess misery loves company. I've changed tires and tubes before and never had that problem until now. Frustrating!!!
Old 02-20-24, 04:02 PM
grumpus

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by gpolly1
I'm embarrassed to say this, but I'm having problems changing my 700x38c tubes and tires on my 29'' rims. The tires are folding tires, but for some reason, both tires and tubes seem too big. The tires bead keeps coming out of the rims and the tubes want to bunch up in the tire. I'm just wondering if I'm missing a trick to getting them on. It doesn't seem to have been a problem for me before. Maybe it's more difficult changing a folding tire?
Sometimes a folding tyre has a mind of its own - take it out of the wrapper and lie it flat for a day or two, preferably with a slightly inflated tube in it, when you come back it will be more willing to cooperate.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 02-21-24, 06:58 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Even some wire beads are "loose" and require slow intermittent air filling as the tyre is massaged about.

Do make sure you are using the right tube. The show really must fit here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cinderella.jpg (94.8 KB, 88 views)
Likes For soyabean:
Old 02-21-24, 09:49 AM
gpolly1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great Idea

Originally Posted by grumpus
Sometimes a folding tyre has a mind of its own - take it out of the wrapper and lie it flat for a day or two, preferably with a slightly inflated tube in it, when you come back it will be more willing to cooperate.
Yep, the shape of the folding tire had a mind of it's own. I let the tire sit out for a few hours, but a slightly inflated tube in it sounds like a great idea!
Old 02-21-24, 09:58 AM
soyabean

There is absolutely no reason why a folded tyre can't be installed immediately from new stock.

I've never heard of letting it "air out" in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tyre-folding.jpg (20.7 KB, 85 views)
Likes For soyabean:
Old 02-21-24, 10:19 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Try this approach, which is how it's done in factories.

Add some air to the tube until it's a sausage, but no more than needed to hold the shape. Stuff the tube evenly into the tire.

Starting at the valve, mount one side and use both hands to work to the far end in both directions. Flip the wheel, and mount second side, working both directions toward the valve. If necessary, go back and massage the tire toward the valve to get some slack and push it over.

Finally, push the valve in to the tire to make sure you haven't trapped tube under the bead, then pull back out.

Pump to 20psi or so, then spin to make sure it's seated evenly. Pump to riding pressure.

Note, the job should take less time than I spent typing this. Women in Taiwan do about 2 per minute.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-21-24, 10:34 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
There is absolutely no reason why a folded tyre can't be installed immediately from new stock.
Of course it can be installed, especially by an experienced installer, it's just a question of making the job easier.

Leaving it on the front porch in the sun for an hour in the summer seems to relax the set in tightly folded tires.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 02-21-24, 10:39 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Of course it can be installed, especially by an experienced installer, it's just a question of making the job easier.

Leaving it on the front porch in the sun for an hour in the summer seems to relax the set in tightly folded tires.
And it's possibly that set that's preventing the tire from seating evenly.

Also note that the rigid steel wire beads help tires seat evenly on their own. The flexible bead of folding tires don't do that, so added user care may needed.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-21-24, 10:57 AM
soyabean

Wow.

Leaving black rubber in the hot summer sun.

That's a great way to deform a perfectly good brand new tyre that has nothing wrong with it.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 02-21-24, 11:04 AM
FBinNY 

Wow.

Leaving black rubber in the hot summer sun.......
You do understand that this is a bike tires normal working environment?

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 02-21-24, 11:04 AM
choddo

Wow.

Leaving black rubber in the hot summer sun.

That's a great way to deform a perfectly good brand new tyre that has nothing wrong with it.
Do you not ride on sunny days then? We don’t get super high temps here (yet) but I’ve done this to relax a folding tyre once or twice.
Likes For choddo:
Old 02-21-24, 11:17 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Mounting tires/tubes efficiently and properly takes some practice and experience. Watch a couple of videos, like on parktools.com, to get the general idea. Then it is a matter doing it enough to get better at it. Different tires and wheels will be a bit more difficult. Tire levers and a bead jack can save you from some frustration.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 02-21-24, 06:54 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts

Same here. I've never done anything other than mounting the folding tire straight out of the package. It can be a bit onery and needs to be put in its place but it's not that tough to do. I might try the "let sit with an inflated tube" technique next time, unless I'm too impatient.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 02-21-24, 06:59 PM
choddo

Originally Posted by Camilo
Same here. I've never done anything other than mounting the folding tire straight out of the package. It can be a bit onery and needs to be put in its place but it's not that tough to do. I might try the "let sit with an inflated tube" technique next time, unless I'm too impatient.
Yeah in my experience it’s nothing more than a “de-ornery-ing” trick. I haven’t done it with a tube either, just popped it out and laid it down flat for a few minutes while getting the wheel ready. Just found it stops it wanting to invert bits of the circumference.
Likes For choddo:
Old 02-22-24, 08:49 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
I typically buy tires before I need them and mount on old wheels. See, a reason to keep all that old stuff! Then, when you need them, they are stretched a little and in the right shape. And always easy to mount without a tube.
Likes For bblair:
Old 02-23-24, 09:49 AM
grumpus

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts

The key phrase might be "from new stock", because the longer it's been folded the more likely it is to be annoying, I think. Not difficult, just annoying when it won't go on the rim because it's both too floppy and too kinked.
Likes For grumpus:
Old 02-23-24, 11:12 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Try this approach, which is how it's done in factories.

Add some air to the tube until it's a sausage, but no more than needed to hold the shape. Stuff the tube evenly into the tire.

Starting at the valve, mount one side and use both hands to work to the far end in both directions. Flip the wheel, and mount second side, working both directions toward the valve. If necessary, go back and massage the tire toward the valve to get some slack and push it over.

Finally, push the valve in to the tire to make sure you haven't trapped tube under the bead, then pull back out.

Pump to 20psi or so, then spin to make sure it's seated evenly. Pump to riding pressure.

Note, the job should take less time than I spent typing this. Women in Taiwan do about 2 per minute.
The perfect pressure is what you can do with your lungs and mouth. Saves reaching for the pump or air from your canister. Probably not a good idea for the immune compromised but I've been doing it forever.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 02-23-24, 11:43 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
I have had the same problems with both Folding and Non-folding tiers. Often the Bead is off or thin or too close to the wire.

Take your tire and inspect the tire closely measuring the thickness and width of the bead. I think you will be surprised.

If the bead checks out as good then most likely it is slipping off the rim where the fold was at. For that problem I mount the tire then use zip ties to hold the tire inside the inner rim as I inflate the tire. Then after letting remain in place for a few hours I will remove the tie.

https://www.bikeforums.net/foo/12406...ree-flats.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...ing-check.html

Last edited by zandoval; 02-23-24 at 11:46 AM.
Likes For zandoval:
Old 02-29-24, 08:49 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Here's how I do it with "ornery" folded tires:

Mount one bead first, all the way around the rim. This is only slightly difficult with a tire that's been folded a long time. Make the job look professional by centering the tire manufacturer logo over the valve hole, both front and rear tire logos facing the drive side of the bicycle. This not only looks good but can assist you with locating punctures in any tube you use down the road.

Inflate the tube just until it takes a shape. This is like maybe one, perhaps two downstrokes on a standard floor pump.

Insert the valve in the valve hole and down into the rim. Slowly insert the tube all around into the tire, or if there are too many kinks, then just around the rim. Once it's inserted, there should be no "kinks" in the tube.

Now, starting at the valve hole, fold the second bead over the tube and down into the rim. You may have to push the valve up into the tire to allow the second bead to come down and seat properly, and when that happens, pull the valve back down through the hole. Make sure the valve is straight. At the valve hole at this point, both beads are seated.

keep inserting the second bead around the rim, a little at a time, from each side away from the valve.

When you get 180 degrees from the valve hole, things start to get FUN!!

If you've done this enough, and your thumbs are strong enough, you can seat the final portion of the bead with little struggle. Go a millimeter a time if you have to, bit by bit.

If it helps, you can place the wheel on a work bench, with the axle hanging below and against the edge of the bench, lean your body against the rim to get leverage and to keep the wheel from moving, to get that final portion of the bead installed (my bench has a metal edge to assist with this, though at this point I don't need to use it).

Inflate the tire a few more pounds, and carefully look around the beads, on both sides of the rim. Make sure you didn't get the tube pinched in between the tire and the rim. If your tube was initially inflated sufficiently, this shouldn't be a problem. Once you're confident you've installed the tube and tire correctly, inflate to the pressure you prefer.

DISCLAIMER: I use older Mavic Open Pro semi-aero rims and high-quality folding tires that can seem difficult for most users to install, but I have never, ever needed to use a tire lever to install tires, no matter how tightly they fit. I have not tried to install modern tubeless tires on rims--but I still bet I could do it without tools.
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-13-24, 07:47 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
The problem that I often have is that a small portion of the tire seems to be seated too low, not up into the hook. Inflate/deflate and work it...sometimes the soapy water trick works, but I have read that Silca or someone sells a product for this, but no one carries that out of the road. Or pump to full pressure and it loudly pops into place. Or...jut ride it and it seems to seat eventually.
Likes For bblair: