Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Duct Tape on Stays

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Duct Tape on Stays

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-10, 04:19 PM
eyeclan

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Allez Sport Compact / 2006 Giant Boulder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Duct Tape on Stays

My last bike had a few scuffs and a moderate nick on the chainstays, likely from those pieces of road grit I hear clink against the frame. I actually wrapped the stays and the downtube with some duct tape (i know, hideous, but I'm paranoid). I was wondering if anyone else does this or used something else to protect their stays, because my new bike came in and I'm debating whether to ruin its looks with tape.
Old 08-17-10, 04:21 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,110 Times in 1,418 Posts
It might be a little paranoid, but hey, it couldn't hurt. But if you're going to wrap your stays with tape, why not make it reflective?
Old 08-17-10, 04:38 PM
JoelS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have black electrical tape on the right chainstay of one of my bikes.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 08-17-10, 04:40 PM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have duct tape on my main tubes, seatpost and right side chainstay. I put the duct tape there to cover the manufacturers name and logos, both for theft deterrence and I am not being paid to be an advertisement.
Old 08-17-10, 05:00 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
Nothing wrong with duct tape. Chainstay protectors are also being sold in sets that also include tape to protect your headtube from scuff marks made by your shift and brake cables.
Old 08-17-10, 05:13 PM
adam_mac84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i would X2 reflective tape... but you can also use an old innertube and zip ties if you want to recycle
Old 08-17-10, 05:25 PM
slims_s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adam_mac84
i would X2 reflective tape... but you can also use an old innertube and zip ties if you want to recycle
I use an old tube and some zips in my right chainstay, to protect it from chain slap
Old 08-17-10, 07:13 PM
coldfeet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some ideas,

1. Magic tape, or Rescue tape. It's a special rubber tape that bonds to itself, but doesn't have glue, so it comes off clean.

2. Clear chip protector, 3M makes the best, usually used for car hoods. You might score some offcuts at a tinting / striping place.

3. The aforementioned sets, sometimes in fake carbon fiber, or reflective tape.
Old 08-17-10, 07:27 PM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Liked 123 Times in 79 Posts
I've used the heavy clear packaging tape to do this. If put on right, you don't really even see it. I suppose if you could get a large size sheet of screen protector stuff, you could use that.

--
Jeff
Old 08-17-10, 08:01 PM
bengreen79
Allez means go.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wouldn't duct tape leave a sticky mess if you decide you wanted it off?
Old 08-17-10, 08:01 PM
Bikewer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The old standard was a piece of inner tube and some rubber cement. Rubber cement just rubs off when you want to clean the bike up for re-sale or whatever.
Old 08-17-10, 09:23 PM
Velo Dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can buy chain stay protectors from many sources. Last time I looked they were 10 bucks or so. I don't use them (all my bikes but one are steel, so there's not much danger of damage). Duct tape works fine, or a wrap of bar tape, or a few layers of clear plastic shipping tape.
This is a good thing to buy from a bike shop, BTW. They're cheap, so you don't pay a lot extra, you save $7 shipping on a $12 item and you establish yourself as a customer, so when you go in on Saturday morning and need something before a ride, they're likely to oblige.
Old 08-17-10, 10:17 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
I use a clear 3M tape that stays on well and removes with no residue. I install it at critical wear/rub locations.