Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Converting adjustable boom recumbent to a trike?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-11, 10:05 PM
globalrider
BrooklynRocks

Bikes: BikeE AT,Worksman Trike w/kidseating, Cannondale Mt bike, Counterpoint presto project, vintage Columbia Trike project, projects galore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love my BikeE and my vintage Workmans trike and I have been thinking about a way to create a ride with the advantages of both. I already own a vintage counterpoint Presto, photo attached, and was trying to figure a way to install a beam running across it with two forks without having ready access to a welder. I would like to know dimensions of tadpole trikes out there already. How far the front wheels are from the rear.
If anyone have any ideas or can share a link from inspiration it would be greatly appreciated. I will post progress reports.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF1840.jpg (92.3 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by globalrider; 10-15-11 at 10:08 PM. Reason: made more complete
Old 10-15-11, 11:38 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 400 Posts
Originally Posted by globalrider
I love my BikeE and my vintage Workmans trike and I have been thinking about a way to create a ride with the advantages of both. I already own a vintage counterpoint Presto, photo attached, and was trying to figure a way to install a beam running across it with two forks without having ready access to a welder. I would like to know dimensions of tadpole trikes out there already. How far the front wheels are from the rear.
If anyone have any ideas or can share a link from inspiration it would be greatly appreciated. I will post progress reports.
Counterpoint made a trike version of the Presto, with a cross beam holding a pair of forks. It was a fairly elaborate piece of fabrication, though, not something I would attempt without very good machining and welding skills.

Also, a trike like this is very high off the ground (a friend had one). This is a pretty unstable configuration since the center of gravity is so high. Most factory-built recumbent trikes are quite low for stability.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 10-21-11, 01:19 PM
Floyd
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jeff has a good point on the 'center of gravity' . Sitting that high on a trike would be a danger in any corner. Maybe a good idea in the mind but not in reality. And it would not be possible in my estimation without the welding and some engineering skills.
keep on biking / triking.