Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

When do you replace your cycling shoes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-16, 09:38 AM
Fly2High

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Secteur Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

BF gang,
New to cycling and was wondering two things:

1. How long does a pair of cycling shoes last?
2. What defines when a pair should be replaced?

Thanks
Frank
Old 07-22-16, 10:39 AM
vinfix
Steel80's

Bikes: Breezer Venturi, Breezer Lightning Pro, Schwinn Peloton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Like any pair of shoes, it depends on how much you wear them, if you walk on them (not just pedal) and the weather & sweat they get exposed to. I've had shoes last 5+ years. The sole may start to separate, or the velcro or interior will get ratty. You're more likely to wear out the cleats first.
Old 07-22-16, 12:25 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,385 Posts
When I lose them. My last pair of Dominators went over 50,000 miles and were still perfect except for exterior cosmetics. I had to replace the buckles and re-glue the velcro, but no big deal. I bought a new pair in the same size and they fit identically. That was cool. I'll probably never need another pair of shoes. Sure, cleats wear out but that's nothing to do with the shoes.
Old 07-22-16, 02:18 PM
Wested
post-ironic

Bikes: CAAD 12, Lemond Maillot Jaune

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've always wondered if the soles wear out and lose stiffness over time. Any truth to that?
Old 07-22-16, 02:27 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Wested
I've always wondered if the soles wear out and lose stiffness over time. Any truth to that?
Not in my experience

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-22-16, 02:31 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fly2High
BF gang,
New to cycling and was wondering two things:

1. How long does a pair of cycling shoes last?
2. What defines when a pair should be replaced?

Thanks
Frank
1. Pretty much as long as you like.
2. Desire for a shiny new pair.

Cleats, however, an a different matter. They DO wear out, and wear out very quickly if you walk in them. Cleat covers will extend their life.
Old 07-22-16, 04:37 PM
Vicegrip

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SIDI carbon. Cleats, heel pads and inserts are wear items. My present pair of SIDI carbons are at 20,000+ miles, 2 splats and still going strong. I always wash and dry them after they get soaked on a ride. Pull the liners wash everything and park them all opened up in front of a fan.

Other less expensive shoes and brands..... This or that fails after a while. Have had moulded plastic soles crack right at the cleat boss, uppers rot away from the sole, velcro wear out and stop gripping and the like.
Old 07-22-16, 05:27 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
This was true with leather soles decades ago, but not with modern carbon fiber soles.

I usually get 40k-50k miles of wear from road shoes, so every 3-4 years I pick up a new set.
Old 07-22-16, 06:31 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Yes. I had a pair of Giro Republics, which I loved-- but they had composite outsoles, and I wore them out in just under 15,000 miles. They developed a significant amount of flex, to the point that I started getting hot spots on both feet. If you go with a full carbon sole, I doubt you will ever wear them out. I'm certainly hoping my Diadoras last forever.
Old 07-22-16, 07:23 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I'm certainly hoping my Diadoras last forever.
I'm curious which Diadoras you have, and the shape of your foot. I've owned Diadoras in the past(8 or 9 years ago) and they fit my narrow foot well. All the recent reviews describe them as roomy.

Any insight on their modern offerings?
Old 07-22-16, 08:48 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I'm curious which Diadoras you have, and the shape of your foot. I've owned Diadoras in the past(8 or 9 years ago) and they fit my narrow foot well. All the recent reviews describe them as roomy.

Any insight on their modern offerings?
They're the Diadora X-Vortex Pro-- I wanted a full CF sole but for SPD, and these felt the best out of the box. I wear an EU48, and have "duck" feet, where the toe-end of my feet is really flat and wide. This was a problem with my old Giros-- they fit fine with summer-weight socks, but any thicker sock would take up too much room and put my feet to sleep after awhile. Winters were just permanently tingly feet.

So if your feet are narrow, the X-Vortex may be too wide. They're plenty wide enough for me, and I usually wear a 4E in walking/running shoes. I have never had a hot spot even once in them, and though some folks (I guess) don't care for it, I love the double BOA. Getting even tension across my foot with other retention methods was always tricky.
Old 07-22-16, 08:57 PM
wookv

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had my Pearl Izumi Juice R2's for 8 years, about 10,000 miles, has been rain soaked a few times. The uppers are just fine, but my nylon soles creak.
Old 07-22-16, 09:39 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
They're the Diadora X-Vortex Pro-- I wanted a full CF sole but for SPD, and these felt the best out of the box. I wear an EU48, and have "duck" feet, where the toe-end of my feet is really flat and wide. This was a problem with my old Giros-- they fit fine with summer-weight socks, but any thicker sock would take up too much room and put my feet to sleep after awhile. Winters were just permanently tingly feet.

So if your feet are narrow, the X-Vortex may be too wide. They're plenty wide enough for me, and I usually wear a 4E in walking/running shoes. I have never had a hot spot even once in them, and though some folks (I guess) don't care for it, I love the double BOA. Getting even tension across my foot with other retention methods was always tricky.
Thanks.

Your comments confirm what I have read. Diadoras were my go to shoe for decades, but they have certainly changed.
Old 07-22-16, 09:58 PM
Xherion

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pair of Diadora Vortex Pro Moviestars (3 bolt). They are definitely are not made for people with narrow, skinny feet. They end up giving me hot spots during long rides. Also because I have skinny feet, I get a crease in the leather because I have to really crank down the boas. It was worth the $47 I paid, but not nearly as well built as my Gaerne Chronos.
Old 07-24-16, 05:24 AM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
I've got a pair of S-Works with about 20k and they are getting close to replacement. They've been crashed a couple times and the carbon sole is starting to splinter a good bit. I just replaced the heel pads and the carbon has worn there. Sometime soon they will fall off as the hole in the carbon will be larger than the screw.
Old 07-24-16, 07:10 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
The last pair I actually needed to replace rather than wanted to was falling apart. The soles were separating, stitching coming apart, velcro was totally worn out, inside of the heels crumbing. Wore those into the ground. It takes a lot of abuse to do that, now I replace when I think the shoes looks too beat up and I can go for nice change of gear.