Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1984 Fuji Touring series III

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1984 Fuji Touring series III

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-17, 08:19 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Lovenutz
I'm going off what I read in the 1982 catalog. It's in the italicized part. It says Fuji developed VAlite in tandem with one of the worlds leading bike tubing manufacturers. I think Ishiwata?

Might be tough to read. If you go to the link it's easier to see.
Attachment 575704
https://www.classicfuji.com/1982_04_I...tion3_Page.htm

Wow. That is pretty cool if it's true. I've not heard of aluminum being used to alloy steel before. Titanium yes, steel no. I'd love to find out more about this. Still, I have a sneaking suspicion that there is an error in translation somewhere. Chrome-vanadium steel would make so much more sense, as it has been used since the early days of cycling.
Old 08-10-17, 08:50 PM
Lovenutz
kVp & m*s

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount... someday

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Wow. That is pretty cool if it's true. I've not heard of aluminum being used to alloy steel before. Titanium yes, steel no. I'd love to find out more about this. Still, I have a sneaking suspicion that there is an error in translation somewhere. Chrome-vanadium steel would make so much more sense, as it has been used since the early days of cycling.
What I do know, is that I know absolutely nothing about metallurgy lol. It is entirely possible it could have been a translation error. Yeah, if anyone else has any information I would love to know more.
Old 08-11-17, 11:12 AM
JT1973

Bikes: 1973 Jack Taylor ToB, 1974 or '75 LeJeune Champ du Monde (possibly from the Carre Shop), 1971 Motobecane Le Champion, 1980s Rodriguez frame (future 650b conversion project)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've ridden an '84 touring series iii in the 25-inch size for 5 years now. I converted it to 700c wheels briefly. The braking was mediocre due to the stock cantilever brakes which are the t-rex arms of dia-compes line. I think shimano be-60 or 62 would do a better job.

Anyway, bike served me well as kid shlepper and heavily loaded commuter. Ready to sell it now as we're planning to move. Mine isn't stock anymore but recieved it as such, minus the seat.

Enjoy your new ride!
Leif
Old 08-11-17, 11:26 AM
Lovenutz
kVp & m*s

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JT1973
I've ridden an '84 touring series iii in the 25-inch size for 5 years now. I converted it to 700c wheels briefly. The braking was mediocre due to the stock cantilever brakes which are the t-rex arms of dia-compes line. I think shimano be-60 or 62 would do a better job.

Anyway, bike served me well as kid shlepper and heavily loaded commuter. Ready to sell it now as we're planning to move. Mine isn't stock anymore but recieved it as such, minus the seat.

Enjoy your new ride!
Leif
Thanks! I was looking into a 700c conversion. Was wondering if the stock brakes would do the job. I guess I have my answer
Old 08-13-17, 05:37 PM
MnHPVA Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JT1973
Leif
I've got a trifecta of '80s touring bikes. '83 Fuji Touring Series IV, '85 Trek 720 & '86 Jack Taylor Super (lugged) Tourist. The Fuji doesn't have the cushy ride of the Trek or the stunning looks of the Taylor. But WRT quality of build, it gives up nothing to the other two.

I have 700s on the Trek but it's a marginal fit. The brake pivots are a bit higher on the Fuji so I'm stuck with 27s. The Taylor's pivots on the frame are spaced for 27s but on the fork they are spaced for 700s. I'm running 27s on it and with Mafac Tandem cantis it works just fine. Matching serial numbers on frame, fork and both racks, so I figure they built a new fixture for the fork pivots, but didn't bother in the rear. Gotta love the Brits.

BTW my 1st good bike was the original Centurion Pro Tour, a ’76. Most of our touring has been on tandems, but I keep getting deals on touring singles. The Fuji and Trek were given to me and I paid $262.50 for the Taylor, frame, fork and racks.
Old 08-15-17, 01:51 PM
Lovenutz
kVp & m*s

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Just for my own edification, does your Belt have a metal reinforcement on the underside? My original doesn't, and either does the brown one I got for my Univega Gran Tourismo, but a 'spare' I had picked up a few years back (that has the lacing holes) does.
Sorry about the turn around time. I peaked under the saddle today and there is no metal reinforcement.