Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Anyone use the Tern Link C8?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-22, 06:18 AM
S_Oda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm looking to buy my first folding bike for commuting; I've got my eye on some second-hand Birdy's, but also interested in the Tern Link C8 as it seems good value for money.
I've read through a number of threads here where people who own Tern bikes have reported failures around the join, as well as the bolt's holding the hinge together losing all threading and various other failures. Some people go so far as to say they don't understand why anyone would buy Tern. Most of these threads date back a couple of years, is this still a problem that persists to this day?

My other hesitation is, when watching videos of the C8 being folded, it seems considerably bigger than a Brompton, so I assume it's also much chunkier than a Birdy too. I understand that this is to be expected given the difference in price and fold mechanism, but I was hoping to hear from any C8 owners how the size actually feels on day to day commutes - If I were to just use this bike primarily door to door between home and office, is the size small enough keep next to/under desks etc? Or can it kind of be an eyesore/be in the way?
Would it also be fine for, let's say, putting into the car boot/trunk of a taxi?

I'd appreciate any and all input from any long-term Tern riders, thanks!
Old 07-14-22, 07:09 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 176 Posts
Tern links are very similar to Dahon Mu and have similar dimension to speed, vitesse and helios. You can look a this thread which show what can be done with these without breaking the bank.

When it comes to transport, I put some pictures in a golf and C Class estate there . note that it was in drop bar configuration, a flat bar configuration will obviously take less room.
Old 07-14-22, 02:47 PM
Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 58 Posts
The fold isn’t as tidy or as small as a Brompton, but still possible to fit under a desk (if your workplace has the adjustable height ergonomic ones it is of course much easier). I do that with our Tern Link D8s on the days that I ride in. They can also fit comfortably in the back of a car - upright in a small hatchback eg Mazda Demios, Toyota Yaris, and on their side in the boot/trunk of a saloon/sedan.

I’ve not noticed any issues on either of our second hand Terns with the joints failing - they’re not new but don’t date back to the days when it was an issue - so I would give it a go with a Tern Link C8 as long as it looked reasonably cared for.
Old 07-15-22, 12:00 PM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 140 Posts
The Birdy may also have a suspension which makes the ride more comfortable. The fold could also be smaller.
Old 07-15-22, 03:02 PM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Folding these bikes for storage takes a little effort however unfolding it and getting the seat and bars back to the right spot takes work too. After setting up the bike mark the bars and seat to make it easier to set back up.. I bought a Tern in China and used it daily for a year, no issues other than it being heavier than expected.