Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Podsacs fork mount bags (or similar) compatibility with older steel forks

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-23, 03:31 PM
stormy_ll

Bikes: Mercian, Claud Butler, Harry Quinn, BTwin, Johnny Berry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hello everybody,

I am looking to put some additional storage towards the front of my bike to accompany a set of rear panniers and am coming to the realisation that a front pannier rack probably wont be fitting on my bike (at least with these forks...)
I came across this style of cage attachment via hose clamp/zip ties and was wondering how people got on with these on a vintage steel tourer/sports tourer? The pictures on the website all seem to show modern aerofoil/profoundly oval shaped straight forks whereas my trusty steed has a rather spindly 531 stature. There is somewhat of an oval to them but I am a little concern that they may twist out of place when steering and hit into the wheel.

If anybody has any advice or experience with this combination I would be very appreciative

Thanks
Old 05-03-23, 05:11 PM
pigmonkey

Bikes: Rodriguez Rainier, Rodriguez Makeshift High Roller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a tapered, steel sports-tourer fork (though only 2012 vintage). I've never heard of Podsacs, but I use Cleaveland Mountaineering Fork Clamp Mounts to attach Cleaveland Mountaineering Everything Bags. They've been attached for about five years with no issue. I have complete confidence in them not slipping into the wheel. They haven't budged a millimeter.

I first wrapped the fork with helicopter tape. This is mostly to protect the paint, but also adds a bit more friction and may help in preventing things from sliding around. The hose clamps I use are German-made Norma Torro Worm Drive, which are much higher quality than the pot-metal hose clamps you often find at the local hardware store (at least here in the US). I'm not sure if they make the setup more secure, but they definitely help my psychological comfort.

I apparently am not yet allowed to post photos or URLs to photos here, but I have photos that are probably useful to understanding the setup. I'll see if I can send them in a private message. (Edit: Nope, can't send messages either. If you go to Flickr and append "photos/pigmonkey/albums/72157628707079179/" to the URL you'll see an album of bike photos, many of which show the mounts.)
Old 05-04-23, 02:48 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
A friend of mine installed a mounting system on her carbon fork that used two way tape and zip ties, then attached Salsa Anything cages to her fork with that. On one side the two way tape shifted out of place slightly, but other than that they appeared to work well. I thought that the zip ties were a bit loose although she said she had tightened them as tight as she could.

That is my only knowledge of something similar to what you describe.

You described your goal is to put more weight in the front of your bike, but did not elaborate further. From that I assume you have no extra weight on the front at all. One option would be a bikepacking harness that would hold a dry bag below your handlebar.

Example in this photo, I met this gal during my last tour before covid, she was having a great time on her tour. Note what she has under her handlebar.

I do not use that type of harness, so I can't elaborate further. If that interests you, others on this forum may have more thoughts on the matter.