Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pot that won’t burn rice

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pot that won’t burn rice

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-23, 05:53 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
If I were in your situation, I would try just putting in excess water, boil the rice until done, and then strain: cooked, unburned rice. The minute rice suggestion might save some fuel.
My, personal, solution is couscous. Put it in water, about 1:1, bring it to a boil, turn off the heat, and let it sit a couple of minutes. For a change, make it with a bullion cube, or simmer some dried meat for a minute or two before adding the couscous.
Old 10-03-23, 03:21 PM
dvdwmth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
This turned out to be a total flop. The lot I used was fine. Whoever pointed to my stove as the biggest problem gets a gold star. It does boil, boil harder, and off. I had to lift the pot off the fire and hold it, then put it back, for the whole cooking time. I went through a small stove canister in three days. It’s really only useful for rehydrating instant foods and brewing beverages.

on top of that, by the time I was making dinner I didn’t really care what I was eating. I ate cold serial and powdered milk for dinner at least two nights.

My number one most valuable food was peanut butter and bread. Pasta was a more enjoyable meal when I cooked.

I think I’m trying the beer can stove next, but im saving the good rice for home.
Old 10-03-23, 07:07 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18431 Post(s)
Liked 15,585 Times in 7,339 Posts
The main reason I like my MSR Dragonfly. Highly adjustable, from a slow simmer to full on jet engine boil. And the noise at full power scares away critters.

I’m the pasta master.

Last edited by indyfabz; 10-03-23 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-04-23, 07:31 PM
dvdwmth

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
If I were in your situation, I would try just putting in excess water, boil the rice until done, and then strain: cooked, unburned rice. The minute rice suggestion might save some fuel.
My, personal, solution is couscous. Put it in water, about 1:1, bring it to a boil, turn off the heat, and let it sit a couple of minutes. For a change, make it with a bullion cube, or simmer some dried meat for a minute or two before adding the couscous.
Couscous is a good idea. I’ll try taking some next trip.

I did use that cooking method after my first attempt. It wasn’t good enough for the trouble. I’ll just take instant next time assuming I take rice at all.

Last edited by dvdwmth; 10-04-23 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-05-23, 04:14 AM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
The other day, I did remember a technique I read of, but have never tried, for cooking rice. Bring the rice and water to a boil at breakfast time and then decant into an appropriately sized thermos bottle. The rice stays hot enough and a dinner you pour it out and, voila! cooked rice.
Niliraga suggested a similar idea above.
Old 10-05-23, 08:53 PM
irc

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Pacer, Spa Steel Tourer, Kona Kula

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
I've been using this stove on a month tour because I wanted one with a broad flame when turned down low. It has worked. It can blast out heat to boil water but also simmer well. A slight weight penalty over tiny stoves that fit direct to a canister but worth it IMO

https://us.alpkit.com/products/koro?...34102640803884
Old 10-05-23, 10:43 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
If you like to cook, I’d go with a liquid fuel stove. You can cook with low heat and simmer for hours on 8 ounces of fuel.
Old 10-06-23, 03:49 AM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
The main reason I like my MSR Dragonfly. Highly adjustable, from a slow simmer to full on jet engine boil. And the noise at full power scares away critters.

I’m the pasta master.

Only problem with a Dragonfly is the thing sounds like a jet engine
Old 10-06-23, 10:35 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by plumberroy
Only problem with a Dragonfly is the thing sounds like a jet engine
As noted. During a trip last fall a campground owner came to my site to talk. I had the thing on high to bring water to a boil. I had to turn it down to hear what she was saying even though she was only about 6’ away. I did hear her say my dinner smelled good.
Old 10-06-23, 10:45 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by irc
I've been using this stove on a month tour because I wanted one with a broad flame when turned down low. It has worked. It can blast out heat to boil water but also simmer well. A slight weight penalty over tiny stoves that fit direct to a canister but worth it IMO

https://us.alpkit.com/products/koro?...34102640803884
“The advantage of a gas canister stove over a multi-fuel stove or liquid fuel stove is the ability to control the flame with a spin of a knob allowing you to cook rather than incinerate.”

As has been noted, there are liquid fuel stoves that can do this well. In addition to a Dragonfly, I have an Optimus Nova, which is also a liquid fuel stove. It too has great flame control.
Old 10-07-23, 08:31 AM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
…I have an Optimus Nova, which is also a liquid fuel stove. It too has great flame control.
Great stove, I have the exact same.