Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

three-way wrenches

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

three-way wrenches

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-23, 09:52 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,833 Times in 829 Posts
Re Snap-On: I think they are the only manufacturer of 1/4" drive 15 mm thin wall sockets - perfect for carrying in the toolbag to work on nutted hubs where racks or other protuberances make it hard to get a standard wrench in, and also to tighten shiny Sugino crank bolts. Not cheap, but very useful.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 05-25-23, 06:50 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
When someone mentions a three-way wrench, I think of this:

I've owned this 8-9-10 Y wrench for over 40 years. I originally purchased it in the bicycle section of a local Yellow Front variety store - it's interesting that several of the Taiwanese tools I bought at Yellow Front are still in front-line use.
RC, nice photo, great background.

I have three 3-ways:

3-way wrenches

The oldest one is similar to yours, an HKC from Japan, purchased circa 1974, used it on the old Raleigh Grand Prix. Seldom-used today. The original Park AWS1 hex gets used all the time, a favorite tool. The green Park is for Torx, bought it to use with one stem with Torx bolts. Little-used otherwise.

EDIT: I am just learning that HKC is Hozan.

Last edited by BCDrums; 05-25-23 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-25-23, 08:37 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,775 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
When someone mentions a three-way wrench, I think of this:

I've owned this 8-9-10 Y wrench for over 40 years. I originally purchased it in the bicycle section of a local Yellow Front variety store - it's interesting that several of the Taiwanese tools I bought at Yellow Front are still in front-line use.

This wrench rides in my shop apron when I'm working at Rusty Spoke, Recycle Your Bicycle, or other place, and has seen heavy use its entire life - and just keeps working. I have had to grind it down a bit over the decades to correct any rounding of the hexes, but at current rates it's good for another century or so.
Yeah, my second-favorite tool. Mine is a Park, and looks identical (except for the color coding!).
Old 05-25-23, 10:28 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,087 Times in 3,826 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
It is a shop tool for a professional mechanic. It is an expensive tool-ish but in the end it is designed to last for a long long time. So initially expensive but if it lasts for a while and can adapt to ever changing chain sizes it is not a bad deal. It also feels really good in the hand. I put mine in the hand of someone who knows little about bikes and bike tools and certainly had no idea what the heck this thing was but is knowledgeable about quality tools and they wanted one.

I won't say go out and buy one, I love the tool, it is pretty, it is super functional and feels really good in all forms and functions, but it is expensive for a home mechanic and someone how may not be using it often. I will admit yeah if I hadn't bought it during their Monday sale they do each year I probably wouldn't own one and really it is just jewelry in the box but if people can wear diamonds and gold surely I can have an emerald that also breaks chains ; )
I get it. All of the Abbey stuff is intended to be the best of the best, and for people who use those tools for their livelihood, durability and feel matter. I'm also not opposed to some toolbox bling.