Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Western Canada
Reload this Page >

Does anybody know anything about this bicycle brand?

Search
Notices
Western Canada Alberta | British Columbia | Manitoba | Northwest Territories | Nunavut | Saskatchewan | Yukon Territory

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-14, 09:02 PM
Edmontoban

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi folks,

I've recently come into ownership of an old bike, which I'm fairly certain is an old department store brand that no longer exists. The brand is Venture, and the model is Mountain Tour. Just based on a Google search, it appears that the brand only existed in Canada, as virtually the only search results are for kijiji ads of people selling Venture bikes in Canadian cities. A couple of people on forums have suggested it was probably an in-house brand sold by Zellers. Thus I suspect the bike isn't worth anything, however I'm curious about it just because there's so little information about the brand on the internet.

In any case I kind of like the look of the bike, so I think I'll keep it. I've taken it into the bicycle co-op to fix it up so that it's rideable (just needed to replace the chain and the cables) and so far haven't had any problems with it. What I'm wondering is:

-does anybody have any knowledge of this bike brand/ model? Can anyone verify that this was a cheap Zellers brand?
-any guesses on the year my bike was made?

I've attached a couple of pics of the bike. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
venture mountain tour.jpg (93.6 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg
venture mountain tour label.jpg (98.4 KB, 162 views)
Old 05-06-14, 08:24 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
I believe Venture was a brand that was sold at Canadian Tire.
Old 05-29-14, 05:38 PM
Torchy McFlux

Bikes: NOYB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's a "brand" that was sold at The Bay. Cheap steel frames that were built at the same factory in Waterloo, Quebec as Canadian Raleighs and a bunch of other cheaper brands, I believe. The market has sure changed a lot.
Old 07-12-14, 07:47 PM
Yac Zak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha! I used to have a Venture as well. Got it at Zellers. Yes, they had a reputation for being cheap bikes. However, mine lasted me a good 7 years of steady riding. Until one day it got knicked in front of a Safeway... By that time it was so beat up, I used to joke that whoever stole it must have been DESPARATE for a bike.
Old 07-12-14, 07:48 PM
Yac Zak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As for guesses on your year, I'd go late 1980's (1987 - 1990), based on the components, paint job, etc.
Old 10-14-14, 01:00 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Liked 294 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by Yac Zak
As for guesses on your year, I'd go late 1980's (1987 - 1990), based on the components, paint job, etc.
I would think earlier than that, based on the roller-cam style brakes. I would guess 83-85 or so.
Old 10-14-14, 01:06 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Liked 8,021 Times in 4,264 Posts
I'd guess around 1983-85 also.

Cool bullmoose bars on there. The shifters are probably pretty cool too, but pic not clear enough on those.
Old 11-30-14, 03:16 PM
MattzCer
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its from Late 80s
Old 06-29-22, 02:24 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Liked 620 Times in 234 Posts
I may have picked up its near twin today. 1986 produced by Raleigh Canada for the Hudson's Bay and Zellers stores. The bullmoose bars are starting to sell for more than I paid for the bike. No idea of its future yet.

Old 11-23-22, 04:32 PM
Memo Malo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Edmontoban
Hi folks,

I've recently come into ownership of an old bike, which I'm fairly certain is an old department store brand that no longer exists. The brand is Venture, and the model is Mountain Tour. Just based on a Google search, it appears that the brand only existed in Canada, as virtually the only search results are for kijiji ads of people selling Venture bikes in Canadian cities. A couple of people on forums have suggested it was probably an in-house brand sold by Zellers. Thus I suspect the bike isn't worth anything, however I'm curious about it just because there's so little information about the brand on the internet.

In any case I kind of like the look of the bike, so I think I'll keep it. I've taken it into the bicycle co-op to fix it up so that it's rideable (just needed to replace the chain and the cables) and so far haven't had any problems with it. What I'm wondering is:

-does anybody have any knowledge of this bike brand/ model? Can anyone verify that this was a cheap Zellers brand?
-any guesses on the year my bike was made?

I've attached a couple of pics of the bike. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks all!
ive got a venture bike too, and i like it a lot… still know nothing about it, tríed to find out in the web, but nothing