Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Grrr, no axle nuts at Home Despot!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-17, 12:10 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 4,537 Times in 3,370 Posts
You can always try your local thrift store. You might have to buy a spare wheel, but it may be cheaper than just the bare nut. Strip the parts off you that you want, ten donate it back to them.
Old 03-16-17, 12:58 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,602 Times in 2,356 Posts
infamous isle 18. we only voluntarily went down that isle if it was really slow & boring everywhere else, or if a pretty woman needed help. can't tell you how many times I helped ppl search, but ultimately tell them, sorry we don't have everything
Old 03-16-17, 02:31 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 4533 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,703 Posts
Maybe so, but you better hope for not without a metal cap in place and secure. In drag racing the cores can be depressed from the rotational force at speed. It can be pretty hairy if you lose pressure on a rear slick that only has a few psi to begin with or a front tire that you are relying on to keep you going straight at serious speed. Presta's could solve some of this but that ain't gonna happen.

Originally Posted by comanche400
I work at a shop that sells and repairs bikes and we get everything from high end road bikes to Wal-Mart specials. All the bikes I see with nuts on the axles have 3/8x26 on the rear, regardless of whether they are single speed or multi-speed internal and 3/8x24 nuts on the front axles. It's just a fact of life that some things on bicycles have to be weird especially when although they're 3/8 inch fasteners you use a 15mm wrench. And another thing that amuses me is when my co-workers tell customers that presta valves are superior to schrader valves even though presta valves are on nothing else in the universe but bicycle tires. $100,000 cars and $200,000,000 airliners use good old schrader valves. And aircraft use schrader valves not only one the tires but the landing gear struts which can be subject to thousands of pounds of pressure.
Old 03-16-17, 03:37 PM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
we must have the same garage with the same black hole; everything i drop is GONE
Old 03-16-17, 04:23 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 4,537 Times in 3,370 Posts
I'm not sure why Presta is popular. They are good with the skinny tires, but one can run 27x1 schrader valves too.

The locking valve probably isn't necessary when running 100+ PSI.

I was told years ago to deflate my sewups when not in use. I don't know if it did anything, but the presta is handy for that. I suppose fixing a slow leak, it is handy to deflate, but a leak usually self-deflates, and thus the problem.
Old 03-16-17, 04:40 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5873 Post(s)
Liked 2,718 Times in 1,517 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I'm not sure why Presta is popular. They are good with the skinny tires, but one can run 27x1 schrader valves too.

The locking valve probably isn't necessary when running 100+ PSI.

I was told years ago to deflate my sewups when not in use. I don't know if it did anything, but the presta is handy for that. I suppose fixing a slow leak, it is handy to deflate, but a leak usually self-deflates, and thus the problem.
PV is popular for two simple reasons.

1- they're narrower, meaning smaller holes in narrow rims, and a smaller gap needed between the beads with clinchers with narrow rims.

2- they're a simple check valve, which makes them easier to hand pump with a pump of a simpler design. With PV no valves are needed in the pump, it can be pushed on, doesn't have to be locked on to prevent air loss, and there's no air loss when removed, which is a big help with low volume high pressure tires.

Of course dome of this can be worked around, and it's not necessary to use Presta, but that doesn't detract that they're better suited to the purpose.

I suspect that other than gas station convenience, some of the dislike of PV, is that the modern iterations out of the far east lack the quality of the originals, leading to more frequent broken stems, sticking and needing burping, and loss of functionality if the stem is broken. Old timers who've used PV for decades know that we didn't have these problems until production was moved to the far east. PV, is such a simple design to copy, but somehow they managed to blow it.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-16-17, 05:01 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
26 pitch threads are very uncommon. Not surprised that you can't find it at HD
Old 04-28-24, 06:47 AM
mtice

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
steel

Originally Posted by leob1
Find your self an honest to goodness Hardware store, most likely an ACE or TrueValue, there you will have a much better chance of finding what you need. If your lucky it they will even have it in stainless steel.
Don't ever use Stainless steel unless you spend all of your time traversing swamps. Grade 8 carbon steel has a tensile strength of 150,000psi. 18-8 stainless is 80,000psi; just over half. And, it has a nasty habit of galling. Which is fine if you never want to remove said tire. Ever again. I work in an environment where we have to use stainless. We don't want to. We have to. There are exotics that will work but they're custom made and cost more than your bike. Yes, this is an old post but if I stumbled across it, someone else could.
Old 04-28-24, 07:28 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by mtice
Don't ever use Stainless steel unless you spend all of your time traversing swamps. Grade 8 carbon steel has a tensile strength of 150,000psi. 18-8 stainless is 80,000psi; just over half. And, it has a nasty habit of galling. Which is fine if you never want to remove said tire. Ever again. I work in an environment where we have to use stainless. We don't want to. We have to. There are exotics that will work but they're custom made and cost more than your bike. Yes, this is an old post but if I stumbled across it, someone else could.
Where exactly is on a bicycle would anyone need a SAE Grade 8 bolt? Steel, stainless steel, titanium, aluminum are all prone to gall which is why we use a lubricant on the threads in many applications.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 04-28-24, 09:11 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 392 Posts

Holie (sic) Zombie thread Batman! Grrrrr, no paint color matching machine or HVAC filters at my LBS...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 04-28-24, 09:12 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5873 Post(s)
Liked 2,718 Times in 1,517 Posts
I'm still trying to understand why people revive zombie threads just to pointlessly add their 2 cents.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 04-28-24 at 01:45 PM.
Likes For FBinNY: