Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Always Nice When Maps Arrive

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-23, 05:26 PM
irc

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Pacer, Spa Steel Tourer, Kona Kula

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts

Given my sister posted two seperate birthday cards to my wife and neither card has arrived here 7 miles away after several weeks I was impressed when my Adventure Cycling maps made it from Montana to the UK in 6 days. Kudos to the Adventure Cycling, USPS and the Royal Mail.

Roll on September.

Likes For irc:
Old 04-30-23, 04:12 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by irc
Given my sister posted two seperate birthday cards to my wife and neither card has arrived here 7 miles away after several weeks I was impressed when my Adventure Cycling maps made it from Montana to the UK in 6 days. Kudos to the Adventure Cycling, USPS and the Royal Mail.

Roll on September.

Looks like some good choices for September...

Down the Pacific Coast from San Francisco - and then either Route 66 or Southern Tier to Arizona?
Old 04-30-23, 05:32 AM
irc

Originally Posted by mev
Looks like some good choices for September...

Down the Pacific Coast from San Francisco - and then either Route 66 or Southern Tier to Arizona?
Both. San rancisco to LA. Then Route 66 to Ash Fork or Williams depending on how my daily distances are going. Then via Prescott to Southern Tier to finish in San Diego.

Timings dictated by wanting to leave it as late as possible for crossing the Mojave while not going to far into short daylight days and still getting good weather on the coast. Hopefully hitting Big Sur on a weeekday post Labor Day. will be a good choice for a bit less traffic than weekends or peak summer.
Old 04-30-23, 03:46 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Irc, a while ago my mom mailed me an envelope from the Inverness Nairn area and it took forever and ever to arrive in Canada.
I'm sure you'll enjoy the Pacific coast trip, I did it, geez, 30 years ago now and it was really neat. Not flat though, so be sure you have low climbing gears.
Really cool how the landscape changes through Oregon, northern California, and down. San Francisco is a neat city to visit.
Old 04-30-23, 04:11 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Oops, didn't read properly, see that you are starting in San Francisco.
Old 05-03-23, 04:16 AM
irc

USA vaccine rules for tourists ending. Nice! One less bit of paper and potential hassle.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/biden-e...nal-travelers/

I am vacced but saves trying to recall my username etc for the UK website where it is all recorded. One less potential hassle.

My entry to the USA (about 10 since 2009) have almost always been hassle free. Last time at San Francisco though for some reason I got the third degree.

How long was I staying for? Who was I meeting? Did I have relatives here? Where was I going in the USA? Why? What did I like about the scenery? Whereabouts in Nevada? Whereabouts in Utah? Was I working? What was my occupation? Was I married? Why wasn't my wife here? Did I have children? What age were they? Who was looking after them? (they are all in their 30s) What model of bike was I riding? Is that like a racing bike? How much cash did I have with me?

On the one hand I wasn't fitting the usual holiday profile - couples or family - 2 weeks holiday. I was alone and here for 6 weeks. On the other hand anyone who was up to anything would be unlikely to be lugging a huge bike box with them.

Eventually what seemed to clinch it was when I told him that his computer should be able to confirm that I had entered the USA several times before alone for similar or longer time frames.