Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Changing cables on road handlebars

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-10, 02:18 PM
wunderkind
Pro Paper Plane Pilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Is there a creative way to change brake cables without removal of the bar tape? I think the brake cable is tucked inside the bar tape. I guess i can carefully insert the cable wire through the sleeves. Hmm... neat to think this through. Really want to avoid removing bar tape as it is new!
Old 10-06-10, 03:02 PM
mike_s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cable, or housing? You should be able to replace the cable easily, especially if you silver solder the end before trying to push it through.
Old 10-06-10, 03:42 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Put it this way. It's a good time to learn how to wrap bar tape.

some levers make it impossible to route a cable through the lever to the housing due to the bends in the design.
Old 10-06-10, 03:46 PM
wunderkind
Pro Paper Plane Pilot

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
But the bar tape is brand new!!!! I don't want to remove it if possible.
Old 10-06-10, 03:51 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
As previously posted, if you have a smooth soldered end to the cable so that it does not catch you should be able to push it through the housing, esp if the cable is high quality stainless steel. There is of course no way to replace housing w/out removing the bar tape.
Old 10-06-10, 03:58 PM
rydaddy
Type 1 Racer

Bikes: A dozen or so.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can re-wrap bar tape.
Old 10-07-10, 01:29 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
If you mean the housings, you could install double ferrules where the housings exit the tape...

Originally Posted by AEO
some levers make it impossible to route a cable through the lever to the housing due to the bends in the design.
I've never come across any like that, and if I did, I'd piff em for a design that isn't so damn ******3d.

Speaking of ******3d, ******3d is not an expletive, it's a quite proper word used for much more than indicating the developmental shortcomings of others, and censoring it is not only condescending and inconvenient, it's... take a guess.

A ridiculously long censored word list is no sort of replacement for proper moderation.

Last edited by Kimmo; 10-07-10 at 01:36 AM.
Old 10-07-10, 01:34 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

dp
Old 10-07-10, 06:13 AM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Speaking of ******3d, ******3d is not an expletive, it's a quite proper word used for much more than indicating the developmental shortcomings of others, and censoring it is not only condescending and inconvenient, it's... take a guess..
But using the word for someone who does not actually have a diagnosable mental deficiency IS offensive to those who actually have the condition or have loved ones with the condition. But by all means feel free to be offensive.
Old 10-07-10, 06:36 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Back to our regularly scheduled programming. Like Kimmo, I've never come across an aero brake lever or brifter that didn't have a reasonably straight path to the housing stop from the cable anchor so threading a new cable without removing the housing is pretty straight forward. You do want the end of the wire to be smooth and free from loose strands and soldering is the best way to be sure.
Old 10-07-10, 08:38 AM
wunderkind
Pro Paper Plane Pilot

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
OK.... I looked at the Shimano tech doc. Here's what I plan to do.

Removal of Cable
  1. Unclamp the brake cable bolt so that the cable is free.
  2. Loosen barrel adjuster to allow cable to move freely
  3. Tilt the brifter forward
  4. Use a needle-nose plier and take the cable out.

Installing new cable
  • Insert new cable via the tilted brifter head.
  • Keep inserting it that it will enter the housing?
  • If all goes well, it will reach the brake bolt
  • Home free!

Think this will work and avoid from having the remove the bar tape?
Old 10-07-10, 08:51 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
an additional bene sugg : file a little bit of point on the end of the cable, chamfer..
easy to do if its soldered.
that will go around bends, etc., easier than the square cut end.
Old 10-07-10, 09:25 AM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I've replaced brake cables w/o removing the housing. You shouldn't need to use needle-nose pliers to remove the cable...just pushing the cable from the brake side where it enters the housing will push the plug-end out the front of the brake handle.

No need to loosen the barrel adjuster as once you release the fixing bolt, the cable will be loose.

For installation, angle of attack is critical...don't force it...use a flashlight. If you're unable to solder/file the end, I find slowly turning the cable in the opposite direction of the twist (so I think that would be counter-clockwise) helps the cable not to unravel.

Use a rubber band to band the brake handle to the bars to hold it open so you have both hands free (flashlight in your mouth, of course).

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 10-07-10, 10:37 AM
wunderkind
Pro Paper Plane Pilot

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
^ excellent tips!!! thanks!
Old 10-07-10, 07:35 PM
badamsjr
17yrold in 64yrold body

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With brifters, the easiest way I have found to replace brake cables (not housings), is to unscrew the nut holding the brifter in place on the bar, insert the cable through the brifter, into the housing, and push it in until it can be pulled out the other end of the housing, then remount the brifter. Has saved me from re-wrapping tape.

This is after having pulled back the hood covering the lower part of the brifter.
Old 10-07-10, 10:37 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by badamsjr
With brifters, the easiest way I have found to replace brake cables (not housings), is to unscrew the nut holding the brifter in place on the bar, insert the cable through the brifter, into the housing, and push it in until it can be pulled out the other end of the housing, then remount the brifter. Has saved me from re-wrapping tape.

This is after having pulled back the hood covering the lower part of the brifter.
You take the shifter completely off the handlebar? Seems like an unnecessary step.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 10-08-10, 12:01 AM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I normally try pushing the new cable through with the brifter attached first. This normally doesn't work, so I then remove the brifter and thread the cable through that first, then through the housing, then reattach the brifter.
Old 10-08-10, 12:33 AM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If you mean the housings, you could install double ferrules where the housings exit the tape...

I've never come across any like that, and if I did, I'd piff em for a design that isn't so damn ******3d.

Speaking of ******3d, ******3d is not an expletive, it's a quite proper word used for much more than indicating the developmental shortcomings of others, and censoring it is not only condescending and inconvenient, it's... take a guess.

A ridiculously long censored word list is no sort of replacement for proper moderation.
it's pretty standard for campy ergo levers, I find.
shimano STI levers fair a bit better.

Originally Posted by rydaddy
You can re-wrap bar tape.
yeah, I've never seen bar tape that was one shot only. Even the ones that tear easily, like cinelli cork, won't tear if you're careful when unwrapping it. There's also no need to unwrap beyond the lever and the tape will have some bends in it from conforming to the bars and cables, which makes it rather easy to rewrap it.

Last edited by AEO; 10-08-10 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-08-10, 09:06 PM
badamsjr
17yrold in 64yrold body

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_W
I normally try pushing the new cable through with the brifter attached first. This normally doesn't work, so I then remove the brifter and thread the cable through that first, then through the housing, then reattach the brifter.
Same here. Have not had any luck getting the cable to go through the brifter into the housing. It does not take much effort or time to take it loose, thread the cable, then reattach it.
Old 10-08-10, 09:18 PM
amillerinmaine

Bikes: Raleigh 12sp road, Specialized Hard Rock MTB, 1977 Schwinn Hurricane 5-speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you really want to have 'fun', try replacing the cables on bar end shifters after the fact................
Old 10-08-10, 11:40 PM
Deanster04

Bikes: Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If the cable housing is properly seated in the ferrule and the ferrule is seated in the lever you should be able to get the cable to insert into the housing. Use a small flash light (penlight) and tie the levers down to get a good view of the ferrule within the lever you should be able to feed the cable. If it doesn't go in easily insert the cable through the lever cable stop and using the flash light feed the end of the cable into the housing (takes some patience). when you are successful carefully pull the cable through and take care not to crimp the cable when pulling the cable past the lever cable end stop. Good luck.
Old 10-09-10, 12:05 AM
wunderkind
Pro Paper Plane Pilot

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Done it this evening. It was actually easier than expected.
Old 11-08-10, 07:23 PM
krater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by amillerinmaine
If you really want to have 'fun', try replacing the cables on bar end shifters after the fact................
That's exactly what I was looking to do. What's the secret?
Old 11-09-10, 10:52 PM
Kimmo

Forgot to mention twirling the cable... it helps no end.

Haven't worked on later Ergolevers, but the original ones were okay; I never had to remove them to replace cables.

Originally Posted by cranky old road
But using the word for someone who does not actually have a diagnosable mental deficiency IS offensive to those who actually have the condition or have loved ones with the condition. But by all means feel free to be offensive.
If a person designs a stupid component, I see no problem with diagnosing them, and their design as ******3d.

Unlike a condition such as Down's Syndrome, which has a very specific meaning, ******3d is a very broad term that merely implies some sort of developmental deficiency and as such can be correctly thrown at almost anyone given the right context. Perhaps there's a highly specific medical meaning for the term, but the general sense predates the medical context.

I'd suggest that some folks need to develop a thicker skin, lest the entire notion of political correctness is discredited entirely.

Oh wait, that happened already...
Old 11-10-10, 06:57 AM
cranky old road 
Let your bike be the tool

Bikes: '66 Raleigh Carlton, '70 Ron Cooper, '95 Bianchi CD'I, Zonal Frame with Xenon gruppo, Carbon Frame with Record Gruppo, Columbia Twosome, Terry Classic, Bianchi SX, Gravity SS/FG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 194 Posts
If a person designs a stupid component, I see no problem with diagnosing them, and their design as ******3d.

Unlike a condition such as Down's Syndrome, which has a very specific meaning, ******3d is a very broad term that merely implies some sort of developmental deficiency and as such can be correctly thrown at almost anyone given the right context. Perhaps there's a highly specific medical meaning for the term, but the general sense predates the medical context.
I challenge your assumptions about the term's etymology as you use it. As I stated earlier feel free to be offensive to individuals who have had the term applied to them medically and find its pejorative use quite hurtful, as well as to their families.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.