Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A Flatlander Climbs Haleakala

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-12, 12:02 AM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Being from Indiana, I don't have much experience climbing, ok, so I don't have any! But if you're on Maui and a cyclist, climbing Haleakala is just something you have to do. Here's the ride report I sent to my team:

Up Haleakala.

Dressed in knee warmers, ss jersey with a ls jersey over it. Left the wind vest there, wish I wouldn't have. Dipped the tire at 0ft above sea level and started rolling at 6am.

You immediately start to climb 3-4% up through Paia and through tropical farmland. You go through all the aspects of island life in this first third of the climb. Shanties, mansions, beautifully landscaped churches, cemeteries and pineapple fields. Only the occasional switchback here, you pretty much just ride straight up the slope with the occasional pitch up to 8-9% maybe a little steeper. I was starting to get a little pain on the outside of my left leg and decided my seat was too low. A quick stop and an inch higher and everything felt great. I started getting nervous, all the ride reports I'd read talked about how easy it was to miss the first real turn, my Garmin was up and running and it helped to know there was a horse arena at the turn, there it was and an easy turn.

The weather is pretty much perfect at this point, clear and sunny. I could see the telescopes at the top of the mountain shining from the very start of the ride 10,023 feet up and 34 miles away. I'm warm but not too warm in my long sleeves with the jacket unzipped.

The altimeter clicks off 500', higher than any hill I've ever climbed. And the summit is still pretty much in the same place way up there. In fact even though I'm now steadily in the 5-6% climbing, I still don't consider myself to be on the mountain yet but still on the lower plains to the north. Up ahead the steeper sides of the mountain lie in wait.

The road itself is beautiful, what looks and feels like not more that a few years old asphalt with fresh painted yellow and white lines, perfect for rising.

Starting near the 3000' level the foliage starts to turn into what I'd call manicured tropical. Everybody seems to take care of their property up here and have a green thumb. Flowers and exotic plants are everywhere. I'm high enough now when the view opens up I can see all the way across the Maui valley to the West Maui Mountains and the ocean on both the north and south side of the isle. Smoke belches from the sugar cane factory on the central plain and jets fly their approach into Kahului Airport at my eye level.

It's been about an hour and a half and I'm coming up on my first planned stop, a little market setting at about 3500'. My legs are feeling pretty good and I've all but emptied two bottles of water/Gatorade so it's time for a refill. If I'm having any problems it my stomach, the mixed plate Hawaiian pork may not have been the best choice last night. A quick stop to the restroom and I'm feeling MUCH better, bottles filled, a quick stretch and I'm on my way.

Up the road about a half mile is the last turn of the ride, marked by a sign saying Haleakala National Park. Up I go. 20 miles and 6500' of climbing left.

The downhill riders start to come by, accompanied by their watchful minders they drift down the mountain, rain suited, full face helmeted statues unable to take their hands off the bars for a wave or spare a sideways glance. Their minders and the speed governors on their bikes keep them at no more than 20 mph, at some points as I pass them I seem to be going faster up than they are down. Some of the women smile as they go by, the men all mentally hand over their claims to manhood as they realize what I'm doing / they're doing. I give them all the Hawaiian "Shaka" hand sign to solidify weakness.

Up the road I see a couple of cyclists also going up. As I approach I see it's a man and women on touring bikes, though only the man has one saddle bag. As I pass I say howdie and they respond in kind. The women says "I wish I had your bike!" and then they were gone.

The bike is nice, more than I expected really. It's a fairly high end Fuji, full carbon, full Ultegra with a nice compact crank and an 11-28 cassette. Right now I'm using that 28, spinning up the slope. My plan has been to keep my HR below 170, top of my zone 3. Lately the advertised 5% grade has been more like 6-7% but I'm spinning it out and keeping things in control.

The scenery begins to change. I enter a dense pine forest, the smell is intoxicating. The trees huge. Through gaps I can see I'm about equal in height to the mountains to the west at 5000'. Some clouds are starting to roll into the valley below from the east. Above, clouds are also beginning to form. The ones below are heavy, above, light and wispy. It's a little chilly here, I zip up my SS jersey.

As quick as I entered the pines, I'm back out onto a large grassy hillside. I suppose this must be the beginning of the switchbacks because here they are. It really is something to see. The black ribbon of road with its bright yellow and white markings cutting back and forth through the green grass and black volcanic rock. I pass a cow. Someone has written on the road "5000 ft"

The grade has started to vary at this point in the switch backs and now it is more often 6-8% as it is 5%. 4% feels like downhill and is cause to move to a few higher gears and roll some speed. It is short lived though and quickly gives way to something steeper. On one stretch of 9%, "BREATH" is stenciled on the ground in bright blue letters. It's timely advice.

Nearing 7500 feet the trees are gone, I didn't notice when, but it's getting more and more rocky. Clouds are beginning to wisp by and the whole of the isle below is shrouded in their white veil. It's just me, the top of the mountain and the clouds. I roll up to the Park ranger station and can't find my money to get in, after digging through all my pockets I finally find it, hand over the $5 and continue on for the next mile up to the park station where I stop once again to use the facilities and refill the bottles. In my excitement to continue on I forget to stretch.

Off I go again, on and up. Looking back as I continue to climb the switchbacks in the distance I see another rider behind, just entering the station. Now there's two people, and two people make a race. I pedal on with new determination, using less of that 28 cog and standing more often on the longer straights. To change up the muscles used. They say this is the altitude you'll start to feel the lack of 02 but I'm not feeling bad at all. Good.

The wind is starting to kick up, and it's getting colder, small wispy clouds are zipping across and down the road like little apparitions. The summit is visible again, the observatories still shining in the sun. They look impossibly close, but my altimeter says they are still 2500' up and 8 miles away.

The only vegetation left is small dried up grasses. It's starting to look liked surface of mars, sharp red and black rocks with steep drop offs. I think I'm getting close, but then way up the hillside, I catch the glint of a car window above on one of the switchbacks ahead, by it's size it's miles away. Scale is everything up here, and there's just nothing to reference it with. I think to myself of Marek, on his 3rd Christmas opening presents and saying in his scratchy little voice "oh my, oh my, and OH MY, this is going to be AMAZIK!". And it is. And it continues up.

I pass the 9000' level and at this point realize I AM going to make it. I also realize I have more left to climb than any single hill I ever had ridden before.

I turn a switchback and think I'm in the final run, then turn away, turn back and I'm sure this is it, then away again. And Again. Finally the visitor center comes into view and I take the right hand to the summit. Ack! It's a half mile of 12%! Insult to injury! My HR is going up, way up but I don't care anymore, my legs are burning and that's ok too, through the parking lot and I get cheers from some of the motorists that passed me on the way up. Cool, I ride the side walk to the very top and I'm greeted by the park ranger with 'congratulations!'. I'm elated. She takes my picture at the sign, 10,023 feet above where I started 4:33 ago. I try to call some people but no signal. Shucks. Overall it wasn't as bad as I'd thought. The advice to stretch a few times was right on. It felt good to stand on top the mountain. The guy I'd seen behind me arrived about 5 minutes later, it was time to go.

Down.

I zipped everything up, ate a banana and started down. Strange I hadn't given much thought to this part but it quickly became apparent I could kill myself descending. That first 12% downhill with the wind whipping left and right and the road turning beneath me was an eye opener. And it was COLD! I thought of the wind vest I'd left in the Jeep, it wasn't doing much good there.

To sum it up, the descent was fast, rarely under 30mph for an hour and a half. I tried to save the brakes as much as possible, riding them was a hard temptation to resist. My teeth chattered so hard at one point I bit my tongue. My hands hurt from being in the drops but I had to be there for control and braking.

I passed the couple on bikes still on the way up with a quick wave and a smile (I ran into them again the next day in Hana 50 miles away. They were in the process of riding their bikes all the way around Maui. Quite the adventure.)

The ride turned into rolling fast down the straights, braking hard in the turns and rolling back up to speed over and again. I've heard people describe this descent as boring. I would describe it as one of the scariest things I've done.

Once off the mountain proper I took to pedaling to keep over 30mph and generate some heat. Unbelievably I passed some of the downhill bikers still on their way down. You couldn't pay me to do that.

I rolled back into Paia, packed up an was done. Wow. If you ever get the chance, this is one to do.

The data from my Garmin, which decided to lock up 2/3's of the way back down:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0370.jpg (35.4 KB, 331 views)
IMG_0372.JPG (98.0 KB, 263 views)
IMG_0374.jpg (36.7 KB, 262 views)
IMG_0386.jpg (38.9 KB, 245 views)
IMG_0387.jpg (45.6 KB, 641 views)
IMG_0391.jpg (38.7 KB, 259 views)
IMG_0395.jpg (35.7 KB, 273 views)
IMG_0396.jpg (37.7 KB, 529 views)

Last edited by RacerOne; 05-24-12 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-24-12, 12:31 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Well, that's just damn awesome.

Great report, thanks for sharing.
Old 05-24-12, 03:05 AM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kudos! Great ride and report!
Old 05-24-12, 05:38 AM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,479 Times in 3,223 Posts
Wonderful! Thanks, very inspiring!
Old 05-24-12, 08:51 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
is this the same climb that nachoman failed? (not that I could do it!!)

congrats!you give hope to a fellow flatlander. other than the obvious fact that you're a far stronger rider than I am.
Old 05-24-12, 08:53 AM
vermilionx

Bikes: '11 Fuji SL1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
very kewl.
Old 05-24-12, 09:00 AM
Drag
Cardiac Case

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale, Litespeed, Lynskey

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Beautiful write-up. That's one heck of a serious achievement! I was there in December, and you bring back many memories. I've added this ride to my life-to-do-list. I drove up with a couple friends before sun-rise but I was mentally taking notes along the way about what it would be like to ride up this thing. This is not easy. Congratulations!

Last edited by Drag; 05-24-12 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-24-12, 09:10 AM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
Fabulous, been up their a few times by car...absolutely gorgeous. Great achievement.
Old 05-24-12, 09:13 AM
Crimsonghost

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Well, that's just damn awesome.

Great report, thanks for sharing.
+1

Great job! Sounds like a blast.
Old 05-24-12, 11:45 AM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW, you totally did the "right" thing by riding Baldwin-Olinda-Hanamu-Haleakala Hwy. Sooo many people take the more obvious Haleakala Hwy-Kula Hwy-Kekaulike route which is much less picturesque, way more exposed (winds), and lots of high speed traffic. Good choice....
Old 05-24-12, 12:34 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Awesome report and a very impressive climb!
Old 05-24-12, 12:39 PM
speedwobbles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ride... add that to the list of places I need to go.
Old 05-24-12, 01:11 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL
is this the same climb that nachoman failed?
Hey, thanks for reminding me.
--
RacerOne, Great Job!

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 05-24-12, 01:12 PM
bobonker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent job (and write-up)!

Bob
Old 05-24-12, 01:55 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I love how the elevation line on the graph looks just like a volcano! Good job!

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 05-24-12, 02:04 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Very nice. It is a damned hard ride. Absolutely unrelenting. And you did it right. Congrats!
Old 05-24-12, 10:02 PM
RacerOne

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks guys! Glad you enjoyed the read!
Old 05-24-12, 10:24 PM
RacerOne

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HokuLoa
BTW, you totally did the "right" thing by riding Baldwin-Olinda-Hanamu-Haleakala Hwy. Sooo many people take the more obvious Haleakala Hwy-Kula Hwy-Kekaulike route which is much less picturesque, way more exposed (winds), and lots of high speed traffic. Good choice....
After looking at the routes this one made the most sense to me as well, plus it was easy to find a place close to the water to get my tires wet before the ride.
Old 05-24-12, 10:30 PM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sweet ride. That sounds hard as all getout. You must be in solid shape to find climbing at elevation with a 12% half mile finishing stretch to not be as bad as you thought. I'm gonna do that ride someday soon, but you better believe I'm going to be training hills, hills, and more hills in preparation for that one.

I can't believe that 500feet is bigger than the typical hill you climb. 500feet around here in Norcal is a good sized roller, but not a mountain climb! Goes to show that power is power and if you're practicing putting up big numbers on the flats, you'll be doing the same on the climbs.
Old 05-24-12, 10:54 PM
RacerOne

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
Sweet ride. That sounds hard as all getout. You must be in solid shape to find climbing at elevation with a 12% half mile finishing stretch to not be as bad as you thought. I'm gonna do that ride someday soon, but you better believe I'm going to be training hills, hills, and more hills in preparation for that one.

I can't believe that 500feet is bigger than the typical hill you climb. 500feet around here in Norcal is a good sized roller, but not a mountain climb! Goes to show that power is power and if you're practicing putting up big numbers on the flats, you'll be doing the same on the climbs.
Actually, the biggest hill I've got anywhere nearby to train on is just over 100'.

https://app.strava.com/segments/893341

But I do hill repeats, intervals and Thursday night world rides when I can, I guess it was enough.
Old 05-24-12, 10:57 PM
Chickenstrip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! That's what I do in my dreams! Congrats on the ride, and excelant report!
Old 05-24-12, 11:03 PM
Digitalfiend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That was a great read, thanks for sharing!
Old 05-24-12, 11:39 PM
Biscayne05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RacerOne
But I do hill repeats, intervals
I live in a pretty flat-ish area too so I have to travel a bit to get some hill training...they can be brutal doing repeats/intervals indeed (did a triple hill interval today and lets just say I called it quits after the 3rd one).

Congrats on the achievement.

btw, what bike do you have/drive terrain? What gearing do you have?
Old 05-25-12, 12:14 AM
ILUVUK
en fuego

Bikes: Trek Madone 3.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well done. enjoyed the report and photos.
Old 05-25-12, 12:27 AM
RacerOne

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Biscayne05
I live in a pretty flat-ish area too so I have to travel a bit to get some hill training...they can be brutal doing repeats/intervals indeed (did a triple hill interval today and lets just say I called it quits after the 3rd one).

Congrats on the achievement.

btw, what bike do you have/drive terrain? What gearing do you have?
For Haleakala I rented a bike from Boss Frog's in Lahaina, $50 for 24hrs.. not too bad. It was a spankin' new (I was the first to ride it) Fuji Altamira Team Replica, Ultegra components, Rotor 3D+F compact crank, with a 12-28 cassette. Nice bike.

At home I ride a Madone 6.5, 53/39 with an 11-23.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.