Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Fitting SKS Fender to a Hybrid with RST Front Suspension Fork

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-11, 04:12 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts

I have a 2011 Novara Forza with a RST Neon front fork. I want to install fenders and purchased a set of SKS Chromoplastics. After reading through the poorly written instructions and examining my bike, I realize that I can't mount the front fender as shown.

https://www.sks-germany.com/download/...stallation.pdf

The instructions are dealing with a non-suspension front fork. I don't have a hole that goes all the way through, but there is threaded hole in the lower casting (at the top) as shown in this picture:

I wrote RST about using this threaded hole and got the size (M6x1) and I also got a warning of "Be careful that the bolt you use is the right length, if it is too long and you bottom it out it will break the casting in half." Breaking the casting would be, needless to say, less than optimal!

So has anyone mounted fenders on their hybrid using this hole? I figure I could run down a suitable bolt and give it a try being careful not to FUBAR the fork. I think it would work great, but I'm just the tiniest bit concerned!

Looking for encouragement or alternatives! I'd like to get these fenders installed before the Icicle Bicycle ride in on New Year's Day here in the city, just in case the weather is sloppy. Thanks!

Last edited by Altair 4; 01-02-12 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-30-11, 04:56 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

With no suggestions or encouragement, I decided to forge ahead and bought a M6x1 bolt and washer at my LBS and installed the fenders. The front fender could have been a bit longer - I'm not sure if it will give as good protection as I would have hoped.

I'm ready for the Icycle Bicyle ride on Sunday, although as of now, it looks like it will be dry for the ride, but windy. Oh, well, I'll see how my layering technique works out.
Old 01-02-12, 11:23 AM
Altair 4

Here are a few photos of the installation:

Overview of front fork installation

Front fork attachment at top of casting (Note the warning from RST in my first post in this thread!)

Release clips at bottom of fork

Washers used to provide clearance for Planet Bike rack rear light bracket and blinky

Finished project

Last edited by Altair 4; 01-02-12 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-08-12, 07:24 PM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
That is the only place you could mount the fender, since it moves up and down with the wheel. If you had drilled teh crown which is, of course, stationary, it would have destroyed the fender on the first bump.
It looks great, and should provide plenty of protection.