Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Hey Lance, Get off the MUP!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Hey Lance, Get off the MUP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-13, 12:13 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Multi Use Path - Man - Had to look that one up...

Crowded MUPs just another problem of over population...

I know - Lights and Sirens...
Old 05-09-13, 07:09 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
patheletes. i like that.
i call them gym class heroes.
we have some of them on the greenways here. i think for the most part, knoxville residents are pretty good about making the paths safe for everyone. i always call out "on your left" when passing, and if they aren't wearing headphones like a moron, they always shift to the right a bit to allow us to safely pass.
Old 05-09-13, 07:26 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Bet the Lances in the OP were only going 15 mph, yet we still get the rant.
And your point is? (And just to clarify, I have made it up to 15 mph... once or twice anyway )
Old 05-09-13, 07:39 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Any chance we can just ride our bikes and shut TFU?
Old 05-09-13, 07:40 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
And your point is? (And just to clarify, I have made it up to 15 mph... once or twice anyway )
15 mph is quite a different speed than the OPs claimed warp 6.

Not to mention 15 mph is not all that fast anyway. The cycling speed limit on our narrow city sidewalks is 10 mph. Getting all excited and throwing stereo types out for a pointless rant in which no one was hit by a 15 mph cyclist is worth no more than a yawn.

As noted by another poster, the OP was riding the same average speed as those he derides, so it sounds more like he was upset simply because another cyclist passed him at some point on the MUP.

Did you also note that the OP did not refute my 15 mph guess.
Old 05-09-13, 08:08 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not to mention 15 mph is not all that fast anyway. The cycling speed limit on our narrow city sidewalks is 10 mph. Getting all excited and throwing stereo types out for a pointless rant in which no one was hit by a 15 mph cyclist is worth no more than a yawn.
I disagree. The MUPs here have lots of people, little kids on bikes, people walking dogs, etc. You can do stretches at speed, but it is necessary to slow down for heavy traffic. This is something I don't always see and I feel it's likely to cause accidents. Hitting someone at 15mph is usually painful.
Old 05-09-13, 10:19 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by gerv
I disagree. The MUPs here have lots of people, little kids on bikes, people walking dogs, etc. You can do stretches at speed, but it is necessary to slow down for heavy traffic. This is something I don't always see and I feel it's likely to cause accidents. Hitting someone at 15mph is usually painful.
So how many collisions have you seen on the MUP?
Old 05-10-13, 01:00 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
Are we talking about v=w3c or v=w10/3c?
Old 05-11-13, 07:20 PM
Simpletommy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by longbeachgary
Any chance we can just ride our bikes and shut TFU?
Troof.
Old 05-11-13, 08:04 PM
MarkvW

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So these guys you are so angree at, have not actually caused a collision?

Can't say the same for the peds and dog walkers.

Why do you guys call it a MUP if so many of you do not want other types of users to enjoy it in their own right?
I'm reconciled to pedestrians. When I'm on a bike path, it's their world and I'm just riding in it. They've got the right of way and I respect it. Bike pathletes are another story. They're too stupid to be idiots.
Old 05-11-13, 08:23 PM
bluegoatwoods

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ephin
Wow! You get one dissenting opinion and this is how you react?

Narcissists are notoriously thin-skinned. It's their (subconsious) defense to cover up what's actually a fragile ego. I guess Mattgmann's fragile ego couldn't handle one dissenting opinion - hence his above running away from the thread comment.
You bit the wrong guy's leg on this one; the one he was replying to starts fights for the sheer fun of it. I guess I don't really know the motivation. But I must be close to the truth.

But doesn't it seem as though the preponderance of traffic on an MUP --as opposed to a bicycle path-- must be of a leisurely nature? Walkers, people with children and dogs, users like that? Should they be subjected to the need to watch their steps very closely or run the risk of severe bodily damage? Count my vote in the "No, they should not" category. And that means that bicyclists should slow down a great deal and always, always be prepared to surrender right-of-way at a split-second's notice. Regardless of whether the ped was behaving stupidly or not. This is coming from a serious bicyclist, too.

I have a similar attitude toward our streets. I resent the fact that our children can play in the yard but run the risk of instant death or maiming if they cross that line out front. And since they're children, it's going to happen sometimes. And I dislike the fact that the little old ladies in our neighborhoods walking out to the mailbox have to tolerate the startling appearance of two tons of steel suddenly hurtling by just a few yards away. Yes, they know it's going to happen. But they shouldn't have to remind themselves. The streets should belong far more to the kids and the old ladies than the cars, who should be considered 'guests' tolerated as long as their behavior is acceptable.

MUPs should have similar rules. They really belong to walkers and families. Bikes are okay, but they should behave like guests.

Last edited by bluegoatwoods; 05-11-13 at 08:25 PM. Reason: slightly better wording
Old 05-12-13, 02:42 AM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by bluegoatwoods
You bit the wrong guy's leg on this one; the one he was replying to starts fights for the sheer fun of it. I guess I don't really know the motivation. But I must be close to the truth.
Right, anytime someone disagrees with your point of view they are trying to start a fight.

MUPs should have similar rules. They really belong to walkers and families. Bikes are okay, but they should behave like guests.
Most of these so called MUPs were built with significant amounts federal transportation dollars. That means the recreational users are in fact the guest.

If you want to start building them with park funds, then you can whine about the transportation folks.
Old 05-12-13, 04:23 AM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mattgmann
... they may get some extra damage from me.
since you're so tough, maybe you should be having this conversation with them, instead of random strangers hiding behind your computer screen.
Old 05-12-13, 05:16 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
The recreational users paid the taxes that funded the Dept. of Transportation. They are the OWNERS rather than the guests! Also, bicyclists are recreational users as well.
Old 05-12-13, 01:49 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
The recreational users paid the taxes that funded the Dept. of Transportation. They are the OWNERS rather than the guests! Also, bicyclists are recreational users as well.
Please note, it is the OP telling others to get off the path.
And those others are tax payers, so they are the owners.

I take it you also insist that all cyclist and walkers get to use any freeway unrestricted as well, right?

Last edited by CB HI; 05-12-13 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-12-13, 02:19 PM
agent pombero
Mmm hm!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of FT commuters use MUPs around here. For a whole community in Portland the Springwater, for example, is the most direct and safest way into downtown Portland. These commuters, referred to as "pathletes" around on BF, are used to 9 months of the year of pretty empty MUPs (because the majority in Portland are fair weather exercisers; why even bother? Get off the MUP imo) and then all of the sudden, come spring and summer, a MUP full of idiots: walking 8 abreast; not moving to the right when bell/call out; zigzagging across the MUP; etc. I understand the frustration of wanting to get from A to B AFAP and then these fair weather exercising idiots, with their dogs, iPods, strollers, 4 year olds, are in the way.

Last edited by agent pombero; 05-12-13 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-12-13, 02:43 PM
bluefoxicy

Bikes: 2010 GT Tachyon 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stryver
Really? The OP seemed to indicate a category of users that were infringing on others rights.
"Infringing on others' rights" is such a loaded phrase. Every time I hear it, it's an argument from some small-brained animal that doesn't know wtf they're talking about.

Better terms:
  • Abusing $whatever (Abusing the MUP)
  • Being dickholes

The problem is people use the word "Rights" to refer to "Entitlement," i.e. they think they're entitled to something. Meanwhile the other guy thinks he's entitled to something that's kind of mutually exclusive with your entitlement. Both of these guys will argue about their so-called "Rights".

If we talk about "abuse", we start talking about rules--official, written rules and rules of etiquette. Notably, failure of rules of etiquette is called "Being a dickhole". More notably, you can continue to be a dickhole while exercising your rights where another person has none--for example, by throwing a severe tantrum because some kid walked on your lawn, calling his parents, make a federal case out of it why don't you.

Rules and entitlements and technical ownership and privilege make for a good beating stick if you want to be a jerk. I'd rather bypass all that and just go squarely to the heart of the matter, avoid all the political language.
Old 05-12-13, 05:14 PM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Please note, it is the OP telling others to get off the path.
And those others are tax payers, so they are the owners.

I take it you also insist that all cyclist and walkers get to use any freeway unrestricted as well, right?
Actually, I was agreeing with your position, by pointing out two logical flaws in CB HI's point of debate.

Flaw #1: Everyone who is a Federal taxpayer is a co-owner of all things paid for by said tax dollars. (This point is semi-void, since we spent more dollars than we pay in taxes, so in part, the MUP belongs to the Chinese Government! )

Flaw #2: If recreational users can be told to give right-of-way to others, then bicyclists, themselves being recreational users, must give right-of-way as well.

If at this point, you are thinking: "Okay, this Bierbaum idiot is just being snarky, and probably thinks he's being funny." Then I plead "Guilty, as charged!"

In seriouser mode: I tend to be in the "give others consideration before one's self, even when it's less than convenient for one's self" camp. When driving, this tendency toward extreme patience drives my passengers up a wall.

Last edited by David Bierbaum; 05-12-13 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-12-13, 07:18 PM
MarkvW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluefoxicy
"Infringing on others' rights" is such a loaded phrase. Every time I hear it, it's an argument from some small-brained animal that doesn't know wtf they're talking about.

Better terms:
  • Abusing $whatever (Abusing the MUP)
  • Being dickholes

The problem is people use the word "Rights" to refer to "Entitlement," i.e. they think they're entitled to something. Meanwhile the other guy thinks he's entitled to something that's kind of mutually exclusive with your entitlement. Both of these guys will argue about their so-called "Rights".

If we talk about "abuse", we start talking about rules--official, written rules and rules of etiquette. Notably, failure of rules of etiquette is called "Being a dickhole". More notably, you can continue to be a dickhole while exercising your rights where another person has none--for example, by throwing a severe tantrum because some kid walked on your lawn, calling his parents, make a federal case out of it why don't you.

Rules and entitlements and technical ownership and privilege make for a good beating stick if you want to be a jerk. I'd rather bypass all that and just go squarely to the heart of the matter, avoid all the political language.
I just figure that the pedestrian always has the "right" of way, and try my best to act accordingly.
Old 05-12-13, 07:34 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
Actually, I was agreeing with your position, by pointing out two logical flaws in CB HI's point of debate.

Flaw #1: Everyone who is a Federal taxpayer is a co-owner of all things paid for by said tax dollars. (This point is semi-void, since we spent more dollars than we pay in taxes, so in part, the MUP belongs to the Chinese Government! )

Flaw #2: If recreational users can be told to give right-of-way to others, then bicyclists, themselves being recreational users, must give right-of-way as well.

If at this point, you are thinking: "Okay, this Bierbaum idiot is just being snarky, and probably thinks he's being funny." Then I plead "Guilty, as charged!"

In seriouser mode: I tend to be in the "give others consideration before one's self, even when it's less than convenient for one's self" camp. When driving, this tendency toward extreme patience drives my passengers up a wall.
I have proven in federal court and have established case law that many cyclist are not recreational users but commuters and utility cyclist. Odd that so many cyclist here fail to understand that fact, especially in the COMMUTER forum.
Old 05-12-13, 07:55 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
EDIT

These are the kinds of people that you need to look out for - not those that are riding fast.

Last edited by longbeachgary; 05-15-13 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-12-13, 08:28 PM
bluegoatwoods

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Right, anytime someone disagrees with your point of view they are trying to start a fight.

If you want to start building them with park funds, then you can whine about the transportation folks.
There you go...

Making your point is legitimate. But you just can't resist throwing in insulting terms like "whining".

Then you claim that it's not you who starts fights.

You didn't realize that you were offering up a perfect example of your shoddy tactics, did you?
Old 05-12-13, 08:45 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

There you go...

Making your point is legitimate. But you just can't resist throwing in insulting terms like "whining".

Then you claim that it's not you who starts fights.

You didn't realize that you were offering up a perfect example of your shoddy tactics, did you?
Odd that you consider a description an insult.

Old 05-15-13, 07:01 PM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by fatguy_ona_bike

In my experience, the guys in full kit at a 20-25 avg are usually pretty polite. But there's always that occasional one...
My son (a full time commuter too) calls them power rangers and they may be polite in your area but they're ******** here (and I'm generalizing). They almost never say hello or even recognize other cyclists and more importantly, give cyclists a bad rap. Just today I was stopped at an intersection (where the sign says mup users stop not car traffic) two guys came up from behind me and pulled into the street forcing cars to stop. I never see this behavior from any other users and it's flat out arrogant. It's a rite of spring and I know that come late fall they'll disappear. I like when it rains too because apparently they melt if wet. Rant over
Old 05-15-13, 07:55 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I will usually see a speed-demon rider on the MUP doing his thing ALONE. The one time I remember 'running afoul of a paceline' was on the road -- the group short-cut a left turn, just about taking my front wheel with them. One of them yelled something disagreeable, while I was bellowing, "WATCH THE F*** OUT!"

It's actually been almost a year since I had ANY MUP issues; the last one, though, was a doozy! It was an organized group ride, called "Trek the Trails", where the local 'Greenway Consortium' sponsored/led an open ride to familiarize the locals with where the MUP goes. I had my two youngest with me, and some ****** on a recumbent almost took my 10-y-o off the path with his careless riding!

As a result, my kids don't want to do any more 'Trek the Trails' rides.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.