Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Road Test/Bike Review (1972) SCHWINN Sports Tourer

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-21, 05:41 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts

From Bike World, August/September 1972...where the model name is correct everywhere except in the article's title.
Doh!

And from the SCHWINN Cycling '72 catalog...

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 10-24-21, 07:43 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 260 Posts
Ol' KURT did essentially defeat the purpose of that '72 Sports Tourer by changing to 51/45 in front and going backwards to Varsity/Continental like 14-17-20-24-28 in the rear.
(VARSITY & CONTI & 10sp SUBURBANS had 14-16-20-24-28 in the rear and of course the old 52/39 up front)
What a dumbass in my opinion was ol KURT, but you know it was his bike and he obviously felt most comfortable with his selected, limited-range gearing, but that really defeats the whole purpose of that Sports Tourer with its wide range gearing doesn't it.

The 1971 SPORTS TOURER was even WIDER RANGING with the 54 & 36 UP FRONT (the rear in '71 was same as '72). I have a 1971 and can tell you that YES, you don't really need to use that (28 GEAR NUMBER) that the 36 front and 34 rear provides unless you're carrying baggage(loaded) and going up a steep hill, or going up the longest steepest hill that you've seen in about three years. The great thing is that it is there IF & WHEN YOU DO NEED IT. I just don't follow dumb old Kurt's logic about just turning it('72 Sports Tourer) into an otherwise ordinary limited range 10 speed. Perhaps as a consequence of the magazine buying that Sports Tourer for doing the article review on it, that they have to do something with it..(unload it) and maybe ol Kurt got it for a song or as a comp. portion for doing the review piece on it.
Old 10-24-21, 07:50 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
"...closer examination reveals the standard rugged welded Schwinn frame."

Didn't look all that closely, did he?
Likes For BFisher:
Old 10-25-21, 07:17 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
"...closer examination reveals the standard rugged welded Schwinn frame."

Didn't look all that closely, did he?
Didn't notice the difference in tubing diameter between the Sports Tourer and Continental/Varsity, either, along with the filet brazing?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 10-25-21, 07:45 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
Yeah Schwinn kind of hid the little round Chrome Molybdenum sticker, surprised he didn’t notice it changing the freewheel.
Tim
Old 10-25-21, 08:15 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
The bike was better spec'd in '73 as it came with a shimano crane rear derailleur. It came with a nervar star crank as well but same gear range. This is a comfy bike if you like sitting fairly upright. It was designed for customers who might not be accustomed to riding on the drops of a 10 speed and that likely was true of many of Schwinn's customers BITD. It is a stout bike and no lightweight but that is Schwinn's DNA.

Likes For bikemig:
Old 10-25-21, 10:34 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
I've usually been one to tighten up a touring bike's gearing to suit the limited bulk of my foothills riding, and which doesn't detract from the goodness of a sport-tourer's geometry, tire clearance and toughness.
I never much liked a 14-17t gap in my freewheel gearing though, so I think that this author missed an opportunity to upgrade to a six-speed freewheel while he was re-designing the gearing. Especially since these Schwinn's frame/hub spacing (made for their proprietary wider 5s freewheels with chain-retaining ring) had the clearance to do so.

In today's fast-moving, often internet-based world of journalism, we see quite a few journalists who have perhaps briefly gained seemingly-sufficient knowledge of various topics more through internet browsing than anything else, and this author's comment on the bike's "standard, welded") frame reminded me of so many journalists today. Not so much their fault if they take a much-needed job with time restraints on every task, and with no incentive to inform the reader of their "green-ness" on topics that they are writing about.
He had enough bike experience to make a very good point about the hubs, however, as the serious problem of very-premature (and mostly avoidable) hub cone failures on Schwinns having French-made hubs would persist clear through the 80's due to severely over-tight hub bearings (and which is why, in addition to the weak/narrow/heavy Weinmann rims, that I typically downgrade my offer on such used Schwinns).
He seems to have also ridden the bike much longer than most of today's bike write-ups would allow,so there's that!

Last edited by dddd; 10-25-21 at 10:45 AM.
Likes For dddd:
Old 10-25-21, 12:08 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
I looked at one of those way back, the fillet brazed frame was suspect, I had read Sloane's book and wanted Nervex pro lugs....
Those were on the Paramount, that was on hopeless backorder.
Also, I thought the names of the two models, Super Sports and Sports Tourer should have been swapped.
Old 10-25-21, 04:06 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I have 4 of these Sport Tourers 1973 and they are VERY SMOOTH AND STABLE !!!!!!

Certainly not considered a " lightweight" by todays standards, but how many of us are in to racing ???

I like to go fast and have other bikes to do so...

But for a nice relaxing Sunday ride................the Sports Tourer is my " go to " bike

Those who have never ridden one should really try one.......

LOVE the Sports Tourer !
Likes For bikemike73:
Old 10-25-21, 04:57 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 417 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemike73
I have 4 of these Sport Tourers 1973 and they are VERY SMOOTH AND STABLE !!!!!!

Certainly not considered a " lightweight" by todays standards, but how many of us are in to racing ???

I like to go fast and have other bikes to do so...

But for a nice relaxing Sunday ride................the Sports Tourer is my " go to " bike

Those who have never ridden one should really try one.......

LOVE the Sports Tourer !
I'd like to find a good one I can buy at a reasonable price. They get snapped up fast and then show up on the bay at silly prices.
Care to share pics of your Sports Tourer collection?