Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Greetings from Indianapolis...

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-20, 10:31 AM
oldtimeyirv
Cannon-dad

Bikes: Cannondales, Columbus Schwinn, old GTs, too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 12 Posts

Hello! I have been reading the forums for a while now and thought I would finally join the party.

I live and work in Indianapolis with my wife and young son. Part-time commuter when the weather allows, and working toward a family fleet so I can ride for fun again. Full-time tinkerer, slowly expanding my mechanic knowledge.

My commuter is a 1983 Fuji Monterey frankenbike (a rusted/busted "gift" from a friend). I also own a 1988 Cannondale SR500 (swap meet find from my time in Chicago), early 80s Nishiki Olympic 12 Mixte ($25 moneypit, but my wife is in LOVE...), 1995 GT Timberline (ongoing tinkering/drop-bar conversion project, soft spot for the funky frame), 2010 Cannondale CAAD9 with too many bells and whistles (22 yr olds w/ a bike shop employee discount is dangerous), and a few random frames/boxes of parts/wheels. My family has started asking for bikes now, so I am currently setting my mom up with an early 90s GT Arette with some pretty RAD purple/pink splatter paint (craigslist is like the wild west).

I started riding BMX bikes as a kid and rediscovered "riding" toward the end of college. I caught the bike bug when I moved to Chicago after college and did not have a car. Commuted around Chicago for a few years and now Indianapolis, rode a little bit for fitness, but mostly for enjoyment. Hoping to share the passion with my young son, he loves to "fix" bikes with me in the garage.

Fun fact: I like to pretend bikes and tinkering are how I spend my "beer money" these days... turns out I just finally make a decent wage! My bike habit seems to far outpace my drinking habit anymore ... My wife doesn't seem to mind!

Excited to share some projects and join in the discussions!
Old 12-03-20, 10:39 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Howdy and Welcome to Bike Forums.

Moved from Beech Grove in 1970 to Texas.

Completed 500 Miles on The Speedway 500 Mile Race Track. Tour De Cure Rides

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 12-03-20, 10:41 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by oldtimeyirv
Hello! I have been reading the forums for a while now and thought I would finally join the party.

I live and work in Indianapolis with my wife and young son. Part-time commuter when the weather allows, and working toward a family fleet so I can ride for fun again. Full-time tinkerer, slowly expanding my mechanic knowledge.

My commuter is a 1983 Fuji Monterey frankenbike (a rusted/busted "gift" from a friend). I also own a 1988 Cannondale SR500 (swap meet find from my time in Chicago), early 80s Nishiki Olympic 12 Mixte ($25 moneypit, but my wife is in LOVE...), 1995 GT Timberline (ongoing tinkering/drop-bar conversion project, soft spot for the funky frame), 2010 Cannondale CAAD9 with too many bells and whistles (22 yr olds w/ a bike shop employee discount is dangerous), and a few random frames/boxes of parts/wheels. My family has started asking for bikes now, so I am currently setting my mom up with an early 90s GT Arette with some pretty RAD purple/pink splatter paint (craigslist is like the wild west).

I started riding BMX bikes as a kid and rediscovered "riding" toward the end of college. I caught the bike bug when I moved to Chicago after college and did not have a car. Commuted around Chicago for a few years and now Indianapolis, rode a little bit for fitness, but mostly for enjoyment. Hoping to share the passion with my young son, he loves to "fix" bikes with me in the garage.

Fun fact: I like to pretend bikes and tinkering are how I spend my "beer money" these days... turns out I just finally make a decent wage! My bike habit seems to far outpace my drinking habit anymore ... My wife doesn't seem to mind!

Excited to share some projects and join in the discussions!
Nice Intro. Have Fun Posting.

Old 12-03-20, 10:44 AM
oldtimeyirv
Cannon-dad

Riding on the track would be wild! We live out in Irvington, the city is getting more and more "bike-friendly".

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 12-03-20, 10:48 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Riding on the track would be wild! We live out in Irvington, the city is getting more and more "bike-friendly".

Thanks for the welcome!

Once the track had TWO Pacelines Racing at 35 mph

Old 12-03-20, 11:06 AM
oldtimeyirv
Cannon-dad

Did the banking cause any issues? I can't imagine doing that distance. I will have to look into whether or not the still do that kind of event... well post COVID anyway.
Old 12-03-20, 11:09 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Did the banking cause any issues? I can't imagine doing that distance. I will have to look into whether or not the still do that kind of event... well post COVID anyway.
They had a Death on The TDC(2016) and stopped the event
Now the Track has been Sold

Photobucket

Old 12-03-20, 11:16 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Likes For 10 Wheels: