Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Impossible Build Challenge

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Impossible Build Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-20, 06:34 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Tires...

​​​​​
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
I challenge myself sometimes, well, a lot. Not limited by my imagination, I think of things that I'd like to do, but sometimes my ideas are quickly thwarted by the starkness of reality. For instance, I've been courting the notion that I can build a complete bicycle without using a single bicycle component. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING would be hand-made by me. As a second-generation machinist, aircraft mechanic, industrial machinery mechanic, welder/fabricator, and all-around tinkerer, I am confident with my skills. Still, there is one slight problem remaining: How do I make a tire?

Yes, I am challenging myself to not even use bicycle tires.

Now I realize that this may not be a C&V topic, and if deemed necessary, I'll harbor no bad feelings if it gets moved. I like everyone in here. I recognize and respect the talent. Plus, everyone in here seems a lot more civilized in their comments. Other subforums just aren't as nice.

So fantasize with me a little. If you needed a tire, and there were no tires to be had, and you had materials at hand, how would you make one?

-or-

Are there any tall/narrow tires available that aren't built for bicycles? Have a sip of coffee, and let's indulge ourselves!
Sure there are. You could use wheelchair tires.
But let's not go there. After all, what's the point, who are we cheating?

How about some less complicated version of this: ( I used 30 and 45 mil EPDM rubber for years building ponds). Wrap a strip of cured epdm around a rolled bundle of Kevlar fabric matting and seal it on the inside of the "tire" casing with uncured EPDM. Then wrap that with a long narrow strip of reinforced EPDM (reinforced with Kevlar threads? IDK anymore) diagonally around and around, with adhesive underneath. Could even wrap the the outer layer around rim to make it an integrated unit, no roll off risk. The low tech filling is of course, a third-world "innertube" - grass. Reducing high-tech dependency, could also involve recycling (see how cycling sneaks in), some sort of (fiberglass 1st) mesh, like for house screens, and metal if needed for durability.

​​​​​​ Simplifying a certain amount based on
previous tire ideas... Ok, take some baling twine and spiral wrap with EPDM. Done, moderately durable, moderately cushioned, and won't roll off.

Last edited by Last ride 76; 02-23-20 at 06:43 PM.
Likes For Last ride 76:
Old 02-23-20, 07:32 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
​​​​​

Sure there are. You could use wheelchair tires.
But let's not go there. After all, what's the point, who are we cheating?

How about some less complicated version of this: ( I used 30 and 45 mil EPDM rubber for years building ponds). Wrap a strip of cured epdm around a rolled bundle of Kevlar fabric matting and seal it on the inside of the "tire" casing with uncured EPDM. Then wrap that with a long narrow strip of reinforced EPDM (reinforced with Kevlar threads? IDK anymore) diagonally around and around, with adhesive underneath. Could even wrap the the outer layer around rim to make it an integrated unit, no roll off risk. The low tech filling is of course, a third-world "innertube" - grass. Reducing high-tech dependency, could also involve recycling (see how cycling sneaks in), some sort of (fiberglass 1st) mesh, like for house screens, and metal if needed for durability.

​​​​​​ Simplifying a certain amount based on
previous tire ideas... Ok, take some baling twine and spiral wrap with EPDM. Done, moderately durable, moderately cushioned, and won't roll off.
Interesting. Would it need any shaping once its assembled??
Old 02-23-20, 10:54 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Interesting. Would it need any shaping once its assembled??
I don't think too much, given a combination of the somewhat stretchable nature of the un-reinforced EPDM and the un-strechable (but still flexible) nature of the re-inforced version. Hey, what about following the route taken by Mad Fiber? And Trek Y-66 or Slingshot style frame?

I'm thinking about incorporating a slingshot type rod to re-inforce or iddeally replace the downtube entirely. on the Aegis. BTW, plans for the Aegis kill the donor bolt idea. But... It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to fabricate. Be happy to make a tinkerCAD drawing when things slow down a bit. The only 3D printers I have at my disposal use very weak poly "wire". And CNC wood or plastic. no Al. Drat.
Old 02-24-20, 05:41 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

I'm beginning to think that this thread will be just an "idea thread," and will be referenced to which in an actual build thread, which will probably be in another forum. Also, I am beginning to like the idea of a recumbent for this.
Old 02-24-20, 07:10 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked 1,099 Times in 644 Posts
Thanks for your vote of confidence! Why not challenge yourself? No sense to sit on your duff and wish your life away.

My goal will be to re-purpose and adapt as many non-bike parts as I can.
I still have physical envelopes to push. There are plenty of aspirations remaining that I intend to check off of my life list (and to enjoy the ride in the process). Within the next five years, I do expect to build a canoe, as there's a wonderful lake to explore that's just a couple miles down the road from me. Who knows, I might even learn to fish.
Old 02-24-20, 07:49 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
A couple points.

Schwinn and Raleigh made tubes and parts in house because it was economical to do so rather than purchase from suppliers. Not because they thought it was cool. Schwinn is also famous for putting their branding on the components of Weinmann, Huret, Suntour, Shimano, etc... Ditto for Raleigh. For those parts it was economical to go out of house.

If you're looking to do this as a challenge, you are on the right track. If you're looking to do this to make a high quality bicycle, you're not. A close analogue is the French constructeurs of the 30s-70s; they built a lot of parts in-house in order to introduce features and innovations not on the market, but used parts from the market for components where they had nothing to contribute by making it themselves.

A few examples:

The fork crowns made by Herse and Routens and others. Special fender mounting points and dynamo routing not found on commercial fork crowns of the time. Also, the tandem crowns made by these builders were strong but lighter than commercially-available tandem crowns.

Alex Singer cam brakes were a fantastic design that achieved strong and rigid braking, but could only be used with special brazed-on mounts, so had to be home-made. Ditto for the desmodronic front derailleurs built by Herse, Routens, Dujardin, CS Hirose, and others. However, for rear derailleurs they often just modified commercial derailleurs like Huret, Cyclo, Nivex, etc... A good example of how they did homemade only when it improved the design or aesthetic, but used commercial products when practical.

Last edited by TenGrainBread; 02-24-20 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-24-20, 10:09 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
In a pure DIY, what would be the hardest thing to do, making ball bearings? Refining the metals from ore? Butting the tubes? :-)
Old 02-24-20, 03:12 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by USAZorro
I still have physical envelopes to push. There are plenty of aspirations remaining that I intend to check off of my life list (and to enjoy the ride in the process). Within the next five years, I do expect to build a canoe, as there's a wonderful lake to explore that's just a couple miles down the road from me. Who knows, I might even learn to fish.
I wholeheartedly recommend that you pursue the art of fishing. There is no finer activity on the planet. I've fished since I was a small boy, and I raised my son on it, and I'm now raising my grandson to fish.
Old 02-24-20, 03:21 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

I wholeheartedly recommend that you pursue the art of fishing. There is no finer activity on the planet. I've fished since I was a small boy, and I raised my son on it, and I'm now raising my grandson to fish.
You call it "fishing". I call it "feeding fish slowly".
Old 02-24-20, 03:43 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2342 Post(s)
Liked 2,841 Times in 1,548 Posts
Make a tubular tire https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/...-tubulars.html

Old 02-24-20, 03:50 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,359 Posts
I'm beginning to think that this thread will be just an "idea thread," and will be referenced to which in an actual build thread, which will probably be in another forum. Also, I am beginning to like the idea of a recumbent for this.

Pick out something that isn't easily available elsewhere.

Still, a Recumbent will be using standard spokes, nipples, hubs, rims, tires, tubes, shifters, etc. Nonetheless, there would be plenty to put your own signature on the bike.

If you are intent on more of a display piece, then consider a "Burning Man Bicycle". Perhaps a Triangle wheel bike?

Or, some kind of 1800's homage bicycles. So, a Penny Farthing where many parts just aren't easily, or cheaply found, and perhaps allowing some personalization of the build. And, maybe something that will be fun at shows, or a few times around the block, but not getting heavy use.
Old 02-24-20, 07:19 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 668 Posts
Interesting project that you have given yourself here. This is completely do-able. It sounds like you have the right skills. It will be good to follow.

The chain came up as an issue. One thought that I had was to use something like this stainless steel drive belt.

https://www.belttechnologies.com/timing-belts/

There are also ladder chains that pretty much look like a dog leash that could be used as a drive chain. You could even use a standard link chain. It would get peoples attention as a bespoke drive train for sure.

You could also use the same concept of the stainless steel belt with a leather belt with holes in the belt and pins on the cogs. The downside to this arrangement would be wear. It will work, but how long would it last? How good would it be in the rain?

Another thought on the drive system would be to use a shaft drive. This should not be to difficult to do for a machinist. This has been done before on bicycles but it is not common and you would be making the drive system your self. Buy the bevel gears and make the gear boxes.

Since you are leaning toward a recumbent, I was also thinking of using a crank on the rear wheel that would of course be outside the frame with bearings in the frame.

Another idea that I always wanted to explore is to use a hydraulic pump at the pedals and a hydraulic motor in the rear hub. With a recumbent and the long distance between the pedals and drive wheel, this could be advantageous. These parts can be gotten from tractors and tractor accessories. I don't know how a 60 to 90 rpm cadence would work with a hydraulic pump. They usually spin faster, but since oil is not compressible the issue would be with friction and how efficient the pump is. That is if you get really tight clearances on the pump, the friction might be higher. If you go for less friction, there might me more fluid that gets past the lobes of the pump. If you don't do it, I might try it when I retire. By that time no one will want a bike that you will actually have to pedal. Or perhaps just having a bike that you will actually pedal will be novel and old fashioned.
Old 02-25-20, 02:42 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

At some point I aspire to build my own canoe
OT but dear to my heart, my dad and I build a strip canoe when I was 14.....as much to help him quit smoking as anything. it made many trips down the missouri river in Montana

there are a lot of ways to go, but here are some ideas (I am thinking it is time to build a kayayk)

canoe https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/...ver-canoe.html

small canoe https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/...ack-canoe.html

kaysk I am looking at https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/...ter-sport.html

Old 02-25-20, 03:13 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by squirtdad
OT but dear to my heart, my dad and I build a strip canoe when I was 14.....as much to help him quit smoking as anything. it made many trips down the missouri river in Montana

there are a lot of ways to go, but here are some ideas (I am thinking it is time to build a kayayk)

canoe https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/...ver-canoe.html

small canoe https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/...ack-canoe.html

kaysk I am looking at https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/...ter-sport.html
Those are stunning. I'm actually considering Kevlar. (me, a die hard who will only ride steel bikes - go figure right?) It'll go on top of my vehicle, and it needs to be light enough for me to manage without assistance. Might go for building a kayak also, but one thing at a time.
Old 02-25-20, 03:33 PM
squirtdad

Those are stunning. I'm actually considering Kevlar. (me, a die hard who will only ride steel bikes - go figure right?) It'll go on top of my vehicle, and it needs to be light enough for me to manage without assistance. Might go for building a kayak also, but one thing at a time.
skin on frame

Skin on Frame Canoe (SOF) build-along - jonsbushcraft.com

Old 02-26-20, 05:41 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Its interesting that you should post this. I've been thinking of something like this. I've done a lot of canoeing in my day, but now I'm getting too old to huff and puff heavy boats over portages and in and out of transportation. A nice lightweight craft would be sweet.
Old 02-26-20, 08:45 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
See if you can make an improved bicycle design.

Check out this idea. Maybe make a variation of it.

Likes For alo:
Old 02-26-20, 10:58 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by alo
See if you can make an improved bicycle design.

Check out this idea. Maybe make a variation of it.
Now that is cool!
Old 02-26-20, 11:07 AM
Meflselo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How many changes have taken place since it came to modern appearance
Old 02-26-20, 11:33 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 723 Times in 398 Posts
If duration is not a problem, you could use bushings, also a V belt drive and solid rubber tires. I've seen strips of rubber with an imbedded wire that you cut to length leaving some wire exposed at the ends, put the rubber strip on the rim and twisted the wire to tighten.
Old 02-26-20, 11:47 AM
squirtdad

Its interesting that you should post this. I've been thinking of something like this. I've done a lot of canoeing in my day, but now I'm getting too old to huff and puff heavy boats over portages and in and out of transportation. A nice lightweight craft would be sweet.
lots of different plans etc out there this one is 20 lbs SnowShoe 14 - Geodesic AiroLITE Boats

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 03-03-20, 11:08 AM
Soup_Please

Bikes: '58 Paramount Track; '69 Lejeune; 2014 MAP S&P Project; 2018 Ritchey Road Breakaway; 2021 Ritchey Outback; 2022 Gilmour

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I admire your resolve! I’m not remembering the title at the moment, but I read a book last year on the history of cycling in The Netherlands. During Nazi occupation, tires were impossible to find but bicycles were essential to foraging for food, firewood, etc. one substitute was to wrap rims with rope. I don’t think it made for a very comfortable ride, but the overall idea of using cloth or twine would apply.
The book you are talking about is "In the City of Bikes" by Pete Jordan. It is a great read.