Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

8-Speed Campagnolo Chorus Hub - dismantling

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

8-Speed Campagnolo Chorus Hub - dismantling

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-21, 07:35 AM
gfk_velo

Bikes: Too many!

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
Thanks to all the contributors to the disassembly and assembly of the 8v hub!

I have a Record version that I really wanted to convert to 9v. @El Heron provided just the 9v cassette hub.

Based on my research, everbody said it would not work. The parts appear to be interchangeable. I used the springs and palls from the 8V. Aside from the springs appear to be of different length. it went together just fine. What am I missing?

The 9v hub has a grub screw on it that I did not use.

8v:

P1050240 on Flickr

9v:

P1050242 on Flickr

Depending on *which* 9s body you have, it *can* work.

You need the two-part body with three individual pawl springs rather than a single spring. The later 9s bodies (which also fit 10, 11 and 12), two-piece bodies with a single pawl spring don't work, nor do the still-later bodies made in a single piece of alloy with a single pawl spring.

The problem with the 9s body can be end-clearance because although the axle is 130mm long in both the 8 and the 9s hubs, from memory, the overall width of a 9s cassette is 42.5mm where an 8s is 41.5 mm.

IIRC (and it's a long time ago now ...), Campagnolo moved the drive side flange on the 9s hubs left by 1mm to maintain the 4mm spacing between the top sprocket and the inner surface of the dropout.

I do know (and Sutherlands 7 bears this out) that when we used to fit the 8s Ti cassette onto 9s hubs, we had to space 1.2mm behind the cassette because the 9s cassette body is longer - which is where the end-clearance problem can rear it's head.

You may need to use a flatter-profile locking or add 1mm to the axle spacing to create clearance and you nay have to be careful about the size of the smallest sprocket that you run, depending on the exact design of your seatstays, so that the chain doesn't foul on downshift.
Old 08-16-21, 09:15 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
@gfk_velo - I was wondering about the clearances you mentioned. I don't have a locking nut for the hub so can't verify the distance once locked in with assembly compressed.
Based on the following, it may be an issue. This wheel is not centered by about a mm anyway. Placing a spacer on the axle would be a benefit!
P1050243 on Flickr
P1050244 on Flickr

Suggestions for a flat lock ring (PN)?

Looks like I will need to pay attention at this configuration too. This is the 8v, duh. BUT, it is a DA cassette with the Wheel Mfg spacers which pushed the smallest sprocket out anyway. I guess I will need to take measurements.
P1050206 on Flickr

The 9v hub did have three pawls and springs. Two of the springs are a bit weak. Suggestions for replacements?

Measurements taken of the 9v Campagnolo sans lock ring and same for DA with Wheel MFG spacers. Less than .2 mm difference, closer to .15 with the 9v smaller.

Last edited by SJX426; 08-16-21 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-23-21, 03:04 PM
gfk_velo

Yes, looks like you are going to need a combination of a skinny lockring and a spacer in there, for 9s.

The lockring, the narrowest one I know of is / was a Marchisio alloy job, GMRCL99 or for an 11-up (and IIRC a bit thinner) GMRC1199.
Clemenzo in Italy were the last place I found any (Marchisio having gone to the great Velodrome in the sky) ... https://clemenzo.com/en/marchisio/lockrings

For the springs, FH-RE014 I'm waiting for stock from Campagnolo Italy - the Italian Summer hols are pretty much over with now so hopeful the "Express" order of spares we put in last week, which includes these items, will surface in the next few days.
Old 08-23-21, 03:19 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

@gfk_velo - Well if I can't get a lock ring, why bother!?
I stretched the existing springs to the same length as the one that looked right.
8V back on the hub until two things happen, 1 find a lock ring (thanks for the link!), 2 find a reasonable priced shifter.
Old 08-23-21, 10:00 PM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by gfk_velo
Clemenzo in Italy were the last place I found any (Marchisio having gone to the great Velodrome in the sky) ... https://clemenzo.com/en/marchisio/lockrings
He's in Germany, but more importantly he doesn't have any left afaik.
Old 08-30-21, 05:57 PM
gfk_velo

Originally Posted by Mackers
He's in Germany, but more importantly he doesn't have any left afaik.
Sorry, my bad. Sackcloth, ashes.
His website shows stock and the system allowed me to add one to my basket - although I didn't try to conclude the order as I don't have any use for one.
Have you contacted him direct? Assume so.
Old 08-30-21, 09:35 PM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 141 Posts
AFAIK I bought his last remaining stock of them when Marchisio went out of business.

Checking out the website I see "Availability: Out Of Stock" next to both of them so I wouldn't get too excited about being able to add them to your basket just yet.
Old 08-30-21, 10:10 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Bamicus
I got an axle and race from a member. I need to get loose bearings for the drive side. Would you know the size, and where to get them?
Jumping back into this thread because the member accidentally sold you the part I was offered.

Did you happen to find another source for the race? I'd like to locate one.
Old 08-31-21, 04:26 AM
Bamicus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by billytwosheds
Jumping back into this thread because the member accidentally sold you the part I was offered.

Ive seen them on eBay, the seller is from Italy.
Old 08-31-21, 01:05 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts

I’m the guilty one…Oops!

Sorry billy2sheds. Yes, baimus beat U to it & was my bad. But ~ at least it was useful to him. Wish I had another one for you.
The only reason I had that one axle was, long ago, I did an SRP Ti upgrade kit on a Cinelli I had, so it was leftover…
Old 08-31-21, 01:33 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Originally Posted by 1 Lugnut
I’m the guilty one…Oops!

Sorry billy2sheds. Yes, baimus beat U to it & was my bad. But ~ at least it was useful to him. Wish I had another one for you.
The only reason I had that one axle was, long ago, I did an SRP Ti upgrade kit on a Cinelli I had, so it was leftover…
Not to worry, I was a little surprised but hey that's the internet.

My search continues!
Old 08-31-21, 03:09 PM
Bamicus

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
They pop up on eBay sometime, you need the whole axle I think, because the races are not removable.
Old 08-31-21, 09:09 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
Not to worry, I was a little surprised but hey that's the internet.

My search continues!
Billy, why not get a used 8-sp hub & take the axle out for your hub existing hub.

This Veloce axle might work if they’re interchangeable…?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-cam...-127632-2357-0
Old 08-31-21, 11:07 PM
billytwosheds 

Originally Posted by 1 Lugnut
Billy, why not get a used 8-sp hub & take the axle out for your hub existing hub.

This Veloce axle might work if they’re interchangeable…?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-cam...-127632-2357-0
I've considered that! I have two Veloce-hubbed rear wheels, complete but with mismatched rims I'm not crazy about.

So I picked up two Chorus/CDA hubs, and overhauled the front but the rear has the corroded race.

I have two Mavic SUP rims in waiting.

Trying to not break up perfectly good parts, ya know?

Your offer of your rear axle with the cone was super, just didn't work out in my favor.

Maybe I'll visit the ISO / for trade thread and see what's happening...
Old 09-01-21, 05:44 AM
Bamicus

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
That’s the best solution if you can’t find an axle. I think record, chorus, some others are interchangeable.
Old 09-07-21, 06:06 PM
billytwosheds 

Popping in to say I found a replacement cone:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/393390421387

It's in Deutschland so working out the shipping details.

Thanks for helping look 1 Lugnut
Old 09-08-21, 06:49 PM
Bamicus

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
You need to make sure the cone on the older axle can be removed, and this is the correct cone.

Last edited by Bamicus; 09-09-21 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-17-21, 06:44 PM
billytwosheds 

So purchasing the single cone from Germany was going to cost around $60 all said and done, so I waited it out.

I did just fid this 20-spoke hub that looks like maybe Veloce? But I think the guts are the same as the 8-speed Record/Chorus hub I'm trying to outfit.

Would this have been for a lower spoke count wheel like the scirocco or perhaps undrilled from the factory?

Old 10-17-21, 08:20 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
But I think the guts are the same as the 8-speed Record/Chorus hub I'm trying to outfit.
Chorus yes, Record probably not.

Would this have been for a lower spoke count wheel like the scirocco ... ?
My front Scirocco is 20 (bladed) spokes, so most likely. Not sure what the hub is though, always thought it was Chorus or Athena...but maybe it's Veloce!
Likes For P!N20:
Old 10-18-21, 05:07 AM
Bamicus

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Record does work with Chorus, that’s exactly my setup. Not sure about the others. I had several before the right one, and one of them I couldn’t get apart. Not sure if it was veloce or what, but it was made as a solid unit.
Old 10-18-21, 11:09 AM
billytwosheds 

Originally Posted by Bamicus
I had several before the right one, and one of them I couldn’t get apart. Not sure if it was veloce or what, but it was made as a solid unit.
Hmm can you elaborate on what you couldn't get apart?
Old 10-21-21, 07:21 PM
El Heron

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
Thanks to all the contributors to the disassembly and assembly of the 8v hub!
I have a Record version that I really wanted to convert to 9v. @El Heron provided just the 9v cassette hub.
Based on my research, everbody said it would not work. The parts appear to be interchangeable. I used the springs and palls from the 8V. Aside from the springs appear to be of different length. it went together just fine. What am I missing?
The 9v hub has a grub screw on it that I did not use.
8v:
P1050240 on Flickr
9v:
P1050242 on Flickr
Hi SJX426
The Campagnolo Record 9 Speed cassette requires a 26.0mm locking which I believe was only required for Campagnolo 9 speed cassettes in 1997 and 1998, maybe 1999. I have an extra Campagnolo 26.0mm locking that I can send you if you haven't procured one yet. Please send me a PM if you still need a Campagnolo Record locking for the 9 speed cassette and I'll send it to you. I still have your mailing address. Your wheel looks great! Best,
Old 10-23-21, 07:02 PM
billytwosheds 

So I got the 20-hole hub apart and everything looks solid, and there are a few differences from the nicer hub I am transplanting the guts to.
  • The unthreaded cone is attached to the axle (as opposed to press fit)
  • The freehub has no cutouts along the inner ridge
  • As I received it there are fewer threads exposed on the drive side (how many threads should be visible anyway?)
The bearings in the new hub are in super shape, better than the other hub.

Putting it all back together soon. 20 holes in this hub I found still makes no sense.

Old 10-24-21, 07:34 PM
gfk_velo

So I got the 20-hole hub apart and everything looks solid, and there are a few differences from the nicer hub I am transplanting the guts to.
  • The unthreaded cone is attached to the axle (as opposed to press fit)
  • The freehub has no cutouts along the inner ridge
  • As I received it there are fewer threads exposed on the drive side (how many threads should be visible anyway?)
The bearings in the new hub are in super shape, better than the other hub.

Putting it all back together soon. 20 holes in this hub I found still makes no sense.

I think the hub is from a rear one of these:
https://www.retroroad.co.uk/products...ntage-wheelset

According to a quick bit of checking in some old docs I have, the Veloce-type axle should swap across into the RE hub with no issues.
Likes For gfk_velo:
Old 10-24-21, 08:25 PM
SJX426 

Originally Posted by El Heron
Hi SJX426
The Campagnolo Record 9 Speed cassette requires a 26.0mm locking which I believe was only required for Campagnolo 9 speed cassettes in 1997 and 1998, maybe 1999. I have an extra Campagnolo 26.0mm locking that I can send you if you haven't procured one yet. Please send me a PM if you still need a Campagnolo Record locking for the 9 speed cassette and I'll send it to you. I still have your mailing address. Your wheel looks great! Best,
El Heron Thanks! I would like that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.