Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Waterproof wisdom

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Waterproof wisdom

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-21, 11:36 AM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Waterproof wisdom

Before you buy a new (winter) rain shell jacket, hold your $ and read first:
Why is da jacket not completely waterproof? Yeah, you read it right: not completely waterproof.
To put it simply, you probably wouldn’t want to ride in it if it was. A rubber raincoat is completely waterproof, and may be the ideal garment for standing in a downpour waiting for the bus, but if you tried to ski or snowboard in it, you’d be wet in no time from your own perspiration even on a sunny day. The trick to a good active shell is protection from rain and snow on the outside with the ability to let water vapor (warm perspiration) escape from the inside. — All outerwear designed for active use has degrees of water resistance, but will eventually leak given enough water, time and pressure. Manufacturers define “waterproof” according to different standards, and testing is not standardized.
Oh, and beware marketing ;-)

Last edited by Bikewolf; 10-03-21 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-03-21, 09:23 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
In my experience there is no such thing as a "waterproof" rain jacket, for the reasons mentioned above ^^. I've also never found a jacket that would *actually* let water vapor out while excluding rain. You wind up wet with your own sweat anyway.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 10-05-21, 08:42 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I concur with ‘sweeks’ above. “Breathable” and “waterproof” can’t coexist in the same garment. If it’s “breathable” that means moisture…and even wind…can get through from the outside. Only plastic/rubber are 100%. Several years ago I purchased a cycling specific rain jacket at a bike expo. It’s made from tuff clear-ish opaque plastic, patterned and sewn into the proper fit for cycling, with zippers, pockets, etc. It’s essentially a trash can liner sewn into a cycling jacket. It’s even got vents sewn into it like other cloth fabric jackets have. But it doesn’t matter. One way or another (rain or perspiration) I’m going to end up wet. I can actually see condensation drips running down the inside of the jacket after I’ve had it on for 10-15 minutes. But the one thing that I consider first is warmth over dryness. When you’re wet in a fabric jacket, the wind is MUCH more of a factor in taking away your warmth. But the plastic jacket is WAY better at keeping your body heat in. I’d rather be wet and warm than dry and cold. Warmth over wetness!

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 10-05-21 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-05-21, 09:42 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
if it's cold enough one doesn't have to worry about "waterproof". one of my favorite winter outer layers is a thick North Face brand fleece jacket w/ long pit zips. with the right base & mid layers & those pit zips wide open it can withstand a little bit of anything

winter precip is so changeable, I can't even imagine trying to list all the possibilities. the worst, I think is cold slop, that super wet snow that clings to you. it's both wet & cold. for that I use outer layers top to bottom that are water resistant & layer under, accordingly

it was a wet rainy night last night & as I scurried into the house after work to get cozy I tried to remember how or why I would want to ride in that stuff. but based on past notes by myself, I seem to like it very much

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-05-21 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-05-21, 10:34 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Gore Shakedry. [/Thread]
Likes For surak:
Old 10-06-21, 11:40 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
What I've found _most_ important is to understand how to care for DWR fabrics. You can find information on this all over the web, though I think that Arcteryx delivers a particularly great How-to on their support site. Also can find good stuff on REI's site. All these "breathable" fabrics are basically sporting a flexible, super-thin film of water resistant "goo" that needs to be a) rejuvenated through a regular wash/dry cycle and b) occasionally re-treated with more DWR stuff. Easy to do, makes a lot of difference, and keeps the garment performing the way it's supposed to perform. When my jackets are "fresh", the water just beads on them, like a well-waxed car. Eventually, I start to see small areas on the fabric where the water is sinking in a little. A DWR refresh process -pretty much just laundering with an additive and a toasty tumble in the drier- fixes it all, back to new.
Old 10-06-21, 12:13 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Gore-Tex has been around since 1969, and still is. There's a reason for that. Dig deep into your pockets ($$$$) and get outfitted in the stuff (Gore Windstopper, Gore-Tex ShakeDry, etc..) where ever you can, and never look back.
Old 10-07-21, 06:59 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
A typical roof does not let water in and simultaneously allows the air to penetrate out. My rain coat for riding has zippers that allow air to get out in the underarm area and that allow the bottom to spread out so that, in particular, air can circulate freely from below. With a liner that coat works in winter too.