Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

removing dropout set screws..?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-10, 07:16 PM
surreal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

i just picked up an old frame with campy semi-horizontal dropouts. they have some set screws, that i'd like to retain, but i gotta have the frame refinished. how do i go about this? i'd fiddle with them, but i don't want to hurt them. also, what's the best way to mask them off for the powdercoater? i'll probably ask the guys at the metal finisher, but i wanna be armed with suggestions, in case he's stumped...

thanks
-rob
Old 11-10-10, 07:23 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
they're just nuts with bolts.
Old 11-10-10, 07:30 PM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AEO
they're just nuts with bolts.
word? so i can simply grab the knurled nut hard, and back it out with a tiny flathead?

-rob
Old 11-10-10, 07:32 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
The knobs on the outside of the frame are caps. Hold the screw from the axle side of the dropout, then unscrew the from the axle side to remove.
Old 11-10-10, 07:34 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
cap on the back is a nut, it unscrews and then you unscrew the bolt forward with a screwdriver..

or it's rusted in place, then you just break off both ends and call it done.
Old 11-10-10, 07:38 PM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
it moves fine; i'll have em off in a minute. How should i mask the threads for the metAl finishers, do y'all reckon?

-rob
Old 11-10-10, 07:42 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Definitely remove them before painting the frame.

Screw off the little knurled nut at the end of the screw that's sticking out the back of the dropout. If it's been on there a long time it might need some penetrating oil and a torch. You'll need a long thin screwdriver to keep the screw from turning as you torque the nut, since the way you adjust them in the first place is by turning that nut with your fingers. Careful use of pliers, trying not to mar the knurlings, is OK if finger torque working against the screwdriver won't break it loose. Then use the same screwdriver to unscrew the screw, backing it out through the dropout. They don't look bent or particularly rusty so they should come out OK. If they are seized in place and heat and oil won't let the screwdriver turn them you are SOL.

Make sure your painter keeps the paint out of those tiny deep holes with their fine threads.
Grease them well when you put them back in and tighten the nuts only finger tight, just tight enough so that when you turn the nut counterclockwise, the screw turns but the nut stays on. Try not to let them get bent from banging stuff into the protruding ends.

If you are using modern derailleurs with B-tensioning screws you usually don't need these screws at all but they do make a classic bike look more complete. (If you are using a period-correct derailleur like a Campy NR or SR, you definitely do need the screws to find the optimal "set" to keep the jockey pulley from rattling against the biggest cog.)

Last edited by conspiratemus1; 11-10-10 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Laughing because 5 responses, including 2 from the OP, came while I was making mine!
Old 11-10-10, 07:49 PM
mikeyb1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talk to your powder coater. The guy I used had a series of gadgets/plugs to fill holes and he made sure there was no coating in the shifter mounts and bottle cage thread holes. Same for the set-screw holes. A good powder coater knows not to let powder get where it isn't supposed to go. Also, talk to him about the cable guides on the top tube. If the powder goes on too thick the cable may not slide right through.

Good luck with that nishiki ultimate frame. I was looking at it on CL and thought it was a neat frame.

Mike
Old 11-10-10, 07:52 PM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
they're out; no issues. i'm figuring i can do my best to mask it/make it clear that i don't want powder in there, but i can get all que sera sera if the threads get buggered and i end up not using them again. i'm rocking a b-screw equipped rd...

i'm psyched. just gotta remove the headset, pick out the right color, and i'm off...

-rob
Old 11-10-10, 07:56 PM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeyb1
Talk to your powder coater. The guy I used had a series of gadgets/plugs to fill holes and he made sure there was no coating in the shifter mounts and bottle cage thread holes. Same for the set-screw holes. A good powder coater knows not to let powder get where it isn't supposed to go. Also, talk to him about the cable guides on the top tube. If the powder goes on too thick the cable may not slide right through.

Good luck with that nishiki ultimate frame. I was looking at it on CL and thought it was a neat frame.

Mike
Thanks. =D

The frame is very nice. the finish, not so much. the headset is really pimp; it's just a levin, but it's got "tange-seiki levin japan" stamped on it, and the newer ones i've got don't. it is also in, like, perfect condition. Rolls smooth, too. i'm fairly stoked. Dude selling it posts on BF sometimes; really nice guy.

-rob
Old 11-10-10, 07:57 PM
sdold
Hi, folks

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
If you are using modern derailleurs with B-tensioning screws you usually don't need these screws at all but they do make a classic bike look more complete. (If you are using a period-correct derailleur like a Campy NR or SR, you definitely do need the screws to find the optimal "set" to keep the jockey pulley from rattling against the biggest cog.)
Aren't these screws for aligning the axle?
Old 11-10-10, 07:57 PM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
oh, and thanks, everyone, for advice re: prep for powder and prep for reinstallation.

much appreciated
-rob
Old 11-10-10, 08:02 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You need to tap chase them back out to clean the threads up when the frame comes back

size M3 x 0.5 tp mm
Old 11-10-10, 08:09 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by sdold
Aren't these screws for aligning the axle?
Well, yes. You find the right fore-and-aft position for the right-side screw that lets the derailler ride properly, then you use the left-side screw to align the axle so the wheel is centred. But if you left the screws out you could just pull the axle all the way back into both dropouts and that should also centre the wheel, just as if you had modern vertical dropouts. I suppose the screws do allow some tolerance for error in brazing the dropouts exactly opposite each other....
Old 11-11-10, 05:54 AM
Deanster04

Bikes: Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
you should use a small standsrd screwdriver to insert into the slot on the axel side of the adjustment screw. Twist off the cap on the back side then back the screw out from the inside using the flathead screw driver. Don't force it. Use a bit of penetrating oil and let it sit over night. I removed a pair from a 40 year old frame with just a little coaxing. Good luck. Oh, replacements are available from old school bike shops.
Old 11-11-10, 05:56 AM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Deanster04
you should use a small standsrd screwdriver to insert into the slot on the axel side of the adjustment screw. Twist off the cap on the back side then back the screw out from the inside using the flathead screw driver. Don't force it. Use a bit of penetrating oil and let it sit over night. I removed a pair from a 40 year old frame with just a little coaxing. Good luck. Oh, replacements are available from old school bike shops.
Haha, thanks, but they're out! No issues, and the screws look fine; they're being held in a little baggies until reassembly time.

Thank you, everyone, for your help on this little "project" =D
-rob